987.2 refresh project

sdh2903

Morning all, first time porsche owner, have just picked up a 987.2 3.4 that needs a little love. Ive come from building westfields and other kits so a bit of a project appealed.

Car is a 2009 with 55k on the clock, last mot had a few advisories for coolant leak and brake pipes so knew it needed work. Just before viewing the seller messaged me to say the N/s window reg had failed aswell to add to the list. Car was otherwise as described and has a decent service history so a price was agreed and collected the next day. I'm no buff on these but i think its a fairly basic spec, but had the 2 essentials for me, manual and bum warmers.

PXL_20231009_142754158_MP.thumb.jpg.0aadbec2ae22b05118599d38ed3d292c.jpg

• Like 2

Have tried to upload some extra pics but seems i have hit my limit! guess I need to host them elsewhere?

Any how, the window reg was done, probably one of the easiest regs ive ever changed to be honest, very straightforward.

My current list of items that need attention and some questions for you knowledgeable folk.

-Brake pipes, crusty as under the side panel. All caliper pipes are needing done. will make new ones up from Kunifer.

-coolant pipes are needing done, quick question here, do you usually need to replace the plastic tubes or can these get damaged on removal of the rusty bits? Everything from the front end of the long pipes is looking a bit worse for wear. Also is oem the best way with these or are the spyder performance ones ok?

-rear ARB is rotten

-One of the front coffin arms has play and a couple of the dampers feel a bit weak so i think im going to bite the bullet and do a full refresh. Any suggestions on arms? was looking at  the spyder full kit. Probably go for b4 dampers.

-possibly lower it a touch whilst I've got the suspension apart, although reviews seem mixed on lowering? any particular spring kits to go for/avoid?

-have a kenwood double din to go in to get dab and Android auto sorted.

5 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Sow42IV.jpg[/img]

Remove the [img] tags....I had the same problem :-)

Also a new owner who has a kit (GBS Zero) - although my building days are behind me (too lazy)....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Remove the [img] tags....I had the same problem :-)

Also a new owner who has a kit (GBS Zero) - although my building days are behind me (too lazy)....

Thank you, sadly I no longer have the westy as it was written off. So time to move to something more sensible 🙂

c09TLA2.jpg

Q2QGR1N.jpg

EEwfCeB.jpg

NDLRLID.jpg

Plenty here have dealt with the coolant pipes issue, so I’ll leave it to them to advise. Looks like it’s spent its life by the seaside judging by the corrosion under it😱. Apparently you need to drop the front subframe to change the pipes, so don’t bother getting it aligned until you’ve done the pipes.

The factory ‘Sport’ option is a 10mm drop and different dampers (B6 rings a bell). I think most who’ve gone for more than this regret it if they like driving rather than showing the car. Koni Special Active dampers have been used as an alternative to the Bilstein dampers by a few on here, @edc being the first, so may be able to give some good advice.

Enjoy👍

That's about how my 987.1 looked when I got it so enjoy!

As for the plastic cooling pipes I managed to save mine by cutting off the rubber pipe at the fitting and then bending the inner metal fitting inwards away from the plastic edge with pliers and screw driver! After some questionable language it came out! replacing cross over pipes will require subframe lowered or dropped. Good Luck

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Plenty here have dealt with the coolant pipes issue, so I’ll leave it to them to advise. Looks like it’s spent its life by the seaside judging by the corrosion under it😱. Apparently you need to drop the front subframe to change the pipes, so don’t bother getting it aligned until you’ve done the pipes.

The factory ‘Sport’ option is a 10mm drop and different dampers (B6 rings a bell). I think most who’ve gone for more than this regret it if they like driving rather than showing the car. Koni Special Active dampers have been used as an alternative to the Bilstein dampers by a few on here, @edc being the first, so may be able to give some good advice.

Enjoy👍

There's quite a few 986s on Koni Special Active shocks with good reports (me included).

For the subframe/coolant pipes, get some threaded bar of the same pitch and make 'long' bolts to lower it down on to. @bally4563 will confirm I believe.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

There's quite a few 986s on Koni Special Active shocks with good reports (me included).

For the subframe/coolant pipes, get some threaded bar of the same pitch and make 'long' bolts to lower it down on to. @bally4563 will confirm I believe.

Yes it’s the way I do it, makes it so much easier installing/lining up wise, working away so can’t comment on the pitch but from memory I think they were 10mm x1.5 mm ?

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Yes it’s the way I do it, makes it so much easier installing/lining up wise, working away so can’t comment on the pitch but from memory I think they were 10mm x1.5 mm ?

thanks, I think from the parts catalogue the big long ones are 12 or 14mm fine thread? Sounds like a good way of controlled lowering, thanks for the tip.

Regards the coolant pipes, has anyone used the spyder ones? or is it best to stick to oem with them?

https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/cooling/pipes-hoses/pipes-hoses-pipes-hoses/porsche-997-987-gen1-2-front-coolant-hose-pipe-set-2/

2 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

thanks, I think from the parts catalogue the big long ones are 12 or 14mm fine thread? Sounds like a good way of controlled lowering, thanks for the tip.

