Anyone replaced the horns on their 987?

moneypit

As title, only ever had one of mine working, and it sounds like something from a Noddy and Big ears cartoon. I gather they're conveniently located behind the front bumper, which will necessitate removal to gain access. I've got a pair of none standard twin horns I was going to fit to something else, and don't mind using them, although I can see I'll likely have to lose the original connecters if I can't make up a way of adapting them. 

Any advice or pitfalls?

Don't know about 987 but I think a criticism of 986 was that one of them somehow collected water which then sat there and put it out of commission, hence several 986 only had one of the two working. There was a tip about changing the mounting angle so water drained straight out again.  Hoping someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct.

I had the “noddy” horn when I bought the car. Bought a used low frequency horn and switched over, now perfect. For me it was a bumper off job, which, if you follow the various instruction videos, is quite simple. Gives the opportunity for condenser clean out too. When working correctly, the horn is more than adequate

We replaced the twin horns with a single (twin tone) horn from Ring Automotive (Halfords) and changed one of the two original connectors into spade terminals to fit the new horn.  The bracket was re-modeled to suit the new horn.  Didn't take pictures during installation, but this is what it sounds like

q94iOeV.jpg

Ignore the left hand horn, that was an initial attempt, but it rusted solid and stopped working.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Don't know about 987 but I think a criticism of 986 was that one of them somehow collected water which then sat there and put it out of commission, hence several 986 only had one of the two working. There was a tip about changing the mounting angle so water drained straight out again.  Hoping someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct.

I can only add I had both fail on my 986, not much space to change the mounting position.