Confusion on Sports Cats.

phazed

Good afternoon all. I have been doing a bit of searching on the Internet. I wish to replace my old leaking cats with something else. As the car will be predominantly for Track Days, (but also a little roadwork), I thought it beneficial and more efficient for the engine to fit the 200 sell sports cats. It seems the more economically priced are not type approved and will not pass an MOT! I can’t help but think why fit them in the first place!? why not just fit decat pipes which are cheaper and no doubt more efficient. Obviously I can’t do this if I want to use the car occasionally on the road.

Question: any recommendations for a reasonably priced 200 cell Cat? Am I going in the right direction? I’d appreciate other peoples andvice and real life experience with these sports cats. Any recommendation on a suitable make which isn’t going to break the bank would be appreciated.

Thanks…

Have Cargraphic manifolds and 200 cell cats - no issues passing the MOT, and they have at least 90k miles on them.

Before any tuning, the car (986 S) was already up 10hp from stock on the rolling road without any other mods.

Can't comment on cheaper systems.

40 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Have Cargraphic manifolds and 200 cell cats - no issues passing the MOT, and they have at least 90k miles on them.

Before any tuning, the car (986 S) was already up 10hp from stock on the rolling road without any other mods.

Can't comment on cheaper systems.

Wow! E1,422.00 Euros!

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If you are tight on budget there's these.  I know some on here have used them with no MOT issue of the type approved ones, not sure about the non type approved ones.

BOXSTER - Cats2u

Are those 200 cell / sports cats or OE "equivalent"?

23 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If you are tight on budget there's these.  I know some on here have used them with no MOT issue of the type approved ones, not sure about the non type approved ones.

BOXSTER - Cats2u

The type approved are £288.00 per pair.

These would do the job but I have read horror stories about cheap cats being restrictive, breaking up and not lasting long.

Not worried about longevity as the car will not be doing much in the way of mileage. Obviously restrictive would be an issue and pointless fitting them. Has anyone any real life thoughts on these?

yes, price is a big thing at the moment!

12 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Are those 200 cell / sports cats or OE "equivalent"?

Looks like they are OE equivalent.
I think we are looking at the saying, “you get what you pay for”.

5 minutes ago, phazed said:

I think we are looking at the saying, “you get what you pay for”.

Pretty much.

That said some folk, on low annual mileages, have been satisfied with generic “sport” manifolds and cats. A few on here have also seen some useful dyno results with those systems.  Am sure they’ll chime in when they spot your thread.

Personally I value the reassurance of a brand/business with a solid track record in Porsche aftermarket parts for my daily driver. This includes documented support for their gain claims and a post sale support service.

1 hour ago, danb said:

Non type approved cats are fine to fit if your car was registered before 1st March 2001

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/catalytic-convertors/catalytic-converters-and-diesel-particulate-filters

I have no knowledge or experience of this but if the machine says “ emissions ok “ then who / how / when would anyone question “type approval “ ?   How would they know ? 

I've been using the eBay manifolds and sports cars for 10 years now. I've posted plenty on gains and my Dyno plots. Yes, these aren't as cheap as they used to be. MOT time needs the cats to be hot. Type approved or not it doesn't matter to me as long as they work. I also have 'home made' rear brace bar and rear adjustable toe links that won't have any form of approval either. 

Even if there was something on an original cat stamped to show type approval then it will be rusted to buggered by now anyway. 

There are a few others probably 5-8 years ago that followed suit too. No longer actively posting now but posts should still be searchable. 

Links from eBay will be long gone but I am 99% sure they are the same generics as rebranded from AliExpress as Toyosport/Gravity/Direnza and whoever in 2024 is the next to jump on the wagon and buy the right quantity for some minor customisation or branding/stamping of the product. 

There is something to suit all budgets. The eBay specials were around 99 to 149. If you want quality ones and ones which many other outfits use for their cat pipes then HJS.