Front Grills, do they raise temps?

carl s

Lot's of people have recommended getting a set of front grills to protect my new a/c condensers but has anyone seen oil & water temp rises after they fitted the grills? The reason I ask is that I've come from the MX5 world where it's generally accepted that adding a grill to the "mouth" of an MX5 raises temps. I had oil & water VDO gauges on my last MX5 and the oil temp went down by 12 degrees, water down by 18 degrees during fast motorway cruising - just by removing the aftermarket front grill.

I haven't noticed any issues on mine, but then again I didn't really take note of the temps before the grilles were fitted.

The car does seem to take quite a while to warm up to operating temperature (i.e. The water and oil temps are slow to rise) but of course that might have been the same previously. Sorry that's not really much help, but others on here will no doubt come back with a definitive answer.

• Like 1

I bought my car 2nd hand from an OPC and when I queried the lack of grills (I got in touch with the PO before closing the deal) the sales manager told me with a straight face that they had to remove them as they might cuss the car to overheat. I struggled not to laugh out loud.

I happily run them on my car - any effect they have on cooling is surely marginal and offset by the lack of leaves, small birds and litter that can get scooped up without the grills in place.

• Thanks 1

I doubt they actually cause an issue, but I had an OPC service manager explain it to me once - he said "if we say 3rd party grills are OK, then someone turns up with 2 bits of plywood with a 5 mm hole in them, we can't say "your grills are causing the problem even though they obviously are, we also can't say brand x is ok but not brand y or diy - so unless porsche themselves sell them or rebrand them - we are kind of stuck with the company line ...."

Porsche should provide as standard or as an option in my opinion if they are going to take a position on it, but as we know - they don't

• Like 1

The GT cars have mesh as standard !

I made my own protection from plastic mesh off ebay - think it cost me £12 and a half day to trim and make tidy.

2.5 years of warranty work at Porsche Reading and not one rejected for the mesh.

No extra temps noticed either.  Plus if I was concerned I just switch on sports mode and they drop back down - even stationary in traffic.

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

I had an OPC service manager explain it to me once - he said "if we say 3rd party grills are OK, then someone turns up with 2 bits of plywood with a 5 mm hole in them, we can't say "your grills are causing the problem even though they obviously are

I got a grade A for my Law O-level, do you think I should offer my services?

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

I bought my car 2nd hand from an OPC and when I queried the lack of grills (I got in touch with the PO before closing the deal) the sales manager told me with a straight face that they had to remove them as they might cuss the car to overheat. I struggled not to laugh out loud.

I happily run them on my car - any effect they have on cooling is surely marginal and offset by the lack of leaves, small birds and litter that can get scooped up without the grills in place.

It's possible that the aerodynamics of the MX5 works differently from the Boxster/Cayman, The MX5 mouth is very central and on a curved section, whereas the a/c rads are fairly perpendicular to the ground and on the sides. Whatever the reason it's good that the grills don't have such an effect  as they do on the MX5 👍

1 hour ago, Patt said:

OMG I remember that advert too.

1 hour ago, carl s said:

Maureen Lipman if I'm not mistaken 😄

OMG I can remember when Maureen Lipman was hot, well, luke warm at least.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Go on then.  Find a photo of “luke warm Lipton”.  

Just Google "Maureen Lipmann The Sweeny", I CBA to do the necessary to post here 😁

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

They already had colour by then?

Rose tinted goggles.  

“ leave it guv’nor - he’s had enough “ 

Edited by Paul P
  • Haha 1