Dash cam fitment

JurassicBGTS

Just installed a dash cam, going to take a couple of sd cards for my trip to the IoM and the two unrestricted runs over the TT circuit, so I can keep the videos.

I have plugged it in to the cigarette socket in the passenger footwell, but it seems to be permanently powered up. This I guess could lead to battery drain?

Anyone fitted a dash cam? Where do you have it plugged into? Any issue with battery drain?

3 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Just installed a dash cam, going to take a couple of sd cards for my trip to the IoM and the two unrestricted runs over the TT circuit, so I can keep the videos.

I have plugged it in to the cigarette socket in the passenger footwell, but it seems to be permanently powered up. This I guess could lead to battery drain?

Anyone fitted a dash cam? Where do you have it plugged into? Any issue with battery drain?

Interesting. So I have a Nextbase Dashcam plugged into that same socket in my 2017 base 718 and it turns off after "a bit"

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Interesting. So I have a Nextbase Dashcam plugged into that same socket in my 2017 base 718 and it turns off after "a bit"

I have the Nextbase also. I thought it was turning off, but put the camera back into my Macan today and noticed the red light on the cigarette plug on the Boxster has stayed on. Maybe it's because I don't have the camera connected, will refit the camera to the mount and check?

I used  a FitcamX model C on my 718 and it was wired to a hot fuse in the fuse box.

I've fitted one into the 981 (same Model C camera) and they now can supply  a short wiring harness on request on order that takes power from the rear view mirror. And means you don't have to wire to the fuse box.

https://www.718forum.com/threads/fitcamx-fitment.27140/post-330133

Edited by moonshine
Link added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I used  a FitcamX model C on my 718 and it was wired to a hot fuse in the fuse box.

I've fitted one into the 981 (same Model C camera) and they now can supply  a short wiring harness on request on order that takes power from the rear view mirror. And means you don't have to wire to the fuse box.

https://www.718forum.com/threads/fitcamx-fitment.27140/post-330133

Did you buy it in the UK or from the US?

29 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Did you buy it in the UK or from the US?

I bought it from here https://fitcamx.com/collections/porsche/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-porsche?variant=40939761270956

It came direct from China. If you do order one, message them via the chat window with your order no and ask for the rear view mirror powecable ( they  sent me the Macan mirror power cable by mistake - If you want me to post that to you I can) they apologised and sent me the 981 /718 mirror cable once advised of the mistake 

18 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Did i read the accessory socket remains live if something is plugged in - that way it can be used for a ctek type battery conditioner?#

On the 987 at least - it stays active if there is something supplying power to it, so as far as I understand it, CTEK will keep it alive (it certainly does that), but dashcam wouldn't. Never actually tested that myself but that apparently is the theory,.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

On the 987 at least - it stays active if there is something supplying power to it, so as far as I understand it, CTEK will keep it alive (it certainly does that), but dashcam wouldn't. Never actually tested that myself but that apparently is the theory,.

Yes that’s the theory. I have the smokers package on mine and use the  ciggy lighter socket for the ctek.

I just bought two new front/rear tidy cams to replace my years old bullet front cams.I have wired inline from a piggyback in fuse box a battery saver.you can set a voltage and it will power cam till it drop to that preset hence saving battery for next start cycle.inbuilt capacitor covers if it’s off and it detects an impact .

good deal on these atm   Vantrue s1 + rear cam 

https://www.vantrue.com/collections/all-dash-cam/products/vantrue-s1

https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Edited by zagamuffin
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Patt said:

footwell takes ages to turn off - I was using mine s a phone charger and often noticed the LED still lit.

I now take the power from the PCM for phone lead.

Yes, that is what I am seeing in the footwell cigarette socket.

Plugged in another USB adapter which again has the led light and so far the led light is staying illuminated, which I guess means the dash cam is still drawing power.

I havent read the whole thread

On 4/23/2023 at 7:33 PM, iborguk said:

I have a Nextbase and its plugged into the footwell socket, it goes off after about 20 mins on my 981

• Like 2

Finally the led light went out overnight. It had been showing all day yesterday.

Maybe as the battery on the Nextbase dash cam is on it's way out, it keeps trying to charge or only charges very slowly and the socket doesn't turn off until the charge demand of the accessory is met. Once fully charged hopefully it will turn off after 20 mins.