987.2 refresh project

sdh2903

Finally got round to fitting the new headunit today, was the first thing i bought but slipped down the priority list. No pics of the in progress but its all in and up and running now. The wireless android auto works great but did seem to drain phone battery so may look at trying to install a wireless charging pad in the cubby infront of the gear lever.

HQOMGD4.jpg

BPjdoJ9.jpg

Another issue ive been itching to rectify is the cataract headlights. I did buy a kit but in the end I just used my rotary polisher with a couple of different compounds with a sealant to finish, came up a treat.

x5pnOT6.jpg

3a1jtbg.jpg

Doesnt half freshen up the front end.

4myjbuX.jpg

I just need to decide on which way to go with bulb upgrade. Its been between a Hid conversion and the Philips ultinon 9100 leds, Hids4u seem to have been out of stock forever though. I have found this kit has anyone any first hand experience of them? 

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/porsche-boxster-987-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-obc-error-free-p-14310.html

• 1 month later...

Work had slowed on the car but am getting back into the decreasing list of jobs. Firstly on a rare dry couple of days managed to get the roof scrubbed up and all the mould removed, took 4 goes with autoglym roof cleaner and then after drying for a few days a couple of coats of fabsil. Looks pretty good now.

nv7OI6p.jpeg

ca391tr.jpeg

After 2 failed attempts from amazon (kept sending h4s) finally got some new headlight bulbs from powerbulbs, went for the philips ultinons, not cheap but have made a huge difference.

Even managed some top down drives out in january.

Qdq0Dw4.jpeg

As the car has been kicked out of the garage whilst we have building work done, its highlighted the fact its still letting in water, firstly from the drivers side lower door card and the passenger side near the mirror. Have got some butyl tape at the ready when we get a decent day and will attack all the remaining seals with gummi pflege to see if i can finally get it water tight.

Have also made the decision to revert to standard springs, the H+R are just to firm for me, it maybe the fact they have been coupled with the konis too I'm not sure, but will be getting a new set of oem springs ordered. Shame as i love the way it looks and also the way it handles on smooth roads, but with the state of the roads its just too firm.

Car also passed its mot with just advisories on rear tyres.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Work had slowed on the car but am getting back into the decreasing list of jobs. Firstly on a rare dry couple of days managed to get the roof scrubbed up and all the mould removed, took 4 goes with autoglym roof cleaner and then after drying for a few days a couple of coats of fabsil. Looks pretty good now.

nv7OI6p.jpeg

ca391tr.jpeg

After 2 failed attempts from amazon (kept sending h4s) finally got some new headlight bulbs from powerbulbs, went for the philips ultinons, not cheap but have made a huge difference.

Even managed some top down drives out in january.

Qdq0Dw4.jpeg

As the car has been kicked out of the garage whilst we have building work done, its highlighted the fact its still letting in water, firstly from the drivers side lower door card and the passenger side near the mirror. Have got some butyl tape at the ready when we get a decent day and will attack all the remaining seals with gummi pflege to see if i can finally get it water tight.

Have also made the decision to revert to standard springs, the H+R are just to firm for me, it maybe the fact they have been coupled with the konis too I'm not sure, but will be getting a new set of oem springs ordered. Shame as i love the way it looks and also the way it handles on smooth roads, but with the state of the roads its just too firm.

Car also passed its mot with just advisories on rear tyres.

New shocks always give a harder feel as they are damping properly.  Give it some time to get used to it.

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

New shocks always give a harder feel as they are damping properly.  Give it some time to get used to it.

Yeah I agree new shocks always have that extra sense of firmness but this is beyond that. I've always had cars with firm and/or lowered suspension, including the westfield that the 987 replaced. I know suspension is a very subjective thing and I did as much reading up as possible on reviews etc, but for me this setup is just too firm for predominantly road use.

9 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Yeah I agree new shocks always have that extra sense of firmness but this is beyond that. I've always had cars with firm and/or lowered suspension, including the westfield that the 987 replaced. I know suspension is a very subjective thing and I did as much reading up as possible on reviews etc, but for me this setup is just too firm for predominantly road use.

Did you get OE equivalent H&R springs or uprated ones?

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, ½cwt said:

Did you get OE equivalent H&R springs or uprated ones?

They were the -35mm version so uprated.

