2009 Porsche Boxster S 3.4 (310bhp) 3436cc PDK - £16,995

Gramps

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Hi Davey, Your car is still going strong. All the jobs it needed apart from the corroded exhaust flange bolts now done. It lives out on the drive in all weathers getting used and abused as a daily driver. The new HID bulbs in the headlights even put out enough light now to see the road when driving at night, and they slipped past the MOT tester, with the car passing two MOTs without advisories! It's currently wearing a set of immaculate 18" Cayman wheels with a set of nearly new Michelin Alpin 5 winter M+S tyres that I picked up for a song in the summer. Those tyres really stick like .... to a blanket. The original wheels will go for a powder coating refurb in January.

It's a great car and no plans to sell yet.

That's really nice to hear mate, I'm glad you're still enjoying it.  I spent a fair amount in the first few months of ownership after I bought it, but I've got to say, once those issues were sorted out it proved to be extremely reliable and was a joy to own. It was a fantastic introduction to the Porsche world, obviously made even better by my membership on here... :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, Codfanglers said:

Really surprised that is still for sale - its the cheapest 3.4S with PDK around at the moment - even 2.9 PDKs with over 100k are being advertised for more.

Perhaps its not quite as good as it looks in the photos once you get there or it needs some meaty jobs doing like the cross over pipes etc

1 minute ago, Mattman42 said:

Really surprised that is still for sale - its the cheapest 3.4S with PDK around at the moment - even 2.9 PDKs with over 100k are being advertised for more.

Perhaps its not quite as good as it looks in the photos once you get there or it needs some meaty jobs doing like the cross over pipes etc

This was @mavis.d's old car. The seller bought it from BCA and is a bit of a knob and doesn't really know anything about the car. I was considering buying it and it does need a few bits doing but nothing massively major. Looking for the sellers address on Streetview did not help either... he does not live where the pics were taken that's for sure.

I got him down to £13,500 for it but something still didn't sit right so I did not make the long trip to Doncaster.

• Like 2

Quite a few Boxster's were auctioned today. Sometimes when a car does not meet it's reserve, BCA offer them at a buy it now price. If no one buys, then they are auctioned again. 

2 987's have been placed on with a buy it now option:

2011 987 3.4s, 97k, Black, auto, 5 owners, history - 7 service print outs, V5 present: £13,000

2012 987 2.9, 79k. Black, manual, 6 owners, history - 6 service print outs, V5 present: £13,000

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Wow, thats cheap but of course with the auction you are taking a bit of a gamble and thats why you pay the lower price.

All vehicles are graded and have a mechanical report. 

I find their grading system superb tbh. They pick up on scratches and imperfections that most people would miss but yes, you can not physically see them and drive them and this comes at a cost. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Quite a few Boxster's were auctioned today. Sometimes when a car does not meet it's reserve, BCA offer them at a buy it now price. If no one buys, then they are auctioned again. 

2011 987 3.4s, 97k, Black, auto, 5 owners, history - 7 service print outs, V5 present: £13,000

2012 987 2.9, 79k. Black, manual, 6 owners, history - 6 service print outs, V5 present: £13,000

So these will be £14k ish after fees? 

Next week we will be in the low £13s and high £12s for these cars at this run rate 😁 if it bottoms out there it's quite appealing. 

3 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Almost worth a punt at that amount.... I am guessing you need an account etc to buy?

Yes, you’d need an account and it’s trade only unfortunately.

Tbh, if I was interested in either of the above, I’d wait for them to be auctioned again (on Wednesday). You’ll very likely get it cheaper.

If you are genuinely interested in either, let me know and I’ll give you more details.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

I wonder why so many Boxsters are for sale at auction? Are they on the dealer merry-go-round?

After the last three years of spiralling car price madness, we are entering a period that sellers will find hard to accept. Cars are ultimately only worth the money you can sell them for. At £13k these 987.2 cars look a bargain, but they really are not, more sellers than buyers and the reserve prices were too high.

With people having to pay more for food, fuel, mortgages/rent, many won't feel flush and steer clear of buying Porsches. Still not the time to grab a bargain.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow. That’s where high miles 987.2 were coming down to before the World Flu kicked off. 
Ed will there be a 550 up for private sale asking 12k quite soon?

In the grand scheme of current pricing for 550s seem abnormally high. I don't know if people are actually achieving theses numbers but many are listed at comfortably over £20k. Mine is high relatively to others mileage but mechanically as good as the best out there. 

