Torque Porsche - 986 Replacement of top mounts

S14

Hi all,

Took my 986 3.2S today to Paul Lewis @TROOPER88, for replacement front top mounts, bearings, bump stops and gaiter.

Excellent service from Paul, and whilst working on the car he carried out a small preventative repair on the PAS pipe👍.

oMSP2DR.jpg

e9Xih9p.jpg

All in all a very happy customer.

Hi @Fat Rat,

I have in the last couple of months replaced all the coffin arms, tuning forks, drop links and arb’s.

I was still experiencing a “creaking” noise, so decided to get the top mounts and bearings replaced.

It really is just a work in progress.

Maybe I’ll change the shocks and springs next year, but the shocks seem ok, and the car has only done 57k miles, so hoping not to blow the maintenance budget all at once, if not necessary👍 (famous last words).

Thanks for reply. Did the creaking go away?

My 03 has 49K on and I have an occasional knock on the rear nearside. It has been on several ramps and no one has pinpointed a specific item.

ARB's and drop links changed. Rear tuning forks next. 👍

24 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Thanks for reply. Did the creaking go away?

My 03 has 49K on and I have an occasional knock on the rear nearside. It has been on several ramps and no one has pinpointed a specific item.

ARB's and drop links changed. Rear tuning forks next. 👍

That's a rear tuning fork.  Try to find TRW, they are the OE supplier.  Tuning forks knock, drop links rattle, bushes squeak.

Unfortunately having changed all the tuning forks, coffin arms drop links (these were all sourced from SpyderPerformance earlier this year), and yesterday the top mounts and top mount bearings were changed (sourced from Autodoc), I still have this annoying creak/clunk sound.

This is only present when reversing on half to full lock on the steering and typically going over a change of camber on the road.

There is no noise under any other driving conditions.

The search continues to try and identify this noise.

This noise seems to be coming from the rear passenger side.

Paul at Torque Boxsters checked all the rear suspension whilst he had the car yesterday, but unfortunately could not pin point what was actually causing it.

I will get the track rod ends replaced (as this apart from the shocks are the only original parts). I will then get the car booked in for a geo at Brookspeed. 

Brookspeed might give me a suggestion as to what is generating this noise🤞.

Oh the joys of motoring😂

Front engine mount or gearbox mount?  But I'd have though Paul would have checked those.

The steering with new inners and outers gives a great feel.  I had to change on track rod due to a split ball joint boot but decided to do all 4 joints as the inners were originals at 23 years/115k miles.  Fantastic outcome. 

Is the rack, steering column or even subframe a bit lose may be?

On 12/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, S14 said:

Hi all,

Took my 986 3.2S today to Paul.

Excellent service from Paul, and whilst working on the car he carried out a small preventative repair on the PAS pipe👍.

e9Xih9p.jpg

All in all a very happy customer.

What’s the preventative PS repair?

Just add a hose clamp to the line?

5 hours ago, 986T8 said:

What’s the preventative PS repair?

Just add a hose clamp to the line?

Worth doing, the crimp on my car failed and all the fluid was dumped on my drive. The repair is a jubilee clip.

You will need to put a jubilee clip on each end of the flexi, access to the inner one is a bit tricky.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, S14 said:

Unfortunately having changed all the tuning forks, coffin arms drop links (these were all sourced from SpyderPerformance earlier this year), and yesterday the top mounts and top mount bearings were changed (sourced from Autodoc), I still have this annoying creak/clunk sound.

This is only present when reversing on half to full lock on the steering and typically going over a change of camber on the road.

There is no noise under any other driving conditions.

The search continues to try and identify this noise.

This noise seems to be coming from the rear passenger side.

Paul at Torque Boxsters checked all the rear suspension whilst he had the car yesterday, but unfortunately could not pin point what was actually causing it.

I will get the track rod ends replaced (as this apart from the shocks are the only original parts). I will then get the car booked in for a geo at Brookspeed. 

Brookspeed might give me a suggestion as to what is generating this noise🤞.

