Wheel Spacers

Raffe

Quick question for the informed collective 😀

Previously had 7mm/15mm spacers on my 987 which looked fantastic, same spec work with the 981?

Looking at Bimecc which seem to get really good reviews and competitively priced, had H&R Trak+ previously but they are on back order and twice the price.

Welcome some input from experience of fitting them.

Thanks 🤙

I started with 5mm all round on my 981, mainly as I had them in the garage and they looked great. But a few months later I went 7mm front and 15mm rears, they look excellent with the 20” alloys👌
Mine are some designtec ones which I bought off the forum but I have used the bimecc before on previous Boxsters and they were excellent 😎

• Like 1

Same size spacers front and rear would make things easier when it comes to the bolts ? I have 20mm front and rear on my 987 but obviously my wheels are smaller and I'm not recommending it to anyone else.

20 hours ago, daz05 said:

Maybe to some I guess it's the logic behind that I'm missing.

They are an aesthetic upgrade, a square set up doesn’t give you the same wheel fitment front to back. 

1 hour ago, Raffe said:

They are an aesthetic upgrade, a square set up doesn’t give you the same wheel fitment front to back. 

I haven't tried it but in theory at least widening the rear track relative to the front isn't ideal, on these I prefer to do the opposite but that's just me. ✌️

10 hours ago, daz05 said:

I haven't tried it but in theory at least widening the rear track relative to the front isn't ideal, on these I prefer to do the opposite but that's just me. ✌️

Maybe you could explain the logic behind that?

9 minutes ago, daz05 said:

They are set up to to understeer at the limit, widening the rear track relative to the front improves the stability and grip at the rear.

It's no big deal and each to their own.

Have I over done it ? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 5:26 PM, Tony Daniel said:

7mm front and 15mm rears here as well👍

Hi Tony,

Can you share pictures of your car with the spacers fitted please?

Which ones did you fit as I am thinking of doing the same on my GTS.

Any effect on handling noticed?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RBD914 v2

52382781161_e9bee85866_b.jpg

This was mine fitted with 7mm fronts and 15mm rear. It looks pretty good but the 15mm rears were a touch wide for my eyes and after talking to Daz a more balanced approach made sense so I went with 10mm all round. I had always used the 7/15 setup’s on my 986 and 987.1 and they looked great 👍 I used 5mm all round on the 987.2 Black Edition as the Spyder alloys are 5mm wider on their hub.

52432623963_23ecb03203_b.jpg

Not the best picture 😂 but the only one I’ve got at the moment with 10mm all round.

Edited by Lonewolfgjp
  • Like 1

I've been toying with the idea of trying some spacers on my 981. The only reason against is I don't want to start messing because that's a slippery slope into a big black hole. There is also the fear of wider offsets throwing rubbish and junk from the tyres up the side of the car. Adding spacers to my 996 definitely made the steering more meaty so I'm curious if it could increase the steering feel of the 981 but maybe that's wishful thinking. I guess I could try them for a bit if I whip them off my 996. Decisions Decisions. Incidentally I've found these lightweight looking jobbies with metal cut out strategically and I think they look good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363877757056

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I've been toying with the idea of trying some spacers on my 981. The only reason against is I don't want to start messing because that's a slippery slope into a big black hole. There is also the fear of wider offsets throwing rubbish and junk from the tyres up the side of the car. Adding spacers to my 996 definitely made the steering more meaty so I'm curious if it could increase the steering feel of the 981 but maybe that's wishful thinking. I guess I could try them for a bit if I whip them off my 996. Decisions Decisions. Incidentally I've found these lightweight looking jobbies with metal cut out strategically and I think they look good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363877757056

s-l1600.jpg

I ve always felt the car feels more planted with the spacers on and I do think adding a bit of width does make the steering a touch heavier which I like. I tend not to mention these points as they may just be in my head and always quote the cosmetic benefits 😂

I saw those nice lightweight spacers but they didn’t come with the bolts and sourcing the correct length bolts is a pain and that’s why I stick to buying the complete sets👍

Edited by Lonewolfgjp

On 11/26/2022 at 6:51 AM, RBD914 v2 said:

Hi Tony, Can you share pictures of your car with the spacers fitted please?

Hi Rob, I will have to check the fronts but the rears are Eibach which bolt to the hub and then nuts to hold the wheel on. No noticeable change to handling but then again I fitted them pretty soon after buying the car. I had a session round Oulton Park with some GT4 friends and kept up with there pace.

With spacers:-

IMG20220305152440

Without:- 

IMG20220120144315

With:-

IMG20220120144300

I'm not sure of my wheel size on the rear, I think some are 9.5" but the sports techno's on a GTS's may be 10" wide. Tyre size is the same for both.

Checked today and my rear wheels are 10J x 20" ET50 compared to some S wheels which are 9.5J x 20 ET45

Edited by Tony Daniel
Added wheel sizes
  • Like 1

After lots of deliberating I’ve actually gone with a 10mm all round approach too, this thread has helped so thanks all. Saw quite a few pics where the 15mm looks just slightly too wide and Tony’s pic above reaffirms that’s too much for me personally.

I have H&R springs and the x73 arb’s being fitted after Christmas, spacers will go on then too so I’ll put pics up once everything fitted.

• Like 2