New brakes - is this normal?

kdh

To the OP , hope you get the issue sorted without more agg.

My 987.2 sat around at an OPC for 3 days whilst they occasionally sprayed them penetrating oil to loosen the brake nipples and eventually that paid off. They also advised that if it came to it then the calipers would be refurbished at £50 a corner with someone they used (talking 2020 so no doubt that price has shot up).

Whilst I was annoyed at the time it took longer to do the job I'd rather that gentle approach to stop the broken nipple issue occurring.

Bottom line next time mine is due a fluid change I'll do the same re the penetrating oil to try and prevent the issue occurring before I take the car to the garage.

Edited by iborguk

26 minutes ago, iborguk said:

To the OP , hope you get the issue sorted without more agg.

Thanks, and to the rest of you guys for the replies.👍

New (secondhand) rear callipers now bought for £200 which should sort the spongy pedal. Arriving next week.

A bit of a touchy subject as it's a friend's garage (and also a MOT Centre). Can't say any more than than but I hear what you're saying.

Edited by kdh

30 minutes ago, kdh said:

New (secondhand) rear callipers now bought for £200 which should sort the spongy pedal. Arriving next week.

A bit of a touchy subject as it's a friend's garage (and also a MOT Centre). Can't say any more than than but I hear what you're saying.

Wow.... just wow.... glad you are getting resolution, but... wow.

Once you've got the old ones off, take them to a machine shop and have them drill them out counterclockwise  carefully and clean out the threads. Fit new bleed nipples and punt them on ebay. At least you'll get some money back. 

If the bleed nipples are simply rounded then it's an easy fix for any competent mechanic. 

I've previously removed badly seized bleed nipples by heating them gently with MAP gas and then hitting them with freezer spray (available cheaply from toolstation). Do that a couple of times to each and the thermal shock cracks the oxidation/corrosion and they back out no bother. 

Also, if you're putting new steel ones back in, use some aluminium grease. Better still, buy titanium ones (they don't rust) and give them a coating of ACF50 grease before refitting. Do this and you'll never have to worry about them again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdh said:

Check the bleed nipples are freed off before they are fitted...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Screen-Shot-2024-02-04-at-16-24-37.jpg
Screen-Shot-2024-02-04-at-16-24-47.jpg

This is what the garage gave me back and I've done my best to clean them up.

I don't really know what I'm looking at but you boys do.

Can I put these on ebay and get some money back do you think?

Are there bits missing?

cheers

There should be 2 bleed nipples covered with those black rubber caps on each caliper. 
looks like each caliper is missing one. 
put them on eBay but just advise what’s happened to them, someone will buy them and get them drilled out and sorted. 

Are your brakes back to normal now?

Edited by Halfordwill

As @Halfordwill says, there should be 2 bleed nipples on each one.  Looks like they managed to snap one off each...  They'd be a starting point for an overhaul.  The 2004 has revised part numbers compared to the 97-03 986s,  Don't know if there is a compatibility issue of if it is just an up issued backwards compatible part, piston sizes front and rear remain the same at 40/36mm and 30/28mm respectively as do the uprights they bolt to so I suspect backwards compatible up issue.  They'd also fit a 996C2, but those have black calipers as standard.  If it helps you listing them, here's the part numbers for an '04:

Front left - 996 351 425 22

Front right - 996 351 425 22

Rear left - 996 352 421 24

Rear right - 996 352 422 24

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1