Oh the joys of motoring😂

Rear top mount or ARB,s. Jack the car up each corner individually and lower down with controlled sped see if you can generate the noise

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is currently with Paul getting some much needed work on the rear suspension (complete replacement), roof and drive axle boots.

He did the front suspension for me last year and the car honestly felt brand new. When the rear suspension is done I shall take it for a for  a four wheel alignment. The last time I took it to Kwikfit and while they got it sort of okay - not 100% - I do think a proper alignment will work wonders to the feel and performance of the car.

I must say I am looking forward to seeing how it performs once that has all been done :)

There's a few more jobs on the car that I want to take care of but it's getting to be a nice little example - especially since it was headed for the scrapheap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

The last time I took it to Kwikfit and while they got it sort of okay - not 100% - I do think a proper alignment will work wonders to the feel and performance of the car.

Who are you going to use for the alignment? I used quick fit to check the alignment and it looks like its not quite right but the guy doing it didnt inspire confidence unfortunately.

I was going to use a local place in Keston but they didnt follow through with the quote to supply the parts needed (I was going to change rear control arms and coffin arms before doing it as they are looking a little aged) Paul recommended a place near him and I am thinking of getting him to do it all. 

tGGGll3.jpg

5 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I am taking it to Precision Porsche. They are just around the corner from me. A little pricey but I worth it I reckon.

I used them to set-up my 996 and was very pleased with it. When you say just around the corner, are you aware they have moved?

42 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Who are you going to use for the alignment? I used quick fit to check the alignment and it looks like its not quite right but the guy doing it didnt inspire confidence unfortunately.

I was going to use a local place in Keston but they didnt follow through with the quote to supply the parts needed (I was going to change rear control arms and coffin arms before doing it as they are looking a little aged) Paul recommended a place near him and I am thinking of getting him to do it all. 

tGGGll3.jpg

I would definitely take it to Paul. He knows these cars really well, does a great job, keeps you informed of the progress (lots of pictures etc for your history file) and he's not expensive. Definitely worth it.

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I am taking it to Precision Porsche. They are just around the corner from me. A little pricey but I worth it I reckon.

I go to Precision & they're miles away from me, but well worth the journey IMO.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I go to Precision & they're miles away from me, but well worth the journey IMO.

Same here. I drive past many independents to get there. I didn't realise Paragon where around the corner and seem to have an impressive reputation as well but I have been using Precision for a few years now.

48 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Same here. I drive past many independents to get there. I didn't realise Paragon where around the corner and seem to have an impressive reputation as well but I have been using Precision for a few years now.

FWIW - paragon do have a great reputation and the quality of prep on their cars for sale is fantastic - but they aren't neceaarily cheap - quoted me almost the same as the OPC did for a 4 wheel alignment - was about 15 quid in it.

As for the indy in Keston -I thought they don't actually do their own spannering the setup is purely sales - seem to remember they take the car somewhere else ( somewhere in Surrey) - maybe a sister company or just where their workshops are but I am sure I read they farmed the work out.

7 minutes ago, Paul P said:

FWIW - paragon do have a great reputation and the quality of prep on their cars for sale is fantastic - but they aren't neceaarily cheap - quoted me almost the same as the OPC did for a 4 wheel alignment - was about 15 quid in it.

Yes, Porsche Mid Sussex quoted me ÂŁ408 and Precision something like ÂŁ380.

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

As for the indy in Keston -I thought they don't actually do their own spannering the setup is purely sales - seem to remember they take the car somewhere else ( somewhere in Surrey) - maybe a sister company or just where their workshops are but I am sure I read they farmed the work out.

Hi Paul, it’s not 911Box. It’s was these people https://www.tollgatetyres.com.  They have a reasonable reputation, have been their a while and owner seemed a decent bloke who owns a 911 and won’t let anyone touch a Porsche if he is not in. I chased a couple of times but he didn’t get the quote for the parts I wanted. 
Are you going to either of the Tipec things this weekend?