987.2 refresh project

sdh2903

4 hours ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

It’s just incredible how rough your cars looks underneath over there, There have to be a lot of salt at your roads….

I’d say that level is rare in the U.K. - not all cars are like that

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, El Vikingo Tropical said:

It’s just incredible how rough your cars looks underneath over there, There have to be a lot of salt at your roads….

Have you seen our weather? 😉. We get this white stuff called snow and ice...

• Haha 1

Especially in the west of Scotland. Think they get paid a bonus on how many tonnes of salt they get rid of!

I think the biggest issue is lack of use. Its barely done 4k in the past 3 years. It's been stored outside with all the cr*p, salt and muck in the wheel arches. When I took the cover off in the front to get to the strut tops it was full of spider webs. The corrosion is all light and surface only and has cleaned up fine. Another couple of years of sat neglected it may have been too far gone.

So have taken advantage of the dry and mild weather, got all the crusty bits etch primed. Strut tops and the small section of the front wings have been stone-chipped with gravitex, i know it looks like ive missed some crusty bits, but its just dirt and mud, wanted to get on whilst the weather was good, will give the rest a good scrub in a couple of days.

VtuS7fJ.jpg

3LJ4GQ9.jpg

Eagle eyed will notice the front jack points need cleaning up too, will sort once I can get the axle stands out.

Front braces, arb brackets and the rear ARB all cleaned, primed and painted.

HpCoV3P.jpg

And the radiator shroud brackets

guPLQVg.jpg

So I can now get the back end fully finished, although Ive been thinking of going for a designtek exhaust "whilst I'm at it", so might leave the arch liners out for now.

Tomorrow will get all the front struts built up and then I'm really waiting on the front coffin arms from spyder which are hopefully back in stock next week 🤞

• Like 3

So today got the back end fully finished. New arb bushes and the ARB refitted. Just need to final torque up once its back on its wheels.

SoXXPs7.jpg

Then the front end struts all built up and assembled to the uprights. New Arb bushes and new track rods fitted aswell. Just awaiting the coffin arms.

WRF2n0Z.jpg

So next weeks tasks while im waiting on the arms, remove the front bumper and clean out any crud. Front scuttle needs a scrub out too as its full of cobwebs and leaves. A full service and start to look at fitting the new head unit.

• Like 3

whilst waiting for the front arms, attention shifted to some basic tidying up. Firstly whipped the front bumper off to clear out the rad ducts. Not too bad and the condensers and rads look fine.

3dilcKA.jpg

and gave the bumper a clean aswell.

9q3PMc2.jpg

Scuttle drains next, hoping that some big ass spiders didnt take offense at me cleaning up their house, inboard ones were gunked solid, outer ones not so bad.

lDEGVXv.jpg

R3wZBTX.jpg

All flowing well now and a bit cleaner.

IHHqv6u.jpg

Wheels given a bit of a scrub up ready for a new set of centre caps courtesy of @marts500 came up quite well after a soak in bilberry and then magma, fronts have been refurbed at some point as they are def a bit brighter. Plan is to get them refurbed in a slightly darker shade in the spring.

MBRFGEd.jpg

mrPE6xk.jpg

Now on to giving it a service, its not long been serviced mileage wise but over 12 months, plugs were done allegedly 2 years ago but then i found a receipt for 3 spark plugs, maybe chasing a misfire? Anyhow have just ordered the lot, including trans oil as again no record of it and well over the 12 year interval. Was halfway through and was attacked by the rain so need to finish it off monday hopefully

iznBGZg.jpg

Edited by sdh2903
  • Like 2

A dry day plus the Mrs out all day = a good days tinkering!

Finished the service off, plugs looked good but as I'd bought new just changed them, 3 coils were newer so that may explain the receipt for 3 x plugs.

CpVqAsd.jpg

Air filter was immaculate, cabin filter minging

7TRr16g.jpg

Engine oil filled with 6 litres and then left to idle up to temp to do the level check, ended up pretty much bang on 7.5 litres. Both engine and box leak checked before buttoning up the rear plate.

S4M3te8.jpg

Also cleared the rear roof drains, final bleed of the brakes and top up, all underside and arches coated in bilt hamber dynax and all undertrays given a clean ready to refit. Starting to come together now.

One question for you knowledgeable chaps, could any one shed any light on how to sort this, or point me in the right direction on what to search for, passenger side of the roof keeps sitting on the out side of the channel, i'm assuming something needs retensioned or adjustment?

pRIG1bY.jpg

2 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

One question for you knowledgeable chaps, could any one shed any light on how to sort this, or point me in the right direction on what to search for, passenger side of the roof keeps sitting on the out side of the channel, i'm assuming something needs retensioned or adjustment?

