Service PDK gearbox

bally4563

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Anyone done it ? Looks straight forward complete service kit £270 , dread to think what the dealers charge.

In August last year I was quoted £530 on a 718 to do both sets of fluid (was thinking of doing an early pre-emptive).

Official process uses a PIWIS to do some malarky.

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

In August last year I was quoted £530 on a 718 to do both sets of fluid (was thinking of doing an early pre-emptive).

Official process uses a PIWIS to do some malarky.

You don’t need PIWIS it’s just for fluid change , that’s required if the valve blocks etc are completely drained, from my understanding, should just be a case of measuring what comes and ensure at least that amount goes back, same goes for the diff oil

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

You don’t need PIWIS it’s just for fluid change , that’s required if the valve blocks etc are completely drained, from my understanding, should just be a case of measuring what comes and ensure at least that amount goes back, same goes for the diff oil

991 rather than 981..see references to fill mode

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1135303-how-to-pdk-fluid-change.html

That said there's also this...

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy-pdk-clutch-fluid-and-gear-oil-change-without-using-piwis-fill-mode.237865/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I think as part of the change they fit a new pan as the filter is built into it, that drains the valves which is why you meed PIWIS. Also to remove the pan you need to remove the rear bracing which if not done on a lift means geo needs checking and adjusting too.

Mines not due till next year so interested to see how you get on as I might give mine a go if PIWIS isn't needed

8 minutes ago, CMA said:

I think as part of the change they fit a new pan as the filter is built into it, that drains the valves which is why you meed PIWIS. Also to remove the pan you need to remove the rear bracing which if not done on a lift means geo needs checking and adjusting too.

Mines not due till next year so interested to see how you get on as I might give mine a go if PIWIS isn't needed

Yeah looks like my quote didn't include the pan just the fluids.

I'll be following this one, (edit: with great interest) as mine's probably overdue.

was thinking that my occasionally notchy drive take* up was a symptom, but, all the little gearbox niggles* that I've asked questions about seem to have cured themselves after a PDK learning reset.

*On one occasion, the car stalled around 4 times at a set of busy traffic lights, yes stalled.

It was also jerky on starting from rest, but I've seen other people mention this as normal on various fora.

Edited by cozzykim

From some u tube tutorials, I’ve seen the pan changed and no PIWIS was used, the kit from D11 is everything for £270  Watch this space!!

• Like 2

Had mine done during covid and I can confirm that the diff oil had to be within a certain temp range before using the PIWIS to bleed the system. 

Took about 15 mins for just the bleeding as I was stood underneath listening to it whilst investigating for potential issues etc.

I had mine done at Autofarm a little while ago on a previoius Cayman:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JBoo3cQundefined.jpg[/img]

Sorry about the invoice jpg not showing directly from imgur..  Anyway, it was £402 inc for oils and new bungs.

Edited by andygo
Trying to get the invoice piccy to show!

2 minutes ago, andygo said:

I usually do the dropdown menu method, worked in the past, very odd.

Seems to be a bit hit and miss depending on os platform and browser combo. I always find the way I do it works on Windows/MacOS.

14 minutes ago, andygo said:

I usually do the dropdown menu method, worked in the past, very odd.

You need the trim the sections in square brackets [  ] off the beginning and end of the share links I find.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You need the trim the sections in square brackets [  ] off the beginning and end of the share links I find.

You wont get those using the method I indicated.

3 hours ago, CMA said:

You don’t need a alignment, stripped plenty down over the years , so long as it’s once in position and you don’t change the stance all is fine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Anyone done it ? Looks straight forward complete service kit £270 , dread to think what the dealers charge.

I've drained both fluids from my 981 and topped off again. No PWIS or any other electronic anything. Just me and some hand tools. It isn't that complicated. Let me know if you have any questions. 

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I've drained both fluids from my 981 and topped off again. No PWIS or any other electronic anything. Just me and some hand tools. It isn't that complicated. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I have no worries at all , just have to put it out there in case I’ve overlooked something . Thanks