What do you pay for insurance it’s due for renewal?

Pordave

Evening all.

I have just had a renewal notice for my 1999 2.7  Boxster at £295 fully comp with Privilege this is £62 up on last year. I’m 69 with a clean license and full no claims. Limited mileage at 5k -6k per annum

Can anyone suggest anywhere cheaper as I’m a cheap skate!

cheers Dave

I paid £274 for a 2000 3.2S, I'm 54, it is parked on a drive in NN15, 7k miles with The Better ½ (58) and we both have multiple location business use cover. 

Alas I fear your age could be a factor as you will pass 70 in this insurance year and this is often a step up in risk on those elusive actuarial tables.  Shop around.

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, Topbox said:

I'm with Aviva, find them decent, particularly if you have another vehicle and use their multicar policy option. Good luck.

Was with them for my 718 and Corsa, Corsa cost peanuts on the multi car policy.

Have my main car insured with the still, phoned to add on a 6k Audi A3, "We can match your no claims on that sir, £1400 for the year please."

Told them to intercourse elsewhere, an absolute joke of a quote. LV did it for around a quarter of the price, despite not mirroring my no claims.

• 1 month later...

Just renewed my 2002 986 Boxster S with Footman James under their classic policy. 3K miles PA. £184 for the year including agreed value and no fee salvage retention. It was much less painful than for my Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo which was £2300 pa - its really hard to insure them right now for some reason.

1 minute ago, MarkA said:

Just renewed my 2002 986 Boxster S with Footman James under their classic policy. 3K miles PA. £184 for the year including agreed value and no fee salvage retention. It was much less painful than for my Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo which was £2300 pa - its really hard to insure them right now for some reason.

Out of interest what is the agreed value and what are the excesses?  Windscreen cover is also being dropped quietly by some insurers.

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Out of interest what is the agreed value and what are the excesses?  Windscreen cover is also being dropped quietly by some insurers.

The excess is £50. Windscreen cover is included with £75 excess to an unlimited amount if using the approved repairer. Agreed value for my car is £8000.

the policy is issued on the basis that I am a member of an agreed car club - which in my case I am of PCGB.

Edited by MarkA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkA said:

The excess is £50. Windscreen cover is included with £75 excess to an unlimited amount if using the approved repairer. Agreed value for my car is £8000.

the policy is issued on the basis that I am a member of an agreed car club - which in my case I am of PCGB.

Thanks, all good info.

Not for a 986, but my renewal was £60 cheaper on my Toyota this year compared to multiple quotes from comparison sites. I believe there are now new rules around renewals and pricing, which seems to be working for the most part. This doesn't apply to buildings, contents or breakdown insurance sadly. 

Unless, you've been in an accident there really is no reason for your premium to go up. 

Get cheaper quotes from comparisons and present them to current insurer if you want less hassle and to stay with them. Call them and first ask if it's their best quote, quite often it's not and they are just reaping on the lazy. After that, give them quotes from other insurers, they'll often price match. It's a pain, but often worth it, helped my Mother save £260 a few years back. 

NCD can also have a dramatic impact on pricing. Apply NCD to your car that is the most expensive to insure. 👍 

Also, do remember that quotes can change day to day.

• 3 months later...

My renewal this month with LV was £600. More than double last years.

The Meerkat gave me Aviva for £200 +£25 for RAC breakdown cover.

Just goes to show that they are making it up and hoping that Great British apathy will pay out.

2000 986 S kept on drive 7k miles with European cover and business use multiple locations for me and The Better ½, £244, up about 20%...  For the value of any likely saving it wasn't worth the hassle.

Edited by ½cwt