Retrofitting parking sensors

Ol' Shatterhand

Some time next month I will finally be addressing my battle-scarred daily road warrior's many cosmetic deficiencies. As part of this long-overdue undertaking, both front and rear bumpers will be resprayed.

I think this a good opportunity to retrofit rear parking sensors. My rear bumper has a bum rash from the last time I misjudged the distance to the wall behind my allocated parking bay and I'd rather minimise the chances of a repeat occurrence after the current damage is repaired. 

Has anyone here retrofitted aftermarket or OEM parking sensors (without the warts, whose looks I cannot live with)? I don't want any non-OEM addenda visible in the cabin, and I don't know what the OEM system audible cues sound like, but in the spirit of a "sympathetic" upgrade, something that sounds like the OEM system would be preferable.

Is integration straightforward? Is there a (hopefully cost-effective) kit you would recommend? Is there one you would avoid? Halfords doesn't seem to stock parking sensor kits anymore... 

You will find the 4 OE sensor positions marked on the inside of the rear bumper moulding with crosses.  At least a couple of people on here have fitted aftermarket systems.

I fitted Cobra flush sensors. Sadly between buying it in UK, posting it to Portugal, getting sensors painted and fitted, it gives an inconvenience of delayed reaction and now I can’t return it. But generally it works and looks great, I just need to reverse slowly. 

22 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I fitted Cobra flush sensors. Sadly between buying it in UK, posting it to Portugal, getting sensors painted and fitted, it gives an inconvenience of delayed reaction and now I can’t return it. But generally it works and looks great, I just need to reverse slowly. 

I had the exact same issue with these sensors - there is a delay when the car is first started and you engage reverse. It pretty much means they're useless for immediate use. I thought it was canbus related so bought a canbus isolator. All to no avail. 

Laserline do a fully flush kit so may be worth checking theirs to see if it's 100% compatible. 

You have set me off on pricing this up with combination of the Porsche 986/996 electronics but flush 987/997/955 sensors.  Looks like it can be done for about £300 if you make up some loom bits yourself and depending on the number of Porsche genuine new/salvage and aftermarket parts you want to use.

One of my first jobs was to fit a set of reversing sensors. 

The ones I bought were in a plain white box and similar to the ones in the link below. Obviously some will say they are a pile of **** because they are only £20 but mine have worked faultlessly for the best part of two years. 

OEM FLUSH FIT PARKING SENSOR KIT - CLEARANCE STOCK | eBay

I've used the hole saw to fit bumper sensors in the past but the set I bought similar to the one above had a tool like the one below which I would recommend you use as it gives a better finish with a slightly radiused smooth hole.

Sealey Parking Sensor Aid Bumper Hole Cutter 19mm 5054511203646 | eBay 

A light skim of spray colour then lacquer to the sensors. Don't worry about getting paint on the foam - it just peels off in a ring once it has dried.

I fitted the sensors into the holders before sticking into the bumper. Cleaned the bumper so the 3M pads stuck but also keyed around the holders and added three dots of epoxy resin to make sure they stay in place. The sensors screw into the holders so they can be adjusted and set flush with the bumper but make sure you don't put ANY stress on the cables.

Power from the reversing lights - I have no can-bus issues.

I also fitted one of these type cameras between the number plate lights whilst the bumper was off.

Car Reversing Rear View Camera Infrared Night Vision Auto Parking Monitor | eBay

Run the alarm cable into the cabin under the rain tray - no holes needed. I tried it in the boot but couldn't hear it well enough.

The hardest part is removing and re-fitting the bumper Torx screws under the rear spoiler. A 6mm hex ratchet for £8 is a good investment for accessing these.

DON'T fit front parking sensors. My son fitted a combined set and they were a PITA.

I don't know if they sound OEM but they look it and do the job perfectly well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

One of my first jobs was to fit a set of reversing sensors. 

The ones I bought were in a plain white box and similar to the ones in the link below. Obviously some will say they are a pile of **** because they are only £20 but mine have worked faultlessly for the best part of two years. 

