Servicing

Porschevirgin1968

Just now, skoosh1970 said:

how much is the road tax out of interest...?

£695

I always wanted to ask if anyone knew why the 2.9 and 3.4 are that much but the 3.2 is £395? (apart from the obvious, 'they produce more CO2").

TVRs are brilliant. They are not unreliable, they are not wobbly and they handle very well if maintained properly. 10 happy years and many many thousands of miles across the UK and Europe and never let me down once. Had two at the same time for a while and sold the blue one. Mistake.

0CEJqnF.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TV8 said:

TVRs are brilliant. They are not unreliable, they are not wobbly and they handle very well if maintained properly. 10 happy years and many many thousands of miles across the UK and Europe and never let me down once. Had two at the same time for a while and sold the blue one. Mistake.

0CEJqnF.jpg

Fantastic, love the Chims.

6 minutes ago, nelmo said:

£695

I always wanted to ask if anyone knew why the 2.9 and 3.4 are that much but the 3.2 is £395? (apart from the obvious, 'they produce more CO2").

My 2.9 is £395 per annum...?

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Ahhh Good old KGF - photograph on a white background and double the price :)

it’s still an Austin maxi - my dad had one back in the day - CRD 334V - would never want to drive another - but there are weirdos out there that love that sort of stuff :)

we’d get stuff in and think we’ll never sell it, and it would be gone in a few days!

Yep, the Maxi club was at the first Gaydon meet last year.  All 6 of them!

11 minutes ago, nelmo said:

£695

the 987.2 3.4 litre is £395, its all to do with emissions on the 987.1 3.4 being higher

11 minutes ago, TV8 said:

0CEJqnF.jpg

For some reason always liked the Tuscan

18 minutes ago, nelmo said:

£695

Tips are higher on emissions, and the UK rules changed...  Porsche updates were out of sync with this so there's a whole batch of cars out there with nearly £300 pa extra annual tax.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ½cwt said:

Tips are higher on emissions, and the UK rules changed...  Porsche updates were out of sync with this so there's a whole batch of cars out there with nearly £300 pa extra annual tax.

Scandalous..........!!!! Another reason to drive stick.

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Oh, and if you go for an older 986, my 3.2S is under £300 pa.

9 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

For some reason always liked the Tuscan

I never drove a Tuscan but did seriously look at a Tamora and found it a bit modern in feel. I suspect the Tuscan would be in between but, what do I know, I prefer the 986 to all that followed!

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

...i concur on the costs, budget £1k per annum on average on most premium brand motors.... porsche included.

FWIW, My ownership costs to date, 2.9 2010 with 89K miles on at purchase - other than services and tyres, all these costs are with me doing the spannering.  image.png.1a9e179d35a26f9df48421a1d0e90cc8.png 

Original owner (i'm second) had all servicing done at OPC from new, averaging £1,155 per annum over her 9 years of ownership (excluding extended warranty purchases)

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

0CEJqnF.jpg

The 350i I owned always had more than a whiff of contact adhesive inside, the driver's seatbelt smelled of petrol that transferred to your clothes for the rest of the day. A howling gale blew through the holes in the bottom of the driver's door and the inevitable RV8 valley gasket oil leak that ran around the bell housing and dripped straight onto the centrally mounted exhaust. If you hit a pothole, the steering wheel moved so far sideways with the scuttle it could have been knocked out or your hand. Fortunately mine wasn't an early car where TVR thought it a good idea to use all black wiring in their harnesses with marker ferrules on the ends that corroded and dropped off after about five years.

They didn't become really unreliable until TVR "engineers" had a go at designing their own engines and the massive warranty claims to keep them running put TVR out of business.

I sold mine over twenty years ago and still don't see it through rose tinted glasses.

It did sound nice though.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

The 350i I owned always had more than a whiff of contact adhesive inside, the driver's seatbelt smelled of petrol that transferred to your clothes for the rest of the day. A howling gale blew through the holes in the bottom of the driver's door and the inevitable RV8 valley gasket oil leak that ran around the bell housing and dripped straight onto the centrally mounted exhaust. If you hit a pothole, the steering wheel moved so far sideways with the scuttle it could have been knocked out or your hand. Fortunately mine wasn't an early car where TVR thought it a good idea to use all black wiring in their harnesses with marker ferrules on the ends that corroded and dropped off after about five years.

They didn't become really unreliable until TVR "engineers" had a go at designing their own engines and the massive warranty claims to keep them running put TVR out of business.

Apart from that, you loved it?