2009 Porsche Boxster S 3.4 (310bhp) 3436cc PDK - £16,995

Gramps

On 10/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, TROOPER88 said:

Prices have been coming down quickly over the past 12 months

eBay is a good barometer of where prices are going. There's been a Gen2 3.4S PDK on eBay for the last six weeks for £13995 - unsold. The type of car dealers were asking north of £25k for a year ago. WBAC valuation of my car is now less than 60% of what it was 16 months ago.

Most sellers are now way too optimistic with their asking price. The used car market went crazy during Buttercup and it was never going to last. There's more correction to come before prices can be considered sensible.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

eBay is a good barometer of where prices are going. There's been a Gen2 3.4S PDK on eBay for the last six weeks for £13995 - unsold. The type of car dealers were asking north of £25k for a year ago. WBAC valuation of my car is now less than 60% of what it was 16 months ago.

Most sellers are now way too optimistic with their asking price. The used car market went crazy during Buttercup and it was never going to last. There's more correction to come before prices can be considered sensible.

Precisely this.

I have sold quite a few Boxsters over the years on Ebay as no-reserve auctions. At the end of the day, what they sell for this way is what they are worth.

2 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

Have you a link? I was going to post if that there were decent spec 987.2 3.4 manuals at £14k I'd be very tempted to sell up my 550 with the aim being to swap for close to no extra cash in. 

20 hours ago, edc said:

Have you a link? I was going to post if that there were decent spec 987.2 3.4 manuals at £14k I'd be very tempted to sell up my 550 with the aim being to swap for close to no extra cash in. 

If you’re hard nosed not sentimental about it, this certainly seems to be the time to do that. 

Or keep both, like Gutley… :) 

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If you’re hard nosed not sentimental about it, this certainly seems to be the time to do that. 

Or keep both, like Gutley… :) 

I can't see me buying another regular ish Boxster and running 2! They would be driven even less than the one now. I could see my buying a 987 Spyder maybe. But to be honest there are too many other good cars to try both moderns and classics to be stuck with 2 normal ish Boxsters. My plan was to move house and I prioritises a double garage. Got that now but one half the garage has a load of stuff that it's a distant dream to put another car there for now 😂

4 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

2005 3.4?

I thought the 3.4 came in 2006?

I stand to be corrected and probably will be 😂

2006 model year production began in August 2005, so a 3.4 registered in 2005 is correct.

• Thanks 1

So that would be going back up at £17-18k retail I guess. 

I've had a look at the links posted, thanks to you guys, but they appear to be outlier advertised prices rather than a general advertised price trend. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

So that would be going back up at £17-18k retail I guess. 

I've had a look at the links posted, thanks to you guys, but they appear to be outlier advertised prices rather than a general advertised price trend. 

No Sir.

I would estimate that it will be for sale with a dealer by the end of the week for 20k.

I will post the link if I see it come up. 

7 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Sold for £15,500

So seller got £15k and buyer paid around £16.3k? I'd probably take a bit more than £2k off for a car a year older with 89k instead of 63k miles.

Dealer will expect between 3and 5k mark-up for repairs/prep/premises/staff before he puts meat on his table.

15 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

So seller got £15k and buyer paid around £16.3k? I'd probably take a bit more than £2k off for a car a year older with 89k instead of 63k miles.

Dealer will expect between 3and 5k mark-up for repairs/prep/premises/staff before he puts meat on his table.

You are always incredibly accurate in my book with your answers Mr Cod.

Spot on I would say 👍🏻

46 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

You are always incredibly accurate in my book with your answers Mr Cod.

Spot on I would say 👍🏻

He is also a man of impeccable taste and good judgement, as the buyer (and as far as I can tell, still the proud owner....) of my old Boxster :thumbsup_still: :lol:

I presumed it was £15k all in which would have had £17k at the very low end of re-sale. But yes, hight teens is where I would have thought the 'normal' price might be rather than at £14k retail. I expect prices will dip a bit more. 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

Haha, I see.

My guess is that Mr Cod works or has worked in the motor industry :)

No, Manager in heavy industry. I've never worked in the motor trade.

Being Lincolnshire born and bred though I have even deeper pockets and shorter arms compared to those spendthrifts over in Yorkshire and I've bought newish cars from auction in the past to avoid lining car dealer's pockets.

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

He is also a man of impeccable taste and good judgement, as the buyer (and as far as I can tell, still the proud owner....) of my old Boxster :thumbsup_still: :lol:

Hi Davey, Your car is still going strong. All the jobs it needed apart from the corroded exhaust flange bolts now done. It lives out on the drive in all weathers getting used and abused as a daily driver. The new HID bulbs in the headlights even put out enough light now to see the road when driving at night, and they slipped past the MOT tester, with the car passing two MOTs without advisories! It's currently wearing a set of immaculate 18" Cayman wheels with a set of nearly new Michelin Alpin 5 winter M+S tyres that I picked up for a song in the summer. Those tyres really stick like .... to a blanket. The original wheels will go for a powder coating refurb in January.

It's a great car and no plans to sell yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Hi Davey, Your car is still going strong. All the jobs it needed apart from the corroded exhaust flange bolts now done. It lives out on the drive in all weathers getting used and abused as a daily driver. The new HID bulbs in the headlights even put out enough light now to see the road when driving at night, and they slipped past the MOT tester, with the car passing two MOTs without advisories! It's currently wearing a set of immaculate 18" Cayman wheels with a set of nearly new Michelin Alpin 5 winter M+S tyres that I picked up for a song in the summer. Those tyres really stick like .... to a blanket. The original wheels will go for a powder coating refurb in January.

It's a great car and no plans to sell yet.

That's really nice to hear mate, I'm glad you're still enjoying it.  I spent a fair amount in the first few months of ownership after I bought it, but I've got to say, once those issues were sorted out it proved to be extremely reliable and was a joy to own. It was a fantastic introduction to the Porsche world, obviously made even better by my membership on here... :lol: