Black 986 hardtop

SPC

I bought a blue one last year for £300. Which is a decent price. Anything up to £500 is fair but a lot of them on the bay are well over priced. Keep your eye out and one will turn up. My car is red and I was looking for a red or black, but got the blue as it came in at a good price. I was going to paint or wrap it. But not going to bother as only on a few months and you can’t see it when you are driving. 😉🤙🏻

2 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm struggling to find a fitting kit for a reasonable price 

Any suggestions?

Look out for one with the fitting kit included...?  

Lots advertised for top money. But they never seem to sell. Just gotta check the bay and other places regularly and pounce when you find one that suits your requirements. Fitting kits are a tad pricey but do come up from breakers occasionally. You may also need to buy a centre latch cover plate and plastic locators for the front as these usually go missing. And if you don’t have, you can get the inserts for the fitting kit for when the roof is off. I fitted the kit and waited for roof to pop up on the bay, so I could drive out and put on the car at purchase. 🤙🏻

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I always said these were 6-700 then a month ago some people had said they hadn't seen them for less than 1k. I guess C ovid has stuffed those prices also.

Sounds more like 987 hardtop money as they are rarer.

3 hours ago, SPC said:

Thanks for the information everyone. So if I but one off an owner i'll need to get a the fitting kit with it. So I assume you can remove the kit off easily? 

Check your car to see if the kit has been previously fitted. Quite a few bods don’t want the hardtop and flog it. You might be lucky. 😉

Easy to remove the kit. Just one bolt in the clamp that holds it. Loads of YouTube vids to support this. 🤙🏻

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greenman986s said:

I said reasonable price 😏

OPC is the cheapest place for a hardtop fitting kit, so worth a phone call. Almost any part that doesn't have aftermarket production will be cheapest at OPC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You also get 10% off at OPC if you have classic Porsche membership , incidentally I got a good deal for my 986 hardtop from a forum member on here , I found the fitting kit fiddly to fit .be careful not to lose the bolt that goes into the side trim 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I remember a comment about poking the bolt into a plastic bag, then trying to fit it, and ripping the bag off after

Are you sure they were talking about cars.....? 😂

Good hard tops are difficult to find.

Most are abused in storage so check leading edges for corrosion or be prepared to respray it......

On the point of storage they are big lumps so might be advisable to invest in a hanging arrangement, a trolley carrier or a classic Porsche wall mount with hardtop cover bag.

I got one from a guy on here for £500 or so. Really lucky as he lives quite close to me (30 mins or so) and was happy to wait for me to get the fitting kit from Porsche (which took weeks as they were out of stock). Finally got the kit, installed it and went and collected the hardtop. By chance it turned out to be the exact right colour (Ocean Blue Metallic) but I would have bought it nonetheless. In decent shape too. Some corrosion starting on the edges and a scratch across the top but it is a very worthwhile investment and one on which I am sure never to lose money. If you can get hold of one for around £500 or £600 then grab it :)

Just got one for £700. I just found someone selling a boxster with the hardtop. Had to remove the fitting kit off his boxster and refit to mine, best part of 30 mins after removing the side trim on both.

Would have never paid £1299 😂 GLWS 

29 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I’ve got a black one with fitting kit if interested? £600 would probably do it. Share the joy and all that. 

I would be interested in that. I am in North Essex. I will send you a PM.