Service PDK gearbox

bally4563

7 minutes ago, ATM said:

If you have a nice dry and well lit garage, with decent coffee available, I would be happy to pop over and supervise. 

Thanks my friend, but I’m more than capable, and if the service kit arrives tomorrow morning, I will be on it

On 1/2/2024 at 7:02 PM, bally4563 said:

Thanks my friend, but I’m more than capable, and if the service kit arrives tomorrow morning, I will be on it

@ATM struggling to find the diff fill plug seen something that looked like a fill plug but it was about 25 mm long , looked more like a detention pin, left hand side at the top near the gear box mount?

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

@ATM struggling to find the diff fill plug seen something that looked like a fill plug but it was about 25 mm long , looked more like a detention pin, left hand side at the top near the gear box mount?

Viewed from the rear

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Isn't that the one that develops a leak and the only solution (according to Stuttgart) is an £8k gearbox...

4 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I'd need a pic.

Are you following a guide or instructions from somewhere?

From memory there are 2 drains for gear oil. I can't remember if I ever did both. I only did this once.

I only remember 1 fill plug for gear oil. It's a hex type Allen key quite big like 8mm. Plug itself is like 20mm wide - maybe a tad less. I did the fill, drove the car a bit then checked it was still full by squirtng a bit more in.

I regularly filled clutch fluid as this was leaking. This was accessed from passenger side. Similar size plug if not identical. I used to raise the car a bit via rear side jack point and remove rear wheel then access it through the arch.

Hopefully you have not drained it yet because best practice is locate the filler first and check it can be removed before you drain?

7 hours ago, ATM said:

I'd need a pic.

Are you following a guide or instructions from somewhere?

From memory there are 2 drains for gear oil. I can't remember if I ever did both. I only did this once.

I only remember 1 fill plug for gear oil. It's a hex type Allen key quite big like 8mm. Plug itself is like 20mm wide - maybe a tad less. I did the fill, drove the car a bit then checked it was still full by squirtng a bit more in.

I regularly filled clutch fluid as this was leaking. This was accessed from passenger side. Similar size plug if not identical. I used to raise the car a bit via rear side jack point and remove rear wheel then access it through the arch.

Hopefully you have not drained it yet because best practice is locate the filler first and check it can be removed before you drain?

Found it what I thought was clutch fluid fill was diff fill, thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Found it what I thought was clutch fluid fill was diff fill, thanks

Drained out 4lt of clutch fluid and 2.2 lt of diff oil, sound about right ?

8 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

No reason to disagree. I assume the car was working fine beforehand. I think from the factory they don't fill till it dribbles out. Some people think this is over filling. But gearboxes have always had a filler at just the right level so I go off that.

Did it look dirty or clean?

The first shift from 1st to 2nd on a cold start felt much better in mine with fresh clutch fluid. Recently its started feeling jerky so I might renew it. I'm anxious the gearbox repair shop may have used cheap fluids.

I use Millers DCT DSG stuff for clutch and their 75 90 for gear.

My car would start throwing up errors or warnings when the clutch fluid got low. I'd then add maybe just over a litre of fresh and it would then be fine again. I must have done this about 10 times.

So I was topping it up lots. I think I only drained it once and with the leak no idea how much came out and its not going to help you even if I did.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

No reason to disagree. I assume the car was working fine beforehand. I think from the factory they don't fill till it dribbles out. Some people think this is over filling. But gearboxes have always had a filler at just the right level so I go off that.

Did it look dirty or clean?

The first shift from 1st to 2nd on a cold start felt much better in mine with fresh clutch fluid. Recently its started feeling jerky so I might renew it. I'm anxious the gearbox repair shop may have used cheap fluids.

I use Millers DCT DSG stuff for clutch and their 75 90 for gear.

My car would start throwing up errors or warnings when the clutch fluid got low. I'd then add maybe just over a litre of fresh and it would then be fine again. I must have done this about 10 times.

So I was topping it up lots. I think I only drained it once and with the leak no idea how much came out and its not going to help you even if I did.

Not overly dirty , nothing on the sump pan magnets , can only be a tick regarding preventative maintenance?!

54 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Not overly dirty , nothing on the sump pan magnets , can only be a tick regarding preventative maintenance?!