Have a search for BOXSTER ROOF ELASTIC - pretty common repair, usually a little higher up - but I *think* the 987.2 nay have a couple of anchor points for the tensioning elastic.... I think @Gutley went through sorting his a while back - he may have a thread ( no pun intended ) or some guidance.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

A dry day plus the Mrs out all day = a good days tinkering!

Finished the service off, plugs looked good but as I'd bought new just changed them, 3 coils were newer so that may explain the receipt for 3 x plugs.

CpVqAsd.jpg

Air filter was immaculate, cabin filter minging

7TRr16g.jpg

Engine oil filled with 6 litres and then left to idle up to temp to do the level check, ended up pretty much bang on 7.5 litres. Both engine and box leak checked before buttoning up the rear plate.

S4M3te8.jpg

Also cleared the rear roof drains, final bleed of the brakes and top up, all underside and arches coated in bilt hamber dynax and all undertrays given a clean ready to refit. Starting to come together now.

pRIG1bY.jpg

You will need this…..

Button hole woven flat elastic 20mm.

I purchased 1 meter from eBay for £2-3 pounds. Spot on replacement.

watch the YouTube videos, it’s a doddle.

cheers

T

• 2 weeks later...

progress had slowed a bit with the cr*p weather and work getting in the way, but its come together a bit this last week. Front coffin arms arrived and fitted, after another coat of dynax all the undertrays and arch liners refitted.

Also did a deal on a used topgear/designtek valved exhaust, so got that fitted and plumbed in. out with the old

4W5nPUO.jpg

In with the new (er).

IbKLE4i.jpg

One other task  to do was check the aux belt, I had noted a slight screech at start up and for a couple of mins so was expecting to replace. However on opening up the belt was brand new, however the belt was sat strangely on the tensioner pulley, off centre with a rib sat right on the edge of the pulley. I thought the tensioner bearing was knackered, but turns out the torx bolt on the 30mm casting you use to rotate the tensioner was loose, re-torqued it and the belt is now running true and silent, good it was caught before it let go altogether.

So before finaaly returning the car to terra firma i set the eccentrics somewhere in the middle of the range and with weight on the suspension torqued up the bolts.

A new set of plates made to suit the length of the front plinth and the new wheel centre caps have freshened things up a treat. Car is in for alignment on friday, still have a list of bits to do but thankfully thats the big mechanical bits done.

iYXeNBO.jpg

PV9RRJU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Philc said:

I’d be checking that tensioner again, the tensioner pivot seizing and undoing the bolt is a known issue, it’s different to the tensioner bearings/pulleys.

See 911uk post:

https://911uk.com/threads/997-gen-2-drive-belt-tensioner-failure.103303/

Thank you for the heads up. Car is in for alignment tomorrow I will check it again once I get it home.

2 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Thank you for the heads up. Car is in for alignment tomorrow I will check it again once I get it home.

2nd this - had this on previous 987.2 - picked up by OPC on a "maintenance catch-up" for things I couldn't show evidence of being done - tensioner is almost a service part on thee cars.

So alignment all done at Kenny browns in hillington, gave it a smidge more neg camber up front and they struggled to get the rear camber into spec, likely due to the H&R springs, think it was around 0.25 degrees more neg than book specs, he didnt seem too bothered by it. Just said to keep an eye on tyre wear, if it becomes an issue then may need adjustable rear arms.

While it was up on the ramp they did note a slight drip of coolant from n/s/f annoyingly. Had a quick peek and it looks like the spring clip is engaged properly but the 'ear' on the hose isnt catching it so when i looked at the hose it looked a bit squinty. The clips on the hoses that go into the plastic distribution pipes were the only ones that were reused so will pick up a couple, hopefully will be able to resolve without draining the coolant 🤞

So had a day off where it wasn't raining biblically. Had a look at the coolant weep, turns out it was a daft mistake, not sure if it was me or the previous spannerer as I put everything back how it came off, but a couple of the spring clips on the n/s rad hoses had been fitted in the wrong locations. So the clips were only gripping 1 ear of the hose fitting allowing a weep under temp/pressure. I'd pre empted a spring clip could be the issue so had a few on hand. Fitted the correct ones (and checked all the others) and all is good. A 3 quid fix which is always nice!

Shows the difference in clips. The pics make it look a massive difference but in reality maybe 3mm difference.

kVrHpz3.jpg

Onto the next issue, sadly not as cheap, £275 for a tensioner! (After 10% discount) Anyway all sorted now, made sense to chuck the new belt in while I was at it. The old tensioner was indeed seized solid.

Q8HAG23.jpg

Still have a list of bits and pieces to get done but time to put some miles on it now.

• Like 1