Tiptronic - +/-200rpm

Freeman

years ago I have asked what could be the reason for the +/-200rpm when driving at 50mph (sorry can't find the original thread). Some opinions and assumptions where shared but there wasn't a definitive answer.

Yesterday I picked up the car after gear box rebuild. There was general wear to the friction disks, bearings and seals, the multi function switch was worn and the selector rod end was cracked. However it was concluded that the engine revs were not kept due to faulty torque converter. When pressure was applied it was noticed that the locking mechanism of the converter didn't hold and the converter slipped, also, it was suggested that the faulty converter caused/accelerated the wear on the gearbox. 

When the box was out other items were replaced such as the engine breathers (were split), water line, exhaust gaskets and clamps and a steering tie rod was replaced. It wasn't a cheap job but now it is a different car, the road handling much better and when the foot goes down the Ferraries become small...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

How much to buy and fit a TC, ball park? Worth it as a preventative measure? Or do they normally go for 25 years and you were unlucky?

Ouch.

https://www.design911shop.com/p/porsche-986-987-boxster-cayman-tiptronic-torque-converter-98631600105/?currency=GBP&country=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0rqf5q6igAMV451oCR33_QzrEAQYASABEgLZ5_D_BwE

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

How much to buy and fit a TC, ball park? Worth it as a preventative measure? Or do they normally go for 25 years and you were unlucky?

I have asked for a refurbished TC, the cost was £370 +VAT.

I don't think that it worth doing as a preventative measure as you need to remove the gearbox. I was charged for 14h labor but this included other repairs that I have asked for, so say that it was ~11h direct hours on the gearbox +VAT. The gearbox parts and labor was £1800. Total was £4820.69 but this included other bits such as the water lines, stirring, exhaust clamps etc.

In my opinion, when you have to take poison take it in one go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1