Did you change the sump and filter?

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Late to the conversation - but found this re capacities 

The Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) has two separate oil supplies and oil types. Pentosin FFL-3 hydraulic oil is used for clutch actuation and gearshifts. The filling capacity is 5.6 qts (5.3 liters).

The gear wheel oil and differential chambers are filled with 3.0 qts (2.9 liters) of Mobilube PTX, SAE 75W-90. The change interval for both oil types is 120,000 miles (180,000 km).

30 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Late to the conversation - but found this re capacities 

The Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) has two separate oil supplies and oil types. Pentosin FFL-3 hydraulic oil is used for clutch actuation and gearshifts. The filling capacity is 5.6 qts (5.3 liters).

The gear wheel oil and differential chambers are filled with 3.0 qts (2.9 liters) of Mobilube PTX, SAE 75W-90. The change interval for both oil types is 120,000 miles (180,000 km).

I think that’s depending if you can totally drain or measurement if it’s brand new in the box

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Did you change the sump and filter?

I will be just waiting for the correct parts turn up , D11 fecked up on the order good style , however the kit sent was not priced with the oil pan , due to there feck up I’m getting that for basically nothing, saving me 200 bag!!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I will be just waiting for the correct parts turn up , D11 fecked up on the order good style , however the kit sent was not priced with the oil pan , due to there feck up I’m getting that for basically nothing, saving me 200 bag!!

But because of there feck up , should have been here now DHlL now fecked up . Sorry knowbody in , we have both been in all day .. boils my p*ss these delivery drivers , obviously had enough for the day, apparently went wrong address my ar*e ! It would have my phone number on there …. Monday now , when I want to finish this job off .. you couldn’t write it 😡😡😡😡😡😡

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I think that’s depending if you can totally drain or measurement if it’s brand new in the box

Yeah - dry fill will always be more....

But, I did think that on the fluid side you are somewhere near 25% short by those numbers - that seems like a lot left behind to me but just thinking out loud really - it's all learning.

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Yeah - dry fill will always be more....

But, I did think that on the fluid side you are somewhere near 25% short by those numbers - that seems like a lot left behind to me but just thinking out loud really - it's all learning.

That way came out  can’t do nothing wrong by re applying the same amount give or take 

13 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Got another 150 m/l out by lifting the car a bit higher on the front this morning 

I saw something on Internet about fashioning a sort of bent tube to suck out more. If you're really bothered about the last little bit then just do the whole thing again after a few weeks so it's had chance to mix. If you have say 5% of old remaining then after the 2nd time round you will have 0.25% of the old stuff in there.

3 minutes ago, ATM said:

I saw something on Internet about fashioning a sort of bent tube to suck out more. If you're really bothered about the last little bit then just do the whole thing again after a few weeks so it's had chance to mix. If you have say 5% of old remaining then after the 2nd time round you will have 0.25% of the old stuff in there.

Not that an*l enough for that the fact 90% of it will be new is better than 90% not new!!

Just now, bally4563 said:

Not that an*l enough for that the fact 90% of it will be new is better than 90% not new!!

I'd be more concerned about the clutch fluid. Gears are just gears. The clutch is pure trickery.

Correct parts arrived today , got back from work and completed the job, filled up till dribbling added 4 lt , ran it up to temperature, rechecked not dribbling added approximately 250 m/l more till it dribbled again, same with diff oil , that did not require anymore than 2.3 lt I put it. All built back up and test driven does appear smoother but could be placebo effect

• Like 3

Also because D911 cocked the order up , sent me 10 lt of clutch fluid  and a gasket set! £270 no oil pan or diff oil

On return of 5lt of clutch fluid and gasket set, they have sent me the aluminium motor sport oil pan and 3 lt of diff oil , they have organised the return of wrong items and no additional cost to me !!

4 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Also because D911 cocked the order up , sent me 10 lt of clutch fluid  and a gasket set! £270 no oil pan or diff oil

On return of 5lt of clutch fluid and gasket set, they have sent me the aluminium motor sport oil pan and 3 lt of diff oil , they have organised the return of wrong items and no additional cost to me !!

Any reason you didn’t get them from Porsch Wilmslow? I thought the OEM only stuff was cheaper there?