Less expensive tyres

zcacogp

Chaps, 

I need some new tyres on the rear of my .1 Cayman. I understand that they are 235x50R17's but am a lazy hound so haven't been outside to check - someone please let me know if this is wrong. 

People often rave about quite expensive brands on here but I've had more satisfactory results with mid-range tyres on my 944. By 'more satisfactory' I mean that I prefer tyres which break away more progressively and allow the car to move about a bit more on the road, which mid-range ones seem to do more than expensive Conti's and Michelins. I've got on particularly well with Falkens, Kuhmos and Toyos. 

How do more mid-range tyres work on 987's? They seem to be 30-40% cheaper than the bigger name brands. Do people rate them or are they a waste of time (perhaps because they aren't suited to the 987 chassis, perhaps because their wear life is lower to the point that they are poor value for money). 

All observations welcome, thanks. 

• Like 1

Khumo get noted on here from time to time as a good wallet friendly option.  That said I can't complain much about the Nankang rears that came on my 986 17" rims.  I think a lot of us would rarely exploit the full performance of the latest N rated Michelin tyres, but as they are literally the only things that keep you on the road is saving £150-200 on 4 tyres really a false economy for that one time you did need a bigger tyre performance envelope?  If you read the independent tests of different tyres there is certainly an advantage in the premium brands but you pay for the research and testing that goes into getting that advantage, not to mention the marketing too.  That said I fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx when I got my 18" rims to save about £120. Goodyear Eagle F1 are often suggested too.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 2

You say you prefer tyres “that break away progressively “ -987’s don’t generally break away progressively at all.they grip grip and let go suddenly in my experience.

Predictably Michelin PS4S for me,excellent in wet and cold,superb in warmer weather.why take the chance with anything else for the sake of a couple of hundred quid at best for a full set? I really wouldn’t consider anything else for my 987.

• Like 2

As mentioned, many of us have used Kumhos and found them excellent for wet and dry grip, but they do wear out fast. As also mentioned, if you want progressive breakaway, you probably need to go back to a front engine car.

I had flakens on the front of my 987.2S in 19” size - good wet and dry grip and never found the limits of them when I was driving - sometimes the ratings of mid range tyres are on par or better than more expensive tyres. No right or wrong answer, whatever your preference 

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

I had flakens on the front of my 987.2S in 19” size - good wet and dry grip and never found the limits of them when I was driving - sometimes the ratings of mid range tyres are on par or better than more expensive tyres. No right or wrong answer, whatever your preference 

Was there bits falling off them  :whistle:

• Haha 2

Guys, 

Thanks for the comments. I'm busily reading reviews a-plenty and the 2023 ADAC test (which tends to be pretty good) rates the Falken ZE310 highly. It does well on wear as well, FWIW. Interestingly, the ones that beat it on the test aren't so easy to get hold of; the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 wins, but no-one seems to sell it (although the Efficientgrip is readily available it is a different tyre.) Test is here: 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

On that basis I'm quite tempted by the ZE310, and I've had good results from Falken tyres before.

Interesting point about the breakaway characteristics of mid-engined 987's compared to front-engined 944's. Both cars have a very similar front:rear balance, the big difference is the polar moment of inertia (very low for the 987, very high for the 944 - don't forget that the gearbox is between the rear wheels.) I'd have thought that the breakaway characteristics would be heavily influenced by the tyre choice (and chassis geometry), non? 

• Thanks 1

When I acquired my Box she was shod with Bridgestone Potenza Re050 and I didn't rate them at all especially the hairline cracks on the outer walls . I actually took photos and emailed them and they said it was not detrimental to the performance and probably caused by uv rays and solvent based tyres dressings....b*ll*x, they were less than 2 years old.

Recently gone back to Toyo Proxes Sports on the rear and they're excellent in both wet and dry and shall match the fronts in a few thousand miles.

Tyres are such a personal preference and everyone has an opinion to the point of allegiance to a brand, almost. 

Apart from the cr*p ditch finders on the market I don't think there's difference between mid range tyres and much of the cost had a lot to do with for a brand name.

Just my 2p worth of course.

20 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Guys, 

Thanks for the comments. I'm busily reading reviews a-plenty and the 2023 ADAC test (which tends to be pretty good) rates the Falken ZE310 highly. It does well on wear as well, FWIW. Interestingly, the ones that beat it on the test aren't so easy to get hold of; the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 wins, but no-one seems to sell it (although the Efficientgrip is readily available it is a different tyre.) Test is here: 

On that basis I'm quite tempted by the ZE310, and I've had good results from Falken tyres before.

Interesting point about the breakaway characteristics of mid-engined 987's compared to front-engined 944's. Both cars have a very similar front:rear balance, the big difference is the polar moment of inertia (very low for the 987, very high for the 944 - don't forget that the gearbox is between the rear wheels.) I'd have thought that the breakaway characteristics would be heavily influenced by the tyre choice (and chassis geometry), non? 

I had Falken tyres on my recent Corvette C4 and was always impressed with the grip especially with all the available torque of the V8.

I really rate Uniroyal Rainsports but have tried them on everything apart from a Boxster, unfortunately.  They don't use make the size you list anyway.

Kumho KU39 can be got in the right size.  I've just had a set put on the Vanquish and previously had them on a VXR8 and found them quite acceptable. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Guys, 

I can happily drift a front engined rear wheel drive car  like a Scandinavian rally driver,but 987’s simply do not handle like this. When they let go they do it very suddenly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I believe wet and dry grip are similar but Michelin win on longevity. Which is relevant for a daily saloon but not for the Boxsters that do 2-4k per year. 

Providing they aren't something like twice the price I would pick Michelins everytime.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

I really rate Uniroyal Rainsports

A friend of my Pop's had a tyre place back in the day and he was a real character, fond of the Guinness too. 

Anywho he had a UniRoyal cardboard advertising sign which was an orangutan on a tyre swing which he let me have, pretty sure I still have it somewhere. Might put it in my man-cave if I can find it :)

3 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Guys, 

Just a note, that test is for regular car tyres, not sports tyres, so don't get misled by it.  Great for your Golf TDi, BMW 320, or whatever but maybe not for Boxsters.

43 minutes ago, EXY said:

Anywho he had a UniRoyal cardboard advertising sign which was an orangutan on a tyre swing which he let me have, pretty sure I still have it somewhere. Might put it in my man-cave if I can find it :)

Now, whenever I see a Orang Utan, I'll think of you. :whistle:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Araf said:

Now, whenever I see a Orang Utan, I'll think of you. :whistle:

That's the fellas  :laugh: :laugh:

Don't think I've ever seen the advert, thanks for that.

To be fair anytime I see Bob Hoskins on the TV it reminds me of you.

And Robert Kilroy Silk is a blinder for @Menoporsche

Funny old world  :)

27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

They were chimps, not orangutans.

That's what Lamborghini owners say about Porsche owners, unless the Porsche is Orange of course.

Potato, -  Po-tat-o

• 1 month later...

Chaps, 

Update: I put the Falkens on the back of my 987C and am impressed with them. Probably less than 500 miles in but happy so far. 

Will they last well? How will they do in the winter? I don't know, but they seem to be easily the match for the Michelins which they replaced (which were 9 years old but not entirely worn out.) To anyone asking whether they are worth it, I'd say that yes they are. 

Thanks for your input.