OEM FLUSH FIT PARKING SENSOR KIT - CLEARANCE STOCK | eBay

I've used the hole saw to fit bumper sensors in the past but the set I bought similar to the one above had a tool like the one below which I would recommend you use as it gives a better finish with a slightly radiused smooth hole.

Sealey Parking Sensor Aid Bumper Hole Cutter 19mm 5054511203646 | eBay 

A light skim of spray colour then lacquer to the sensors. Don't worry about getting paint on the foam - it just peels off in a ring once it has dried.

I fitted the sensors into the holders before sticking into the bumper. Cleaned the bumper so the 3M pads stuck but also keyed around the holders and added three dots of epoxy resin to make sure they stay in place. The sensors screw into the holders so they can be adjusted and set flush with the bumper but make sure you don't put ANY stress on the cables.

Power from the reversing lights - I have no can-bus issues.

I also fitted one of these type cameras between the number plate lights whilst the bumper was off.

Car Reversing Rear View Camera Infrared Night Vision Auto Parking Monitor | eBay

Run the alarm cable into the cabin under the rain tray - no holes needed. I tried it in the boot but couldn't hear it well enough.

The hardest part is removing and re-fitting the bumper Torx screws under the rear spoiler. A 6mm hex ratchet for £8 is a good investment for accessing these.

DON'T fit front parking sensors. My son fitted a combined set and they were a PITA.

I don't know if they sound OEM but they look it and do the job perfectly well.

And no issues with the sensors not working when you put the car into reverse when just started? Is your car a tiptronic? 

1 hour ago, The Caped Crusader said:

And no issues with the sensors not working when you put the car into reverse when just started? Is your car a tiptronic? 

My car is a manual and no issues at all. It gives a single beep when selecting reverse then goes silent until something is within range. The system will become active whenever the reversing lights are on.

3 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

My car is a manual and no issues at all. It gives a single beep when selecting reverse then goes silent until something is within range. The system will become active whenever the reversing lights are on.

That's interesting because the Cobra ones I fitted do not work as well. 

On 5/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, The Caped Crusader said:

I had the exact same issue with these sensors - there is a delay when the car is first started and you engage reverse. It pretty much means they're useless for immediate use. . 

No that isn’t my problem, the delay is between getting closer to an object and changing the tone of the sensors. I have to reverse a bit, wait 1-2s, listen for the beeps to change, reverse a bit more if necessary. Annoying but still quicker than getting out to look. 

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

No that isn’t my problem, the delay is between getting closer to an object and changing the tone of the sensors. I have to reverse a bit, wait 1-2s, listen for the beeps to change, reverse a bit more if necessary. Annoying but still quicker than getting out to look. 

I've fitted five of these type of systems to various cars over the last ten years - the first set being the ugly warty jobs - and apart from a twisted and broken cable in the back of one of the sensors, never had a problem with them. 

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

That's not the same issue I have. 

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You are welcome to come and refit mine :) 

I'd love to, but have a policy of never touching anyone's car other than wife's, kids and my own. I also decline anyone's request for assistance with house electrics or plumbing.

Other than the legal side and plenty of my own stuff to do, if anything totally unrelated ever goes wrong in the future with something you've touched, you'll get the blame and/or be expected to drop everything to go round and sort them out.

11 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

I'd love to, but have a policy of never touching anyone's car other than wife's, kids and my own. I also decline anyone's request for assistance with house electrics or plumbing.

Other than the legal side and plenty of my own stuff to do, if anything totally unrelated ever goes wrong in the future with something you've touched, you'll get the blame and/or be expected to drop everything to go round and sort them out.

Oh so true....

Tongue was in cheek, totally understand you :) 

My problem as I hinted is that there are two parties involved (sale, and fitting), in different countries even, and 100% guarantee that each will blame the other. I don't know the answer and can't be bothered to find out. Cobra are supposed to be highly reliable. Why mine aren't, I won't find out.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

It's alright he's a flight away :plane: