Repair Quote

Photogirl

Too far for me unfortunately. 

By way of update - Bambi should be finished next week. I came to an arrangement with the garage on the work and decided to go ahead with a few of the things on the list and get them out of the way. Like I said, other quotes from local indis were about the same.

I'll update when she's home. 

This did give me an opportunity to grab my brake calipers and send them off to be done. I'll take photos when I get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Photogirl said:

Too far for me unfortunately. 

By way of update - Bambi should be finished next week. I came to an arrangement with the garage on the work and decided to go ahead with a few of the things on the list and get them out of the way. Like I said, other quotes from local indis were about the same.

I'll update when she's home. 

This did give me an opportunity to grab my brake calipers and send them off to be done. I'll take photos when I get a chance. 

What colour?

You having Porsche lettering or something else?

You could have letters Bambi on the calipers - cute

27 minutes ago, ATM said:

What colour?

You having Porsche lettering or something else?

You could have letters Bambi on the calipers - cute

I love the idea of having Bambi on the calipers - that's lovely!

I'm afraid I was rather boring in the end. I've had them done in high gloss Porsche Jet Black Metallic, with white Porsche decals. I'll probably ceramic coat them to help stop the brake dust from sticking.

To be honest I nearly had them done in gold  😆

@ATM  I would be interested in how you get on with those Titanium bleed nipples, I suggested them to my indie & he said he won’t use them as the thread is not quite right. So will be interested in how you get on.

34 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@ATM  I would be interested in how you get on with those Titanium bleed nipples, I suggested them to my indie & he said he won’t use them as the thread is not quite right. So will be interested in how you get on.

I didn't buy these exact nipples - just did a quick search - but yeah sure if I ever get round to using them I'll let you know

20 hours ago, ATM said:

I didn't buy these exact nipples - just did a quick search - but yeah sure if I ever get round to using them I'll let you know

Managed to track down some ebay purchase history and I have purchased stainless nipples

Possibly before I developed my fetish for Titanium 

Unfortunately this listing is no longer available so can't see any details 

Screenshot-20220203-081947-e-Bay.jpg

I just got ordinary plated steel ones as part of my caliper refresh earlier this year and I will work them once a year to prevent seizing.  It is leaving them untouched that allows them to corrode into place risking shearing or stripping the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Bambi arrived home this evening.

After various discussions about parts (thanks so much for the fantastic advice given to me in this thread) I was able to go ahead and get pretty much everything I wanted to do done, choosing my own parts as I went along.

Because of the things I did/didn't do, the engine didn't have to come out.

Aside from the MOT failure point I also had my advisories sorted out which were part of my suspension refresh. I also had the clutch done and a few other sundries.

The car was beautifully presented on collection and driving it home was a revelation. I'm fully aware that suspension work makes a difference, but I was blown away by the transformation. Bambi has always handled brilliantly but she has also been something of a raw ride. Driving back from the workshop was such a pleasure, like being in a new car. I almost didn't recognize it. 

I'm so pleased I got the clutch done. Previously it was very heavy leaving me with an extremely painful knee, to the point where I would avoid town driving where possible. The new clutch is so much easier on my joints.

My front discs and pads were very worn so they were done as well (£290 for parts and labour).

When I get a chance I'll post some pictures of the calipers in situ and the new wheel bolts. These are showing up my centre caps so I'm going to order some new ones this weekend. For completeness I think I should get a new handbag to compliment the paint job on the calipers.

Given that Bambi has cost me hardly anything in repairs over the years I don't begrudge her the outlay. A lot as it is when these things need doing, I feel it was money well spent. 

I'm very pleased with the service I got at Walkers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. 

• Like 6