Wheel Spacers

Raffe

Are there any implications with insurance or Porsche extended warranty with spacers.

I know the default answer will be “just take them off before…” but that’s cr*p advice for when you’re upside down in a hedge and the car is going to be hoiked off to a garage.

20 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Are there any implications with insurance or Porsche extended warranty with spacers.

I know the default answer will be “just take them off before…” but that’s cr*p advice for when you’re upside down in a hedge and the car is going to be hoiked off to a garage.

Spacers and longer wheel bolts can be seen as a modification so if undeclared it gives an insurance company an easy way out of not paying the claim, especially if the accident is put down to the modification that wasn't declared. You only really find out if you have an accident, then its too late and you could then be charged with driving without insurance alongside a hefty bill. 

With the warranty, if it's a faulty roof claim, they would be hard pressed to prove it was caused by spacers, but if the claim was for a failed wheel bearing/hub/suspension, that then gives them an easy get out for not paying the claim. Remember the extended warranty is actually an insurance product, so they always looks for ways to not pay out if they can.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raffe said:

After lots of deliberating I’ve actually gone with a 10mm all round approach

I might go to 10mm on the front as they are then hub centric, the 7mm are only flat spacers so the wheel is locating on a smaller amount.

@RBD914 v2these are the make of front spacers I used.... Fleabay. Don't get the cheaper ones as they are not collared bolts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

I ve always felt the car feels more planted with the spacers on and I do think adding a bit of width does make the steering a touch heavier which I like. I tend not to mention these points as they may just be in my head and always quote the cosmetic benefits 😂

I saw those nice lightweight spacers but they didn’t come with the bolts and sourcing the correct length bolts is a pain and that’s why I stick to buying the complete sets👍

The ad I linked mentions bolts included. 

8 hours ago, CMA said:

Spacers and longer wheel bolts can be seen as a modification so if undeclared it gives an insurance company an easy way out of not paying the claim, especially if the accident is put down to the modification that wasn't declared. You only really find out if you have an accident, then its too late and you could then be charged with driving without insurance alongside a hefty bill. 

With the warranty, if it's a faulty roof claim, they would be hard pressed to prove it was caused by spacers, but if the claim was for a failed wheel bearing/hub/suspension, that then gives them an easy get out for not paying the claim. Remember the extended warranty is actually an insurance product, so they always looks for ways to not pay out if they can.

Cheers, yeah that’s exactly as I figured.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, Lonewolfgjp said:

52382781161_e9bee85866_b.jpg

This was mine fitted with 7mm fronts and 15mm rear. It looks pretty good but the 15mm rears were a touch wide for my eyes and after talking to Daz a more balanced approach made sense so I went with 10mm all round. I had always used the 7/15 setup’s on my 986 and 987.1 and they looked great 👍 I used 5mm all round on the 987.2 Black Edition as the Spyder alloys are 5mm wider on their hub.

52432623963_23ecb03203_b.jpg

Not the best picture 😂 but the only one I’ve got at the moment with 10mm all round.

@Lonewolfgjp or @Raffe any recommendations for sourcing 10mm spacers and bolt sets? Also, do I need new locking nuts?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, moospeed said:

Porsche sell spacers as both an option and an aftermarket kit.   There’s Porsche part numbers for longer bolts.  

1 hour ago, Beancounter said:

I assume I still need locking wheel nuts 

I wouldn't bother with the locking wheels bolts, PITA. As mentioned above contact RSR with any queries he emails back very quickly. Make sure you get the 19mm headed bolts as he does do some that are 17mm.

Thanks to those above - Handy thread this - was just about to research spacers (for 996) that don’t have vibration issues / have been tried by others in anger.

Just ordered the 10mm from PSR9line / black / 19mm bolts. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some brilliant spacers which come in various thickness and have a much better central locating system for the wheel but I can't seem to find them now.

You know where the 3 prongs are in the middle. Well these spacers also have these. Therefore they are Porsche specific. 

Anyone seen anything like this available?

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I've seen some brilliant spacers which come in various thickness and have a much better central locating system for the wheel but I can't seem to find them now.

You know where the 3 prongs are in the middle. Well these spacers also have these. Therefore they are Porsche specific. 

Anyone seen anything like this available?

Saw these on FVD site if that’s what you were after ….? Site suggestions they are H&R.

6-B187-AA4-72-A3-4680-BA7-E-E4-F3-CD85-C

Edited by Andy Mac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Mac said:

Saw these on FVD site if that’s what you were after ….? Site suggestions they are H&R.

6-B187-AA4-72-A3-4680-BA7-E-E4-F3-CD85-C

So I just had a look at their site. I see 5mm, 7mm and 11mm. Hopefully it is obvious just looking at the pics how these would locate the wheel much better. Those 3 central prongs on the wheel hub are tapered so they are pinched by the wheel as it is bolted up - I have to use a rubber mallet to remove the rear wheels off my 981 as they are so tight. But if you use a traditional flat washer style 5mm spacer then you add a gap between the hub and the wheel, therefore the central hole of the wheel is not clamping down on those prongs as tightly as it would be without - due to the tapering. Now if the prongs of the spacer itself are wide enough then they will provide better location for the wheel. Hopefully this is all makes sense. I don't know how good these spacers are but if the dimensions are good then the shape and design must surely be superior to just simple flat spacers. I would be buying these if I needed a spacer in these thicknesses. Once you get to say 15mm and bigger then the spacers are thicker than the distance of these prongs from the hub and therefore you don't need this design which can both accommodate the car's prongs and provide another set for the wheel. I've seen no other spacers like this. I've just searched on ebay for H&R spacers and there are none like this - looking at the pics.

• 11 months later...

I just saw an ad from Pelican parts for Rennline Wheel Spacers and they have the version with 3 raised tabs I've been banging on about. Hopefully the pics do the talking. Not looked for a UK supplier but surely can't be too difficult. 

https://www.rennline.com/rennline-wheel-spacers-pair-sku-ls-10/

I prefer the look of these to the standard flat big washer type assuming those raised tabs are machined well enough to locate snug on the inside of the wheel.

Many years ago I saw some pics of an e46 m3 where the rear wheel had come off the car while in motion. It wasn't good obviously. The story was a dodgy wheel spacer caused this as it wasn't hub centric. 

If the wheel starts moving this can cause the wheel bolts to fail. I don't know if I believe that 100% but safety comes first obviously. Some people are scared of wheel spacers. But I know Porsche sell the flat type so they can't be unsafe.

Edit

Found them on Design 911 but only the 5 tab version, they do not have the 3 tab version 

https://www.design911shop.com/p/rennline-wheel-spacer-aluminium-porsche-992-718-boxster-718-cayman/

It appears the 992 now has 5 tabs [and 718?] compared to the other/older cars which have 3. I think the standard tabs on the older 3 cars are between 12mm and 15mm as Rennline don't sell a 3 pronged version with raised tabs in 15mm but they do in 12mm.

LS16-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, MickH said:

I have these on mine.  And id highly recommend.  Also has the added benefit of getting the wheels on easier

https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/wheel-accessories/wheel-spacers/1-x-porsche-981-boxster-spyder-performance-15mm-wheel-spacer-set/

I think I have a set like this which stays attached to the wheel - just through friction.