Shopping for a 981 S ….

Beancounter

1 hour ago, Beancounter said:

It has the multifunction wheel with the thumb shifters - very odd they are too! About to read the manual as I can’t quite work out how they work!!

Don't listen to the haters. Heated wheel is the best option on these. I wouldn't be without mine as its one of my favourite parts of the car.

Just ignore the thumb shifters and let the car do the gears. I generally leave mine in Sport mode always unless sat in traffic.

Do you also have the little clock between the central air vents?

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, ATM said:

Don't listen to the haters. Heated wheel is the best option on these. I wouldn't be without mine as its one of my favourite parts of the car.

Just ignore the thumb shifters and let the car do the gears. I generally leave mine in Sport mode always unless sat in traffic.

the only issue was that if you wanted the Sports steering wheel you couldn't have it heated too

Edited by Stuart21UK

40 minutes ago, ATM said:

No Chrono - wasn’t on my shopping list.  I had it on my 718 Cayman and didn’t use it!

1 minute ago, Withy said:

That looks great.  Love an Agate 981!

Bonus that you've got painted rollover bars and folding mirrors - that's a pretty big spec car - Congratulations 

I love the fact that proper enthusiasts spot all of the details.  I have spent literally hours zooming in on car classifieds looking at Center console buttons for PSE!!!!

1 minute ago, Beancounter said:

I love the fact that proper enthusiasts spot all of the details.  I have spent literally hours zooming in on car classifieds looking at Center console buttons for PSE!!!!

A good geeky one is that since you have PDLS/+ (upgraded headlights), you have headlamp washers which are activated by a small button on the bottom of the right hand stalk.  Do it at night and the spray over the lights is cool :)

2 minutes ago, Withy said:

A good geeky one is that since you have PDLS/+ (upgraded headlights), you have headlamp washers which are activated by a small button on the bottom of the right hand stalk.  Do it at night and the spray over the lights is cool :)

Thank you!  One bizarre thing - I was out earlier in the dark looking at what other options it might have, and under the light of my phone the headlamp lenses are crazed - is that normal / fixable?  Will look at it in the daylight tomorrow 

Oh and @Beancounterregister on my.porsche.com via https://signup.porsche.com then enter your VIN from the V5, and in a few days/weeks you'll be able to view all the option codes from your car when it left the factory (although your paperwork/hardback/price list might also show that) 

Just now, Beancounter said:

Thank you!  One bizarre thing - I was out earlier in the dark looking at what other options it might have, and under the light of my phone the headlamp lenses are crazed - is that normal / fixable?  Will look at it in the daylight tomorrow 

Quite common.  Mine are also like that.  Seems to be prevention is better than cure with some PPF or similar.  I've given up looking as I think it means new lenses

9 minutes ago, Beancounter said:

Just googled the lenses …. Not great reading !  Something to add to the to do list (in time!)

11 hours ago, Beancounter said:

No Chrono - wasn’t on my shopping list.  I had it on my 718 Cayman and didn’t use it!

I think this means you dont get a sport button, right?

Sport button makes a big difference to the PDK shifting.  I consider normal mode [or not sport] to be an eco mode.  And sport mode to be a real world normal mode.  Driving the car without sport button on is pretty awful in anything other than stop start traffic.  If you give the throttle a shove it takes 2 seconds to down shift.  Like driving a 1980 3 speed auto.

14 minutes ago, ATM said:

I think this means you dont get a sport button, right?

Sport button makes a big difference to the PDK shifting.  I consider normal mode [or not sport] to be an eco mode.  And sport mode to be a real world normal mode.  Driving the car without sport button on is pretty awful in anything other than stop start traffic.  If you give the throttle a shove it takes 2 seconds to down shift.  Like driving a 1980 3 speed auto.

You can get the sport button without Chrono, just not sport plus.

This car has sport, looks nice, great spec but personally I would miss the paddles.

1 hour ago, JurassicGTS said:

You can get the sport button without Chrono, just not sport plus.

This car has sport, looks nice, great spec but personally I would miss the paddles.

Oh ok - so does sport chrono just add sport plus button and standard PDK car has the sport button as standard?

14 hours ago, Withy said:

Also auto cleans the lights every 5th spray of the windscreen.

Sports chrono turns up the speed of the PDK, only changes up once rev limiter hit and stifens the active mounts further, engine mounts and PASM (If fitted) plus adds launch control and ability to lap time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beancounter said:

I had this on my 718 - had them replaced by the dealer under partial warranty (I made a £350k contribution) however they are pretty much the same again. Also, our Macan has just started crazing too.

20 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I had this on my 718 - had them replaced by the dealer under partial warranty (I made a £350k contribution) however they are pretty much the same again. Also, our Macan has just started crazing too.

I guess you meant £350 otherwise those were pretty expensive. 

The PDLS+ on mine are listed at 2.5k a side.

@Beancounter Lens spidering is not an uncommon thing unfortunately. UV, heat and age are the root causes in the main. The only way to fix is to replace them.

Edited by iborguk

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

I guess you meant £350 otherwise those were pretty expensive. 

The PDLS+ on mine are listed at 2.5k a side.

Spidering is not an uncommon thing unfortunately.

😀😀😀 Yeah, used to quoting in ,000 so £350. Good spot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Are you running Xenons or LEDs on your Macan? I read somewhere that this normally only occurs on Xenon lights not LEDs due to the heat produced.

What is the crazing exactly? I know what it looks like, I've seen photos.  But is it effectively cosmetic or structural? If structural we'd expect to hear stories of shattered lights and I don't see them. So I assume it's cosmetic. Annoying, and debatably slightly reducing the total light output, but not a disaster. No?

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

What is the crazing exactly? I know what it looks like, I've seen photos.  But is it effectively cosmetic or structural? If structural we'd expect to hear stories of shattered lights and I don't see them. So I assume it's cosmetic. Annoying, and debatably slightly reducing the total light output, but not a disaster. No?

I’d say cosmetic and annoying. Other opinions are of course available.

I think thats been the take from the dealers / warranty on this - it's cosmetic, doesn't seem to attract an MOT failure and doesn't break - so effectively "tough luck" - which I think is a poor response, especially since a replacement is 1) the only option and 2) just as likely to have it happen again.