My old man has just bought a 986 for £500

bally4563

50 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Progress

further update just swopping loom over and a few more ancillary’s, knackered engine has a new alternator, oil cooler , AOS, coil packs etc.

That's the right way round for a 996, not a 986... 😉

Just saying.

A bit of a setback to report, replacement engine, although stamped M86.22 is in fact the later Variocam + however what we are hoping is this has the complete wiring loom, and we get a Engine ECU for that engine, job should be a good un 🤞🤞

• 2 weeks later...

Further updates, the old man , has had a look at the reason why the initial engine had blown up . On investigation found it had dropped three valves , so he removed the IMS bearing it was like a pr*ck in a shirt sleeve , reckoning is that there was that much play chain has jumped a tooth or two. Morale of this regardless of what forum opinions are , if you are doing a clutch change , ideally change it , but if nothing else inspect it . I have seen the bearing not only moving forward and aft at alarming rate , but obviously with that much movement left to right etc  , explains why it could jump a tooth or two

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Further updates, the old man , has had a look at the reason why the initial engine had blown up . On investigation found it had dropped three valves , so he removed the IMS bearing it was like a pr*ck in a shirt sleeve , reckoning is that there was that much play chain has jumped a tooth or two. Morale of this regardless of what forum opinions are , if you are doing a clutch change , ideally change it , but if nothing else inspect it . I have seen the bearing not only moving forward and aft at alarming rate , but obviously with that much movement left to right etc  , explains why it could jump a tooth or two

Out of curiosity, was it a single or dual row?  Can't see which year the car is an a quick scan of the thread.

16 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Out of curiosity, was it a single or dual row?  Can't see which year the car is an a quick scan of the thread.

Chris a dual row , just based on the width of the bearing , but I will confirm , but MY 1999  , it maybe single row ,but no jocking totally fecked!! 120 k the engine had done , which with the usual if it’s lasted that long should be fine …. Blows that myth?!

20 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Cause and effect reversed, could be that a problem at the top subsequently shook the bearing loose?

No defintley bearing is worn out , the effect was the cause , I will get hold of the bearing a put a vid up showing how knackered it is

48 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Chris a dual row , just based on the width of the bearing , but I will confirm , but MY 1999  , it maybe single row ,but no jocking totally fecked!! 120 k the engine had done , which with the usual if it’s lasted that long should be fine …. Blows that myth?!

Dads got back , dual row and a visual inspection, would indicate it was fine , just needs putting out there , bearing had not collapsed, just totally worn out ,giving so much lateral movement in either plain

• Confused 1

I wonder if this is the issue you had @K.I.T.T.

Your dad's fair cracking on Mick especially (no offence) at 80! Really impressed. Sounds like it's keeping him busy busy but I hope that you will help him in with the new engine sounds pretty sketchy man! 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cocky said:

I wonder if this is the issue you had @K.I.T.T.

Your dad's fair cracking on Mick especially (no offence) at 80! Really impressed. Sounds like it's keeping him busy busy but I hope that you will help him in with the new engine sounds pretty sketchy man! 

Thanks Luke his capabilities can’t be measured … but so right it definitely keeps him active and focused can you imagine any of us doing that at 80

5 hours ago, bally4563 said:

'99 has to be dual row, the change was part way into '01 MY.  Bearing should be 15/16th of an inch or 23.8mm wide.  Most likely failed inner race seal allowing the factory grease to be diluted with engine oil

Adds to the data and knowledge that we don't usually discover as the motor gets scrapped without full info being established.  I believe the US class action data did indicate most failures were single row at something like 8:1, but all of them can fail.

Edited by ½cwt

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

'99 has to be dual row, the change was part way into '01 MY.  Bearing should be 15/16th of an inch or 23.8mm wide.  Most likely failed inner race seal allowing the factory grease to be diluted with engine oil

Adds to the data and knowledge that we don't usually discover as the motor gets scrapped without full info being established.  I believe the US class action data did indicate most failures were single row at something like 8:1, but all of them can fail.

That’s why I posted , just to put it out there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:15 PM, bally4563 said:

Thanks Luke his capabilities can’t be measured … but so right it definitely keeps him active and focused can you imagine any of us doing that at 80

I couldn’t do it at 40. Or 30, or 20.

I change the wipers on all my cars though. Hats off to the old man.

All come down to right tools, right knowledge and enough time.  But at 80, hope I could do it in 26 years time.