My old man has just bought a 986 for £500

bally4563

54 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

In fact it looks very good, going around tomorrow seal it all up and then get it towed around to the old man’s looks to be artic silver / blue roof

Best colour combo IMHO! Factory reversing sensors, body and wheels look to be in good nick, or is it a 10 footer?  OK from 10 feet, gets worse the closer you get.  That said swarf in the oil is not likely to be low hassle.  Are you planning to get an oil analysis done?

39 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Best colour combo IMHO! Factory reversing sensors, body and wheels look to be in good nick, or is it a 10 footer?  OK from 10 feet, gets worse the closer you get.  That said swarf in the oil is not likely to be low hassle.  Are you planning to get an oil analysis done?

No Chris engine is fubbared! engine oil dropped appears that not swarf but big lumps , piston rings, et Al no problem got a good engine on way for 1400 complete heard running not smoking sounds sweet that’s got 120k miles on it …. So project!!

2 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

No Chris engine is fubbared! engine oil dropped appears that not swarf but big lumps , piston rings, et Al no problem got a good engine on way for 1400 complete heard running not smoking sounds sweet that’s got 120k miles on it …. So project!!

Mis-understood the 'swarf' issue.  Not a bad project, you've had motors out of these before IIRC.  Some parts, bolts, consumables and gaskets (plus blood, sweat and tears) and he's got a pretty decent looking Boxster for say £2300 to £2500.  Plus a bit of salvage from the fubar engine parts to off set may be.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Mis-understood the 'swarf' issue.  Not a bad project, you've had motors out of these before IIRC.  Some parts, bolts, consumables and gaskets (plus blood, sweat and tears) and he's got a pretty decent looking Boxster for say £2300 to £2500.  Plus a bit of salvage from the fubar engine parts to off set may be.

Well he’s in at 1900 all in , but if we are going to do a proper job  , to make it desirable, there will be the usual RMS , new clutch , check inspect/replace IMS , brakes suspension whatever required to ensure a good result come selling time, but trust me if I’ve worked on it , it will be right, so once I bounce a figure out expect no quibble!

20 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Well he’s in at 1900 all in , but if we are going to do a proper job  , to make it desirable, there will be the usual RMS , new clutch , check inspect/replace IMS , brakes suspension whatever required to ensure a good result come selling time, but trust me if I’ve worked on it , it will be right, so once I bounce a figure out expect no quibble!

Should still be sub £4k which is pretty handy, ignoring your labour...  but you do it for the fun anyway don't you? :stickprod:

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Should still be sub £4k which is pretty handy, ignoring your labour...  but you do it for the fun anyway don't you? :stickprod:

Next year when the sun shines, it will be a different price, no rush on this,once done will advertise 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Next year when the sun shines, it will be a different price, no rush on this,once done will advertise 

£30 and a toblerone???  #holdoutyerhand    :)

Got to start the bidding somewhere.....

Edited by Mattman42

Dads car

Dads car Dads car

more info 

Heated memory seats, cruise control, climate control, face lift roof, 4 new Kuhmo tyres, new alternates, new injectors etc etc. Billy bargain! 

53291939983_20b8744e54_b.jpg

and this was its demise, this found when sump was dropped!!   

• Sad 1

Well done Bally-Mick! @bally4563

Looks a cracker. I'm sure you'll be standing by it in no time at all, potentially. 👍🏻

Cheers, Baggers.

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Dads car

Dads car Dads car

more info 

Heated memory seats, cruise control, climate control, face lift roof, 4 new Kuhmo tyres, new alternates, new injectors etc etc. Billy bargain! 

53291939983_20b8744e54_b.jpg

and this was its demise, this found when sump was dropped!!   

Bit of Slick 50 in that and it’ll be fine👍

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

The man is a hero !

Im 64 and I struggle to motivate myself to do much, especially when the weather turns cold.

Yes he’s a star , when replacement engine goes back he will do the IMS , RMS, new clutch etc, will be a good motor once it’s done and up for sale, probably spring once I’ve made it totally bang on

• Like 2

Fair play, lots of patience and crawling about required!?

Are you going to take the old engine apart to make it easier to handle now it's out the way? I've seen a few people on youtube lower engines using multiple jacks but then I've always wondered what happens next re. getting it onto a separate stand or a pallet etc.