34 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

I wonder why so many Boxsters are for sale at auction? Are they on the dealer merry-go-round?

After the last three years of spiralling car price madness, we are entering a period that sellers will find hard to accept. Cars are ultimately only worth the money you can sell them for. At £13k these 987.2 cars look a bargain, but they really are not, more sellers than buyers and the reserve prices were too high.

With people having to pay more for food, fuel, mortgages/rent, many won't feel flush and steer clear of buying Porsches. Still not the time to grab a bargain.

It is not just Porsches, BCA sell thousands and thousands of cars from all different sources. 

BCA own WBAC and Cinch and a lot of stock comes from WBAC.

People think that this means the cars are rubbish but this is not the case. Humans like easy, hassle free transactions and as such business is booming for WBAC and as a result BCA. 

Many years ago I worked for a company that provides the security for BCA. Since then they have more sites and more strings to their business. They also do the logistics and checks for lease car returns and collections. More ready made stock. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

Many years ago I worked for a company that provides the security for BCA. Since then they have more sites and more strings to their business. They also do the logistics and checks for lease car returns and collections. More ready made stock. 

Manheim were doing the car returns and collections AFAIK, not BCA. 

I could be wrong but I see Manheim a lot doing the checks on lease cars being returned. 

10 minutes ago, edc said:

In the grand scheme of current pricing for 550s seem abnormally high. I don't know if people are actually achieving theses numbers but many are listed at comfortably over £20k. Mine is high relatively to others mileage but mechanically as good as the best out there. 

Exactly. CarPlay Diem. 

I think it depends which lease company and where the collection maybe from. I've had a couple of personal leases and the company leases I've returned for Alphabet and Arval have all been BCA logistics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

It is not just Porsches, BCA sell thousands and thousands of cars from all different sources. 

BCA own WBAC and Cinch and a lot of stock comes from WBAC.

People think that this means the cars are rubbish but this is not the case. Humans like easy, hassle free transactions and as such business is booming for WBAC and as a result BCA. 

WBAC price for a 2009 Boxster 987.2 3.4s PDK with 87k miles is £9150. Probably 10% less if you present it with any of the tyre valve caps is missing.

I suspect BCA wouldn't be getting many decent 987.2 cars in via the WBAC route at the moment if they make perhaps £12k at auction. Especially if people think they are a bargain if advertised for sale below £16k. 

37 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

WBAC price for a 2009 Boxster 987.2 3.4s PDK with 87k miles is £9150. Probably 10% less if you present it with any of the tyre valve caps is missing.

I suspect BCA wouldn't be getting many decent 987.2 cars in via the WBAC route at the moment if they make perhaps £12k at auction. Especially if people think they are a bargain if advertised for sale below £16k. 

WBAC is one of many. many avenues where the vehicles come from Sir.

Tomorrow I am watching a Cayman, it is entered from the Listers motor group. 

It is a 2007 S, grade 1 (the best), 1 owner and 16,000 miles; it looks immaculate.

At the same time, there is very regularly Lamborghinis, Ferraris etc being sold. 

As an example:

Thursday - Ferrari Portofino 3.9 V8 Yellow 600 Roadster / 2020 / 3531 miles / 1 owner - Guided @ £147,800 - WBAC 

• Like 1

Guy that used to service my Alfa was mates with a local BCA auctioneer. He did 3 years for fraud. He'd have a mate in the crowd. He'd start the bidding low and as soon as his mate stuck his hand up he'd bang the hammer down and they'd split the profits. We were talking about it (after he got out - I didn't visit) and he said ' they did me for 3 million but that was just what they reckoned they could prove. Still see him occasionally - always seem to be in a different Bentley. His mate who serviced my car went down for selling cars that were still on finance. Birds of a feather....

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Tomorrow I am watching a Cayman, it is entered from the Listers motor group.  

Assume that's a trade-in that is too old for Listers to retail.

Weren't independent dealers moaning last year that WBAC / BCA / Cinch were scewing the market by cutting dealers out?  They accused WBAC of paying more than trade price, Cinch charging less than retail and the independents not getting a sniff of the better cars that traders would otherwise have put through BCA?

Predictions of where prices are going,(or whatever WBAC pricing model takes into account of) could have changed if they are now only offering £9150 for an "easy deal" on a Gen2 BoxsterS.