Service at time or mileage interval ?

Medic-one

So I've had my Boxster 2 years now, and on start up it now says: "Service due". 

However I remember taking a picture a while back when it says service due in so many miles and/or so many days, and it basically then said (on the dash) it was due at either : 

- November 2022
- 80.000 miles. 

I'm now sitting at 73.600 miles so still a fair bit of the 80.000 miles. 

Last big service was at 61.000 in January 2020 and I've had the coolant (and water pump) replaced a year ago at just under 70.000

So just wondering what people tend to go by when they go in for a service, the date or the total mileage ? 

Pic for attention
305637845_10162244007192818_397765641390

The service programme is xx miles or xx months, which ever is sooner.  If you have done 19,000 miles in the last 28 months, I hope there has been an oil & filter change at least as well as the cooling system work...

That appears to be overdue the service due in November 2022. I assume you do a few longer drives rather than lots of short trips, hence it allowing almost 3 years between oil changes. Still seems a big gap though.

Cheers folks. 

It's not really been used over winter as it's a weekend toy (kept in my garage) hence I've missed the November service, but I'll get it booked in this month then. 

Is there a 10.000 service interval on these cars, or would that be a 20.000 one ? 

I'll compare a few quotes from local (Porsche) garages but what should I be looking at spending (roughly) for that ? 

4 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

Cheers folks. 

It's not really been used over winter as it's a weekend toy (kept in my garage) hence I've missed the November service, but I'll get it booked in this month then. 

Is there a 10.000 service interval on these cars, or would that be a 20.000 one ? 

I'll compare a few quotes from local (Porsche) garages but what should I be looking at spending (roughly) for that ? 

20k/2 years , whichever is first, is the official schedule.

If the last big service was done Jan 2020 then your minor service was Due Jan 2022 and your next major was due Jan 2024.

Don't forget you need brake fluid every 2 years as well.

i'd get it done ASAP..... nearly 3 1/2 years between oil changes is too long, even the 2 year schedule is too long IMO :)going forward maybe try and change the oil every MOT or something so its kept fresh and up to date. 

Good luck 

yep, oil and filter changed annually, regardless of mileage.

just get it serviced when its in for its MOT - works my daily diesel, which does 14000 miles a year, and my boxster, which only does 3000 miles a year.

it might be overkill, but oil changes are a lot cheaper than engine changes!

17 hours ago, brillomaster said:

yep, oil and filter changed annually, regardless of mileage.

just get it serviced when its in for its MOT - works my daily diesel, which does 14000 miles a year, and my boxster, which only does 3000 miles a year.

it might be overkill, but oil changes are a lot cheaper than engine changes!

I agree with everything said here ^ 

Two years between oil changes is too long IMHO, regardless of the mileage, so mine gets done every year (and my mileage is only around 3000 - 4000 a year). Each to his own though, obviously, and I guess lots of people stick religiously to the 2 yearly servicing without any problems.

we have a 2011 987.2 as well and will get the oil changed annually even though its only done 3k miles a year (currently on 55k)

I did the air filters at the weekend as that's relatively easy (intake one was much cleaner than usual due to low mileage )

What I wonder with a 2011 car is what may be due to be replaced due to age like rubber joints/stops... or do they last longer?

1 hour ago, Kirkm said:

we have a 2011 987.2 as well and will get the oil changed annually even though its only done 3k miles a year (currently on 55k)

I did the air filters at the weekend as that's relatively easy (intake one was much cleaner than usual due to low mileage )

What I wonder with a 2011 car is what may be due to be replaced due to age like rubber joints/stops... or do they last longer?

Exhaust manifold studs and coolant  pipes are two to check if they haven’t been done.