987 advice

Porschevirgin1968

I'd like some guidance please, considering going to look at a 2005 987 fully loaded with extras only 58k miles strong MOT history, serviced regular up until 2019 at Porsche dealership and indipendant, not much servicing done since but it hasn't done many miles since either, will this have potential issues for IMS if it has not been replaced? Not publishing any details yet, it's at a dealer so hopefully get a basic 3 month warranty. TIA. Reg is XJZ3809. 

Edited by Porschevirgin1968

knock the price for the new front tyres it needs as a minimum

Other than that - the list that @ricof added, plus check for rust on the wheel arch edges, particularly the fronts, make sure the AC works (if it doesn't, budget for condensers), push the seats forward and check the carpets for dampness,  and make sure everything works 

• Thanks 1

You need the engine (or was it chassis?) number for the "definitive" answer on the IMS.

Check VED liability (seems to annoy some people)

Absolutely look at coolant pipes, close to a grand to fix, and as much other service history as you can find.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You need the engine (or was it chassis?) number for the "definitive" answer on the IMS.

Absolutely look at coolant pipes, close to a grand to fix, and as much other service history as you can find.

How can I find the engine number, sorry if that sounds silly, I'm no mechanic. 

7 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

The last bill on that one shows the risk of buying a car with a few years between servicing. For sure, you could do some of the work yourself or save some of the work for next time but my view is that it’s better to spend a few £££ more on the purchase for one that has had some recent and/regular bills. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TV8 said:

The last bill on that one shows the risk of buying a car with a few years between servicing. For sure, you could do some of the work yourself or save some of the work for next time but my view is that it’s better to spend a few £££ more on the purchase for one that has had some recent and/regular bills. 

Ohhhh nice

7 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Is this someone's car on here? 

Don’t think so, just popped up on my FB feed - looked like a nice one, decent spec and good history - thought it was in your budget so better share 

Edited by Mattman42
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Well I've spoken to guy, seems its a dealer, it's a long way to travel but it certainly ticks a lot of boxes. Asked a few questions and asked for a walk-around video. See what happens, no one else has messaged about car, cheers guys. 👍 Is this the one? 

Lovely colour but high miles & six owners. I'd take plenty of time reading through the paperwork.

3 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Lovely colour but high miles & six owners. I'd take plenty of time reading through the paperwork.

It's virtually 19yrs old so it's less than 6000 miles a year on average and 6 owners isn't much in that time.at that age condition and maintenance are the most important things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Central lower rear oil leak spotted on last MOT as an advisory.

Screenshot_20230913_221823_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hopefully sorted in the recent work they talk about, says new discs so that advisory should have been sorted, fingers crossed the leak was fixed too.

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Engine number to be sure on IMS, details below, but it only affects very early 987s. The oil leak will most likely be the rear main seal, but it in very rare cases could be oil weeping from a duff seal on an IMS....  Gearbox out is the only solution for either and whilst you are in there do  the clutch anf flywheel, so a 4 figure job.

1k1vbNU.jpg 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Hopefully sorted in the recent work they talk about, says new discs so that advisory should have been sorted, fingers crossed the leak was fixed too.

I will be asking for a video of the underside of the car, it's 6 a 6 hour drive from where I am, so it needs to be perfect. They have said its a private sale rather than through the dealership and no warranty. If they sell it through the dealership they want 12k. 

38 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Good luck finding one that doesn't weep, I would stop looking now if that is one of your criteria.

lol - my mk3 MX5 didn't so much 'weep' as "pee out all over the place"  - I put it on ramps to try and find the source of the leak, the whole engine was covered in oil, so i put the floor tray back on and just topped it up when needed :)

• Like 1

The 2k difference for a warranty would worry me that there is a known issue.  That aside its a stunning looking car!  Owners and mileage wouldn't worry me. 

If you can put that 2k aside for any future issues, then that's what I would do.  As for weeping, mine has never weeped so there is at least 1 that doesn't.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

I will be asking for a video of the underside of the car, it's 6 a 6 hour drive from where I am, so it needs to be perfect. They have said its a private sale rather than through the dealership and no warranty. If they sell it through the dealership they want 12k. 

Hmmm sounds suspect to me, I don't think its a great buy at 10k to be honest i wouldn't bother going to look. f you are serious and they are will to take an offer maybe get a PPI done on it. 

• Like 1