Shopping for a 981 S ….

Beancounter

Having owned my 987 (non S) for nearly 2 years, and loving it, thinking of flipping it for a 981 S.

One has appeared which has an unusual spec and wondered if anyone on the forum knew any of its history.

It is black, very common! ( 2014 MY) … it however has GTS bumpers front and rear, plus a duck tail rear spoiler.  At this stage I don’t know if these are OEM or aftermarket. I have a VIN check for options in process but assume, whilst the bumpers may have been a factory option (it certainly was for my 718), the spoiler has been added later.

Any insights welcome….

Edited by Beancounter

That sounds like it was owned by someone who spends too much time watching my videos 🤣.

Sounds good to me, the ducktail is hopefully from the Spyder, if you don't like it you can swap it back quite easily and probably be quids in!

I found the car, spec isn't ideal but it's more than ok and at least has PSE, Bose, climate and pdls lights. However it also has a 718 steering wheel which is a nice touch and another expensive addition.

My advice would be to move quick if everything checks out.

19 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Seems a bit pricey for an S without Sport Chrono?

What the heck have they done with the consol trim😱

Tbh it's not that important and another thing that can go wrong especially on the later builds. Sports design package, steering wheel and other bits are significantly more useful imho.

It's like it was leather but they've tried to make it look like plastic 🫣 it should just push in from there to sit flush.

They mighgt have given it a proper clean before they took the photo's. Makes you wonder how grubby it was left by the previous owner. I'm sure most of the cars owned by BoXa forum members would be a lot more presentable, even on a daily driver basis.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Not the best presentation , assume it's just come in and has not prep'd yet.

Came across this one, don't know if it's interesting....https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13172387

Bloody hell, these cars hold their price well!!! Still think they are overpriced by about 6k at the moment 🤣

Lets hope the market corrects itself so I can buy one at a realistic price 🤪

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beancounter said:

Having owned my 987 (non S) for nearly 2 years, and loving it, thinking of flipping it for a 981 S.

One has appeared which has an unusual spec and wondered if anyone on the forum knew any of its history.

It is black, very common! ( 2014 MY) … it however has GTS bumpers front and rear, plus a duck tail rear spoiler.  At this stage I don’t know if these are OEM or aftermarket. I have a VIN check for options in process but assume, whilst the bumpers may have been a factory option (it certainly was for my 718), the spoiler has been added later.

Any insights welcome….

Can you post a link to the car?

2 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Bloody hell, these cars hold their price well!!! Still think they are overpriced by about 6k at the moment 🤣

Lets hope the market corrects itself so I can buy one at a realistic price 🤪

You can have my double write off for 28 grand.

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone - some really good spotting on the spec changes!  I was also slightly confused by the leather on the console but had assumed was bad photography!

In general it is about the right spec for me - not so bothered about Chrono (which I had on my 718 but didn’t really use it) nor PASM which I have on my 987 and which is truly awful on UK roads when in ‘sport’ setting!!

in terms of the one I queried, think it might have been sold as no longer on the dealers website.

will keep looking - if anyone sees something must haves are:

- S

- PSE

- Bose

- heated seats (and really want heated steering wheel, but not sure even an option as never seen one listed!)

- PDLS lights 

thanks again for all the comment 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Are you selling?

No I'd prefer to add something beside it when the time is right, I want to hang onto it. Saying that I'm about to tackle some winter maintenance while it's not moving, exhaust joints are a pain and if that doesn't go to pan I might have a different attitude towards it! 🫣

3 hours ago, Beancounter said:

Thank you everyone - some really good spotting on the spec changes!  I was also slightly confused by the leather on the console but had assumed was bad photography!

In general it is about the right spec for me - not so bothered about Chrono (which I had on my 718 but didn’t really use it) nor PASM which I have on my 987 and which is truly awful on UK roads when in ‘sport’ setting!!

in terms of the one I queried, think it might have been sold as no longer on the dealers website.

will keep looking - if anyone sees something must haves are:

- S

- PSE

- Bose

- heated seats (and really want heated steering wheel, but not sure even an option as never seen one listed!)

- PDLS lights 

thanks again for all the comment 

I think you will find that the 981 PASM is considerably more compliant than a 987 version. I have had both cars and even on 20 inch rims my 981 is absolutely fine. Well, unless my 981 Caymans PASM is broken and stuck in boulevard ride.

• Like 1

+1 on the PASM , I had 2 987 s with it and with the £1k DSC controller it was excellent and useable. But the factory PASM on the 981 is excellent and I would of thought a must for thes dreadful uk roads.

I also really enjoy using the different Sports modes and wouldn’t consider one with out the Chrono and PSE. Although I may think different if my active engine mounts play up😩

No doubt they ride well, with or without pasm. The 981 has a longer wheelbase and is slightly lighter than the 987, these factors also contribute to this.

I like pasm because it soaks everything up on our local roads but it's nice to stiffen it up from time to time. The -10mm drop is a welcome addition 👍

7 hours ago, ATM said:

My 981 has simple passive dampers with the highest pram ride height.  It also has teeny tiny 18 inch wheels.  The ride is plusher than a plush thing feeling plush.  I think Porsche did a great job with the standard setup.

20221027-173857.jpg

Never seen that colour green before...what is it called?

23 hours ago, andygo said:

I think you will find that the 981 PASM is considerably more compliant than a 987 version. I have had both cars and even on 20 inch rims my 981 is absolutely fine. Well, unless my 981 Caymans PASM is broken and stuck in boulevard ride.

Totally agree with this, having also had both!