Q2) marks on roof from something pushing through

Stujoed

Realise roof needs a clean and possible re dye. Any ideas on what the circles are and do I need to address something before doing the roof? 

any suggestions on what to use to clean and re dye roof also welcomed 

thanks 

2A7121A6-6A38-45DB-B13D-46F4B481EA22.jpeg

They are impact marks from circular foam supports when the roof is down, you can see them when you put the roof in service mode.

Do that, give them a clean. But other than that there is nothing you can do about it I'm afraid. The boxster roof design leaves a lot to be desired...

I used renovo to dye my old roof and Milton and just any car shampoo to scrub it. Fabsil (not the gold as it has no UV protection) can make the water bead off. The new colour won't last though, so it's a yearly chore. I got a new roof eventually as they all just end up looking tired.

Edited by SuperPaulie

12 hours ago, Stujoed said:

Realise roof needs a clean and possible re dye. Any ideas on what the circles are and do I need to address something before doing the roof? 

thanks 

Compression marks from where the roof lid bump stops rest on the roof to keep it from flapping about, when the roof is stowed.

I'd suggest start with a good clean and use a roof brush to see if that helps reduce them, it wont eliminate them, seen it on a few 987.1's.

Edited by iborguk

1 minute ago, JonSta said:

Don't ever put the roof down? 

You mean up, surely?

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

No - if you leave it down they'll still mark you just won't be able to see it. I agree this is a less than perfect scenario but people want their cars looking nice... 

Boxsters look better with the roof down.  The other alternative (excuse me for blasphemy) is a Cayman….

2 hours ago, EagleStar said:

Boxsters look better with the roof down.  The other alternative (excuse me for blasphemy) is a Cayman….

wash your mouth out! 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Paul P said:

BAN HIM !!!!

Who, @EagleStar for suggesting it, or @Davey P for actually acting on it?  Or, ban them both!

Seriously, @Stujoed it does take time to get these cars and the hood in particular looking like you want them to and the marks on the roof show the roof takes more maintenance/cleaning than just steel bodywork would. 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Who, @EagleStar for suggesting it, or @Davey P for actually acting on it?  Or, ban them both!

I only stay around here to keep reminding you lot of namby-pambies what a real man's car looks like........ :lol:

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Or send @Davey P round for a few hours to tell him how lovely Caymans are....

Always happy to help out, obviously..... :thumbsup_still:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 11:35 PM, Stujoed said:

thanks 

Thanks for the tips from before and in other threads. Had a go with the 3 step protex kit and it seems to have done a good job. Circles sometimes still visible in direct bright sunlight but not like they were. Excuse grainy pic, on low resolution and in garage with poor lighting. 

D55761CB-FE6C-4C71-BBF0-F9AB3AADC1CD.jpeg

• Like 3