Exhaust - I need a new one.

Everywhen

The fella who is replacing the clutch, RMS and IMS on my 986 2.7 has emailed to say the exhaust turned to dust when they removed it, and to call him on Monday.

I strongly suspect the call will simply be "You need another exhaust mate".

Am I correct in assuming that the ones available for £180 - £300 on eBay are all hideous drone boxes and that the only solution is either finding a decent used box or  a new one by Dansk?

The DesignTek version for my 987.1 is stainless steel, so has a much longer life expectancy than buying a second hand or even new OEM system. Mine is valved and I really like it, but it does seem that non-valved versions can be drone boxes.

If you can afford the valved one, it seems to get good reviews here. And remember a new one will be quieter after 1-2000 miles, AIUI. 
Or just buy a drone box and pay someone to put a balance pipe before fitting to the car.  

This is the fear I have on my system.  It is staying put until it completely disintegrates or has to be taken off.  Minimum hassle and nearest to OE is Dansk.  Bear in mind the original system has done 20+ years so they are pretty impressive really.

BTW What year is the car?  Any particular reason you are doing the the IMSB as well as the RMS or just for peace of mind 'while you are in there'?

Edited by ½cwt

I've just coughed up for my new exhaust. It'll be installed 9th June. I've gone for Dansk at a cost of 2.5K fitted. I'm actually looking forward to it as it's been running on a bandage for a few months. It's a big ticket item (Porsche quoted 5.6K plus a £300 contingency fund in case it's difficult to detach) but my original exhaust has lasted 18 yrs, so I can hardly complain.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

This is the fear I have on my system.  It is staying put until it completely disintegrates or has to be taken off.  Minimum hassle and nearest to OE is Dansk.  Bear in mind the original system has done 20+ years so they are pretty impressive really.

BTW What year is the car?  Any particular reason you are doing the the IMSB as well as the RMS or just for peace of mind 'while you are in there'?

Thanks for the replies.

Exhaust is not the original, its from a 3.2S so its been changed at some point. And it disintegrated.

Car is MY2000, It was sat for 3yrs doing very little before I acquired it 6 weeks ago, 1000 miles of "enthusiastic driving" later and the RMS has let go and left oily deposits all over my drive. Top tip - burn the stains off your block paved driveway with a blow torch.

As the RMS needed doing urgently, I thought new clutch, car has done 75K although clutch may not be original of course, and why not do the IMS while its apart. Fitting the EPS IMS solution.

34 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Thanks for the replies.

Exhaust is not the original, its from a 3.2S so its been changed at some point. And it disintegrated.

Car is MY2000, It was sat for 3yrs doing very little before I acquired it 6 weeks ago, 1000 miles of "enthusiastic driving" later and the RMS has let go and left oily deposits all over my drive. Top tip - burn the stains off your block paved driveway with a blow torch.

As the RMS needed doing urgently, I thought new clutch, car has done 75K although clutch may not be original of course, and why not do the IMS while its apart. Fitting the EPS IMS solution.

Possibly an expensive solution for a car with the older more reliable dual row IMSB, but given the non-running time might be a good call.

13 hours ago, bally4563 said:

But on the same token it could be the IMS seal so good call . RMS don’t tend to let go just weep and not pour out

Spoken to the Porsche indy this morning, RMS had failed in spectacular fashion not often seen.

IMS bearing was OK but tight compared to a good one so perhaps it was only a matter of time. I've asked to keep the old IMS bearing to use as a paperweight.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, BBB said:

The DesignTek version for my 987.1 is stainless steel, so has a much longer life expectancy than buying a second hand or even new OEM system. Mine is valved and I really like it, but it does seem that non-valved versions can be drone boxes.

How does it have a longer life expectancy of a new OEM system?They are also made of stainless steel.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:50 PM, McDonald said:

I've just coughed up for my new exhaust. It'll be installed 9th June. I've gone for Dansk at a cost of 2.5K fitted. I'm actually looking forward to it as it's been running on a bandage for a few months. It's a big ticket item (Porsche quoted 5.6K plus a £300 contingency fund in case it's difficult to detach) but my original exhaust has lasted 18 yrs, so I can hardly complain.

Omg that Porsche price is horrific...is that for a complete system including cats?

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

Omg that Porsche price is horrific...is that for a complete system including cats?

All figures quoted were complete systems. My exhaust has been in place for 18 years. One part has rusted through, its reasonable to imagine that the rest of the system must be on its last legs.

For all those talking about "stainless" - remember there are several grades of stainless, some of which actually mean "doesn't rust for the first year or so".  They may be priced accordingly.

8 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

How does it have a longer life expectancy of a new OEM system?They are also made of stainless steel.

My OEM silencers were definitely not stainless, they rusted horrendously.

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

For all those talking about "stainless" - remember there are several grades of stainless, some of which actually mean "doesn't rust for the first year or so".  They may be priced accordingly.

DesignTek is T304 stainless. Apparently it’s “soft” so it can be moulded into the shapes required. Recommended for all applications except for salt water environments, so I must remember not to try the Bond Lotus Esprit submarine trick.

https://www.multiplex-trd.com/articles/t304-stainless-steel/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fitted a Dansk to mine last year.

My car is a similar age. Other than manifold-cat bolts, and heat shields, only the rear box needed replacing.

Tech9 are the UK importer. I fitted it myself and other than a few clamps & some exhaust paste didn’t need any extras.

Mine was £917 shipped, for a standard type box without tailpipes. There were several other options around the same price.

Stainless steel is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof...  And depending on the grade it is resistant to a great or lesser extent.

Go back 40 years and in many cases we put new exhaust on cars inside 3 or 4 years from new.  We can't really complain about systems that are lasting over 20 years.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Stainless steel is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof...  And depending on the grade it is resistant to a great or lesser extent.

Go back 40 years and in many cases we put new exhaust on cars inside 3 or 4 years from new.  We can't really complain about systems that are lasting over 20 years.

If a quality stainless system HAD been fitted there is a very real likelihood it would last the life of the car and certainly well in excess of 20 years.

S/S's ability to resist corrosion/oxidation is measurably better than the coated steels used in this example.

Update.

I went with a Toyosports exhaust, the Porsche Indy said he's fitted them before and they were OK. 

He was right, it sounded nice, some drone between 2300 and 3000 RPM, so I fitted a couple of dB Killers from eBay and the drone is gone without any detriment to performance, the car goes like the clappers.

I've done 450 miles with it now and the sound is getting better as the miles are added.

14 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Update.

I went with a Toyosports exhaust, the Porsche Indy said he's fitted them before and they were OK. 

He was right, it sounded nice, some drone between 2300 and 3000 RPM, so I fitted a couple of dB Killers from eBay and the drone is gone without any detriment to performance, the car goes like the clappers.

I've done 450 miles with it now and the sound is getting better as the miles are added.

Glad you like it, they do get a lot of bad press, but for a weekend car the drone is not really an issue. I use mine without any further silencing and even coming back from Scotland on the M6 was no problem. I found it took about 1000 miles to tone down enough so that trips through town weren’t embarrassing.