Have still been working away on the car, as discussed went back to new oem springs, yes it now looks like a 987 dakar in comparison but my word just so much nicer over our crappy roads. This was a straightforward job with everything being new so all came apart a treat.

urR9oAC.jpeg

The second biggest difference maker was getting a new set of boots fitted, michelin ps4 have replaced the ps2. The rears were still at 3-4mm but were 2018 date code and were spinning up freely. Fronts were at 6mm but again were 5yrs old and i dont like having odd tyres. The ps4's are superb and the grip the car now has is phenomenal.

lmbX6VU.jpeg

Also added the cruise retro fit kit which was very kindly coded in by @The Caped Crusader

fIfQjiv.jpeg

• Like 1

After the suspension swap (again) left it all to settle and then had the alignment redone at Kenny brown in hillington. Car now feels superb, and the koni dampers really are very very good.

On to this week and it was time to give the car a full detail, it had been left outside for a number of years prior to me buying it and barely used and it showed. Was hard to pick up with the camera but the whole car was covered in light scratches and swirls.

F1H6D23.jpeg

This was all off 1 door!

AxOGm1Q.jpeg

cwFDIvz.jpeg

Luckily the scratches werent too deep, only the boot and bonnet needed a heavy cut compound, the rest was just  a medium polish, then a fine to finish. I used menzerna polishes and pads, really like how it works and very easy to remove any residue. A coat of collinite 476 to seal just before the rain started.

9U4ZUv3.jpeg

rlJUAqy.jpeg

Then it was on to restoring the faded trims, used the Gtechniq trim restorer, looks to have doon a good job, will see how it lasts.

before

8VBOH6A.jpeg

after

X3imfJE.jpeg

Then all the glass was cleaned and coated in gtechniq G1. Have ordered some wet and forget for the roof as i have some stubborn green algae that keeps reappearing.

Just a few little minor jobs to tick off now ready for summer.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 5:12 PM, sdh2903 said:

Finally got round to fitting the new headunit today, was the first thing i bought but slipped down the priority list. No pics of the in progress but its all in and up and running now. The wireless android auto works great but did seem to drain phone battery so may look at trying to install a wireless charging pad in the cubby infront of the gear lever.

HQOMGD4.jpg

BPjdoJ9.jpg

Hi.  The head unit looks absolutely great.  

i have a 987.2 with the CDR30 (which is woeful in terms of functionality… no Bluetooth, Audio streaming, etc). 

May I ask what you bought as the install looks superb.   My car has the sound package plus so am unsure what I need in terms of hardware. 

love the thread, keep up the great work !

• Thanks 1

That was a good read, well done. Your 987 looks pretty much identical to my unloved 01, 986 which I recently finished.

Really surprised that your 987 was that bad.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:26 PM, scaramanga said:

May I ask what you bought as the install looks superb.  

Hi the unit is a kenwood DMX7722DABS, been brilliant so far.

• Thanks 1

Got the roof elastics done today for the side channels, they'd been previously bodged and affixed to a completly different fixing point to where they should be. So just did them both. Now sitting inside the channel a treat.

UX6EOq6.jpeg

However did highlight the interior layer elastics need some attention to when I get chance.

Dbp1Czd.jpeg

Re the bad ride on the H&R springs, I think the issue is the drop, not the spring rate. The H&Rs are not terribly high spring rate, they're actually pretty soft.

The problem is that they lower the car too much for the design of the suspension. I'm not clear is it's a case of literally running out of travel or issues related to the geometry of the arms, but either way, if you go too low the ride is awful.

I had a previous 987 on both the Eibach and the H&R. Both were too low on the front axle. The EIbach were actually worse. I switched to the H&R which were still too low. But I stacked a couple of sets of the factory spring pads up front to lift the nose a little bit and it completely sorted the ride issues.

To be clear, it was still lower than standard, but without the terrible ride. As a rule of thumb, you don't want to go lower than Cayman R / Spyder ride height, which is roughly a 20mm drop from standard (or 10mm drop from a PASM car, which is itself a 10mm drop from a non PASM car). Porsche went about as low as you can with those cars without running into issues. The R and the Spyder have exactly the same arms and geometry as other 987s. Just different springs and dampers (and rear roll bar).

Edited by Pothole