Shopping for a 981 S ….

Beancounter

On 11/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, daz05 said:

No I'd prefer to add something beside it when the time is right, I want to hang onto it. Saying that I'm about to tackle some winter maintenance while it's not moving, exhaust joints are a pain and if that doesn't go to pan I might have a different attitude towards it! 🫣

Starting a little collection

I ve just had a quick look on eBay and there seems to be some nice cars available.

Not sure of your budget or colour preference, there seems to be a lot of black ones for sale at the moment.

£30-35k looks to be the going rate and I can’t see that changing much for decent cars. I know people are speculating they are going to come down and they may a little bit but I can’t imagine much change.

17 hours ago, Beancounter said:

Before I sell the 987, wil get a photo of the 981, 987 and my original 986 (sold to my in-laws 12 years ago and will also be sold soon)…. d having owned and sold a 718 cayman, think the 981 is a keeper ….

It is easy to fall into the trap of its a keeper.  The problem with that is you either have to start collecting cars or you dont get to try others.  I'm curious why the 987 never became a keeper and if maybe the 981 will follow along in a couple of years time to be replaced by something else.

I thought the 987 might be a keeper but missed some of the ‘mod cons’ which didn’t exist at the time …. If I am honest, I also regret not getting an S plus PSE - great car to drive but the exhaust noise is a big part of the drama for me!

In terms of the 981, I had never driven one until I just picked mine up and, man, I love it!  It has a perfect spec for me (importantly a heated steering wheel, where I have only ever seen one advert saying it was included!). 

By good fortune, it actually came with the original Porsche Price List brochure and by my reckoning has £16k+ of extras. The main ones being;  PDK, PASM, PSE, BOSE, F&R sensors, PSM.

In theory, this one is a keeper!  I can’t justify £70k on a car (I was quite high on the waitlist for an Emira but cancelled), and want a flat 6.  Having owned a 718, I found it a bit ‘clinical’ to drive, so even with a flat 6 not sure I would swap one for the 981 …. But who knows!!!!

First purchase is a Mr12Volt CarPlay unit - beyond that some front grills….

Pictures to follow (once I recall how I did it last time).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beancounter said:

I thought the 987 might be a keeper but missed some of the ‘mod cons’ which didn’t exist at the time …. If I am honest, I also regret not getting an S plus PSE - great car to drive but the exhaust noise is a big part of the drama for me!

In terms of the 981, I had never driven one until I just picked mine up and, man, I love it!  It has a perfect spec for me (importantly a heated steering wheel, where I have only ever seen one advert saying it was included!). 

By good fortune, it actually came with the original Porsche Price List brochure and by my reckoning has £16k+ of extras. The main ones being;  PDK, PASM, PSE, BOSE, F&R sensors, PSM.

In theory, this one is a keeper!  I can’t justify £70k on a car (I was quite high on the waitlist for an Emira but cancelled), and want a flat 6.  Having owned a 718, I found it a bit ‘clinical’ to drive, so even with a flat 6 not sure I would swap one for the 981 …. But who knows!!!!

First purchase is a Mr12Volt CarPlay unit - beyond that some front grills….

Pictures to follow (once I recall how I did it last time).

Cracking, look forward to the pics (suggest using Imgur or Flickr)

Edited by iborguk

Congratulations 🎉 

Looks great, good colour choice I’ve always liked Agate!

Sounds like it has all the important extras, don’t think I’ve seen a 981 with a heated wheel and looks to have the upgraded headlights 👌

Very nice and enjoy 👍

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Congratulations 🎉 

Looks great, good colour choice I’ve always liked Agate!

Sounds like it has all the important extras, don’t think I’ve seen a 981 with a heated wheel and looks to have the upgraded headlights 👌

Very nice and enjoy 👍

How can you tell on the headlights ?  Washer jets?)

Nice one looks nice and a very, very good spec, although the heated wheel is nice and rare it might mean that you have the steering wheel with the "paddle buttons" which are an acquired taste but you can upgrade to the 718 wheel if you have the appetite for it.

2 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Nice one looks nice and a very, very good spec, although the heated wheel is nice and rare it might mean that you have the steering wheel with the "paddle buttons" which are an acquired taste but you can upgrade to the 718 wheel if you have the appetite for it.

It has the multifunction wheel with the thumb shifters - very odd they are too! About to read the manual as I can’t quite work out how they work!!

5 minutes ago, Beancounter said:

It has the multifunction wheel with the thumb shifters - very odd they are too! About to read the manual as I can’t quite work out how they work!!

Yep I thought it would, no problem considering what else it came with, it's an easy swap in the grand scheme of things and some people like them so I hope you are in that camp!