Over sensitive horn

Everywhen

Yesterday when I was parking up my Boxster a piece of card approx 5cm x1cm covered in black gaffa tape fell out of the steering wheel from the gap between the horn and the actual wheel.

This afternoon as I went for a drive, every the slightest touch and every single bump in the road made the horn go off, it was like a clown's car!

I now know what the card was for, thankfully I hadn't thrown it away so hastily pushed it back in place.

Has anyone else experienced this?

22 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Yesterday when I was parking up my Boxster a piece of card approx 5cm x1cm covered in black gaffa tape fell out of the steering wheel from the gap between the horn and the actual wheel.

This afternoon as I went for a drive, every the slightest touch and every single bump in the road made the horn go off, it was like a clown's car!

I now know what the card was for, thankfully I hadn't thrown it away so hastily pushed it back in place.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't personally but not an uncommon issue/fixable thing with the steering wheel airbag frame/bushings.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/36185-horn-problem.html

Edited by iborguk

I quite enjoy driving my 986 but it doesn't give me the horn each time I give it some beans 😂

Yes. The card placed at the top behind the airbag is a temporary fix. The airbag is a heavy item 'suspended' on 4 diaphragm 'springs' which separate it from the airbag frame. When the 'springs' fail they can't stop the momentum of the airbag when stopping, going over bumps etc and the horn sounds. Very awkward when you pull up behind someone stopped at traffic lights and give them an unwarranted blast!

Two fixes. One, replace the airbag frame. Two, position O rings either side of the existing diaphragm springs and reassemble. The second option is cheaper and is a tried and tested fix.

There are online how to's.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Some O rings cured my overactive horn when driving over bumpy roads.

It’s still quite sensitive though, the slightest touch sets it off.

May be a thicker O-ring required.

• 4 months later...

Thank heavens for this place and the search engine. 

The little piece of cardboard that had been stuck in the thin gap on the steering wheel fell out on Thursday and it became so sensitive I 

had to remove the horn fuse.  I’m not very popular with my neighbours right now.😁

Got exactly the same problem here. On the way to work last week car in front stopped. I braked, and then the horn blasted long and loud. Driver in front giving me the pig wave and shouting obscenities at this arrogant moron in the Porsche.

Cant remember when I have been so embarrassed.

I actually had the problem last year and fitted some new O rings which cured it. Im guessing I need to do the job again, with thicker O rings.

Fixed my horn problem by gluing 4 rubber O rings on the back of the Airbag frame and a further 4 glued to 

the 4 bolts that attach to the frame. Box of 5O assorted O rings from ECP at 99p a box. Bargain.

Cleared the Airbag light but auto scan came up with an Oxygen fault on Bank 2, I’m assuming this is a lambada sensor but no CEL ight on dash so could it be a leak on the exhaust itself instead?