Your car journey - How did you end up with a Porsche?

andygo

Bit late to this topic - but here's my Porsche journey.

In truth, it probably started when I watched Steve McQueen in "Le Mans" - still my favourite Motorsport film.

I'm the mate that @Paul P mentions in his story in an earlier comment. The 911SC targa that I sold him was my first Porsche. I bought it from Nick Faure (ex works Porsche racer - think CamTune/(930 Turbo}. After a "spirited" test drive by Nick, I was hooked.

After the SC, and following an Impreza Classic and S2000, I bought my next Porsche (987.1 S Manual). then on to a 997.1 Manual Turbo, which I still own - although my collection has now been extended to include a Boxster 981S (PDK) and a Macan. 

Thread is a good read.

cheers,

Stu

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stuh said:

Bit late to this topic - but here's my Porsche journey.

In truth, it probably started when I watched Steve McQueen in "Le Mans" - still my favourite Motorsport film.

I'm the mate that @Paul P mentions in his story in an earlier comment. The 911SC targa that I sold him was my first Porsche. I bought it from Nick Faure (ex works Porsche racer - think CamTune/(930 Turbo}. After a "spirited" test drive by Nick, I was hooked.

After the SC, and following an Impreza Classic and S2000, I bought my next Porsche (987.1 S Manual). then on to a 997.1 Manual Turbo, which I still own - although my collection has now been extended to include a Boxster 981S (PDK) and a Macan. 

Thread is a good read.

cheers,

Stu

Welcome Stu. It is indeed all your fault, I think@iborguk blames me for.his habit. 

13 hours ago, stuh said:

Snap.

I watched it again at the weekend, although only from the start of the race.
I love that sountrack and I was thrilled when the soundtrack for the Steve McQueen documentary (which includes some of the LeMans tracks) appeared on Deezer.

https://deezer.page.link/HGMCfvu8KQdftoWz7

Edited by eob

i need to give the Le Mans film another go... i watched the first half an hour, and since literally no one said anything, i got bored and gave up. kinda like watching a motorsport race without any commentary - a good commentator can make any race exciting.

4 hours ago, brillomaster said:

i need to give the Le Mans film another go... i watched the first half an hour, and since literally no one said anything, i got bored and gave up. kinda like watching a motorsport race without any commentary - a good commentator can make any race exciting.

If it goes well the 963 you replaced the 919 with on your profile picture could end up as a Gulf 917 if you like it too much!

4 hours ago, brillomaster said:

There isn't really any story to speak of but the racing scenes are very good. Same style as "The Rendezvous"

Which must have been inspired by LeMans as it was 1976 and LeMans was 1971

• 5 weeks later...

My Boxster journey is coming to an end, a bad back has meant less and less use of the car over the last few months. The trouble is I can't find anything out there that I can/want to replace it with. They're either too uncomfortable, too dull or too expensive (and possibly too uncomfortable too, if it's too expensive I've not tried) 😟

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:38 PM, eob said:

There isn't really any story to speak of but the racing scenes are very good. Same style as "The Rendezvous"

Which must have been inspired by LeMans as it was 1976 and LeMans was 1971

Jesus , did the sound engineer ever sit in a car lol, no understanding of gearing….