Tyre Rating Pirelli

Stark9

I suspect many will recommend Michelin, it's the firm favourite of the premium brands (but you pay for it).

Pirelli were disliked here for a long time but I hear there is a big improvement with the latest ones going from N0 to N1.

Edit - your My Ride is confusing, it says Boxster 991 :) 

Edited by Menoporsche

I had Pirelli (19") from new but changed to Michelin PS4S. I prefer the Michelins - less harsh but equally as grippy. For me, it changed the character of the car for the better. No more side skipping when reversing too, which is a bonus. Only downside, it was noted on the OPC service as non-N rated. The 20" is, but the 19" isn't...

25 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

So can someone kindly tell me which Michelin I need and ones which ensure I still keep my warranty. I have 20 inch wheels and want to order new tyres front and back. They have given me 20K miles and still have 2k left on them (Pirelli’s)

If you are referring to a Porsche provided warranty then I would recommend you ask an Official Porsche Centre to tell you what's acceptable for your car.

Ask them for a detailed quote and take the tyre info on that to the web or your local tyre place to find the market price for warranty compatible tyres for your specific car.

In the past OPCs have been known to price match on tyres....

• Like 1

Much appreciated and a good idea

Called my dealer today and they said I need to speak to parts first and then bookings - but just want an all in price and nobody can give that to me yet and booking in currently is 5 weeks at my local dealer in London!! 

The Pirelli's are not great and particularly bad for the noted Ackerman issue.

Running Goodyear Eagle F1s on 20" wheels and have no complaints.

For those looking at Michelin's, there's a cash back offer on at the min.

MICHELIN car tyres

I also find my OPC are significantly more trust worthy in looking after my wheels so I either do a deal with them to price match.  Or buy online and get them to fit.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the Morgan, and when the Boxster needs new rubber I'll fit MPS. 

The AMG C43 had terrible Ackerman Judder when we got it, very much a tyre temperature/structure issue. We fitted new wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin tyres the judder disappeared. Quite amazing. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, Stark9 said:

Thanks and this type is auth? I have the same wheels and car still under Porsche warranty 

The PS4S =N0 is approved for the 718 but not for the 981 (see the list posted by iborguk), so technically not an approved fitment. 

Some OPCs will be ok for you to fit PS4S, but some could be arsey about it. Also the terms of the extended warranty do say that no-one other than an OPC can touch you car, and if they really wanted to difficult that would include a tyre fitter

The safest way to ensure that extended warranty is preserved is to get the OPC to supply and fit the tyres. Then there can never be an argument. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Willemite said:

The safest way to ensure that extended warranty is preserved is to get the OPC to supply and fit the tyres. Then there can never be an argument. 

Interesting point, real world not heard of it being an issue in my immediate circle but that's not to say someone hasn't been bitten by this.