Regards the coolant pipes, has anyone used the spyder ones? or is it best to stick to oem with them?

https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/cooling/pipes-hoses/pipes-hoses-pipes-hoses/porsche-997-987-gen1-2-front-coolant-hose-pipe-set-2/

I’m sure some one will be along to confirm what size before I get home on Friday 

A lot of young lads coming through there car history  maybe then adding a second fun car at some later stage in life never really get to grips with maintenance.More like prophylactic maintenance….you know removing wheel arch liners cleaning and applying waxoil ( or what ever anti corrosion product ) brushing up brake pipes and ditto etc ….rest of anything metal .

Suppose this idol starts at company cars leased and chucked back , living without proper jacks , stands , socket sets etc , not having space initially to fettle ….then later family time commitments .

Also not having garage spaces to keep them dry and protected from frost …thinking U.K. climate moisture condensation on cold metal .Both inside and obviously outside visible areas .

As far as the cross over pipes when I got my 09 the first thing I did was to remove the wheel arch linners under trays ( have an inspection pit ) and and clean x wax it all up .Even brushed up the joints and 2x have seeped hot waxoi into the joints .Especially after a run when the pipes hold there warmth . The thinking was the heat would drive out moisture and wax would fill the tiny crevices where previously water held .It’s this damp that has a go at the metal clips and there supports = leads to breakdown of the seal as the o ring now distorts somewhat as the corrosion alters the fit .

I have done ( waxed ) all the suspension , the arch lip inner  edges , remove the side grills waxed inside those lips ( removed the felt at the edges = water traps ) + much more underneath.

Cleaned up the callipers more  cosmetic I know but got rid of that faint alloy bloom under black look if you did knack all .

Plenty of elbow grease and cleaner products …came up like new , no need to paint them .

Like many others done all the drains which are regularly mentioned on here .

I am retired run 4 cars 2 Porsches( have a Macan daily)  a 70 s carb Ferrari and a Austin Healey Sprite .So know too well about preventative maintenance and have the time and space as 3 of them are garaged .Dehumidifiers running to boot ! 

Edited by Boxer boy

welcome to the club.

your issues sound similar to the ones i had when i bought mine.

I've done the coolant pipes and the brake lines at the same time. one of the best tips i got was to get parts from porsche direct, give them and email and they will give you a price they came out cheaper on most things.

i did the brake lines while i did the coolant pipes as the hardliner run in a very small gap where the coolant pipes run so while the sub frame is out its much easier. also  i bought the brake lines direct from porsche so they are all pre made and from memory about £100 for both the front ones.

the coolant pipes seems like a daunting job but its really not that bad if you have a good impact to get the subframe bolts off.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, sdh2903 said:

Didn't know Spyder were doing them now. Useful to know. Don't recall seeing any mention of them on here. Nevertheless worth checking oem price with your local OPC. They'll also give a 10% discount if you're a PCGB member ( and possibly even if you're not).

On 10/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, sdh2903 said:

Works out at about £570 inc VAT.  Check difference with OPC pricing, might not be much once 10% discount is taken off.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Works out at about £570 inc VAT.  Check difference with OPC pricing, might not be much once 10% discount is taken off.

Theyve added the 2 plastic pipes in now I see. They are running a 10% offer at Spyder just now so works out at about 520. Porsche Glasgow will do the same kit for 540 (that's with discount). So will go for the oem full kit and if I can salvage the plastic pipes I'll return them.

Am away on hol this week but have spent plenty by the pool!

So far I've ordered all the coffin arms. Tuning forks and  rear track rods. New front top mounts, all mounting hardware, front track rod ends. 

Think I'm settled on konis for the shocks although Spyder are about to list bilsteins I think.

Still undecided on changing springs.

Have all the kit to make up some new brake lines apart from the m12 bits on the long pipes. 

Will be busy when I get back!

• 2 weeks later...

Made use of the time spent by the pool on holiday and kept the postman busy!

ouWUIQZ.jpg

Also noticed I dodged a bullet on the brake pipes, came home to a puddle under the scabby sections.

W9S0NHZ.jpg

So cracked on today and got the coolant pipes done. The crossovers were well rotten, the 2 o/s pipes had been replaced at some point but guess they knew the crossovers were rotten as they'd assembled with blue hylomar.

QDu3za0.jpg

xD6m24B.jpg

vfjZJ9m.jpg

Also ran in a new crossover brake pipe whilst the subframe was dropped.

mlAq6FQ.jpg

If the weather holds tomorrow will hopefully get a chunk of the rest of the brake lines done. 

• Like 4

Great work - I've not checked mine as yet - do you have any more details of the long studs in the end? as in pitch etc?
And any more pics - did you undo any of the suspension arms/balljoint stuff?

Given me confidence its possible on the drive!

Have you bought a vacuum coolant filler - sure I read this is needed for these - but perhaps someone who knows more can comment?

Edited by Dubdubz
forgot something