987 advice

Porschevirgin1968

2 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

This is a receipt for the blue Porsche with the dodgy dealer, lol. Why would you change the clutch and not do the IMS? Engine number 62502728. 

IMG-20230915-WA0000.jpg

Any number of reasons. What was in there looked fine and the owner didn’t have the money to change it would be another good one!

It says front crank shaft seal, not IMS which is at the back of the engine.

IMS is not automatic to change with a clutch even on a 986.

6 minutes ago, Geoff888 said:

Cos it’s an engine strip to change the bearing??

Not from the engine number he has given.  It is an early car with the single row smaller IMSB in the late 2001 onwards 986 motor.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

But it says they can see its leaking....

I thought the IMS was at the rear, not the front?
My 996 had the the clutch and rear main seal changed but not the IMS. I didn’t know this as I hadn’t asked or checked but when selling does seem to be an area of concern for lots of people. One person went so far as to call up the people who did the work to see if they had any records…

4 minutes ago, TV8 said:

My 996 had the the clutch and rear main seal changed but not the IMS. I didn’t know this as I hadn’t asked or checked but when selling does seem to be an area of concern for lots of people. One person went so far as to call up the people who did the work to see if they had any records…

Sorry, I was referring to the oil leak mentioned on the mot- if they have gone to all that effort to change the clutch and noted the leak, why not fix it while you are there 🤔

Either way, sounds a bit dodgy

5 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Think it's like everything, you hear all the negative heartache stories and it scaremongers, but all the cars that have no issues you rarely hear about, the bad out ways the good cars. 🤔

I refer you to the new item in the technical section:

18 minutes ago, Geoff888 said:

I’ll say it again 

Other than the very early cars with the M96 not M97 engine the 987 has a larger, but still single row, IMSB which has very few reported failures.  Much like 986s up to 2000 which have the dual row smaller bearing.