How Long Will You Keep You 986 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

Bought 12 months ago today...spent a small fortune on the usual and need some paint on the chips behind front wheel arches.

Thought about changing to a late 987 or 718 but can't reconcile the significant increase in cap ex for what is a 2-3k pa Sunday / funday car.

Plus the doubt the later, wider, models would fit in the garage. 

I quite enjoy the analogue feel the 986, esp the no controls on the steering wheel 

16 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Thought about changing to a late 987...

Keep the 986.  As you say, the 981/718s are bigger.  The 987s are all over 10 years old now, so there's a good chance that what you've just spent on the 986 will have to be done all over again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, plynchy said:

It's got to be done at least once, absolutely epic place, and a really pretty part of the world. Been lucky enough to go 3 times, then took the boy to the F1 last year.

I need to take the GT4 before I move on from it.

I agree, some time ago now but I went to the '91 GP (Schumacher's debut) and did a track day about 4 years later.  Even snuck round the permanent part of the rack one day when passing by when the two main parts of the circuit were still public roads.  Epic indeed.

Really eye opening to trace the old 8 mile circuit, they were brave boys back then!  (or just didn't know better)

Edited by ½cwt

I’ve had my 986S for 8 years now & have added 20K+ miles to it, one of the best if not the best car I have ever owned. Still love it, adds a smile to my face every time I drive it. I love the fact that it is basic, not loads of electronic trickery to go wrong!
As regards size I agree with @greenman986s @Araf that the width is narrower, in fact the reg number says it is before extra large ! 

15 minutes ago, Toddie said:

I’ve had my 986S for 8 years now & have added 20K+ miles to it, one of the best if not the best car I have ever owned. Still love it, adds a smile to my face every time I drive it. I love the fact that it is basic, not loads of electronic trickery to go wrong!
As regards size I agree with @greenman986s @Araf that the width is narrower, in fact the reg number says it is before extra large ! 

Being a geek I checked.  The 987 and 981 are the same width and only 21mm wider than the 986, ignoring mirrors I believe on those dims.  It has grown in length by about 30mm with each new generation.

Interesting.. where did you get those specs?

Autotrader lists the 986 as 1765 wide and the 987 as 1801 wide.., not much more than you quote but the  key is whether that is with mirrors folded..

I haven't determined if you can open the windows on the later models as you can with the 986.., makes it much easier in a narrow garage.

30 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Being a geek I checked.  The 987 and 981 are the same width and only 21mm wider than the 986, ignoring mirrors I believe on those dims.  It has grown in length by about 30mm with each new generation.

That is surprising. :)

Purchased April 21. Love it and keep spending.😬. Not what I was looking for at the time. Wanted a 944 convertible as had a 44 lux and a 24 many moons ago. Couldn’t find a good one for the money and just looked at a 986.2 that I see advertised. That was it. It will stay until I cannot get in it or most probably, get out of it! 😂. Keep looking at other Porsche convertibles. But just like looking and dreaming. 🤪. Wife would kill me. 😉🤙🏻

I suppose circumstances often dictate when we sell our 986’s. Mine is an early 2.5 as it was when it left the factory. So I reckon it's part of Porsche History. Spent more than the cars worth. Just had to replace the clutch, so IMS and oil seal done as well on 97000. The car is used on a regular basis to keep the oils flowing. But heres the crunch, I’m now 81 years old but can still jack the car up and do lots of jobs myself. My daughter also loves the car and drives it regularly and wants me to leave it to her in my will ! So it wont be going anywhere at the moment . By the way an interesting topic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I plan on keeping the 986 until either it dies, or I die.

My sensible car is an Alfa Romeo 147 Sport Q2 which is a blast to drive, with comfortable fuel-efficient cruising on the motorway, brilliant handling when called for, and just an excellent little car really. I have owned that car now for 8 years and have no plans to sell it (125,000 miles and going strong) but if it ever does die, or rather when it dies,  I plan to replace it with a 996 or 997.  I see no reason to sell the 986 for any reason whatsoever.

Hello 1/2cwt. Thanks for the help you’ve given me on my posts.

I bought a 986 S Tiptronic about 10 years ago and used it for the school run. Great car. I had an exhaust bypass fitted and it sounded very good. Sold it and went through a handful of aircooled Porsches and 987’s, but always missed the lightness of the steering and general ease of driving of the 986. 

Bought a Cayman which I’ve had for a few years but when my wife’s friend said she was selling her Boxster a few weeks ago I had to have a nosey as I do like a convertible. Reason for selling was the £3000 potential bill her garage was quoting to fix the rusty brake lines and refresh the brakes. She’d had enough expense over the years and didn’t want any more, so we struck a fair deal, but I didn’t steal it.

It’s a car that’s light and easy to drive with plenty of go, a fairly decent ride quality and a nice exhaust note. I don’t really care if it gets scratched on the hedgerows when I’m bombing down the country lanes with the roof off. It’s easy to park, no-one stares at you, you get let out at junctions and to be honest I can’t think of anything I’d rather own. 

My government pension is struggling to cover the costs at the moment so I’m having to watch the pennies and it’s a shame I’m not able to do any work myself, due to incompetence.

I can’t see myself selling anytime soon and have no idea what I’d replace it with, even if I had unlimited funds.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:16 AM, ½cwt said:

I have a Leon ST as my daily company car, and also a V8 hankering, in fact that was what I thought I was looking for but ended up with a mid-engined flat 6.  Go figure.

A V8 hankering... Are you looking at TVR Chimaeras? Or Jag XKs? Or old Corvettes? 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand

On 1/28/2024 at 12:16 AM, ½cwt said:

and also a V8 hankering

I had one of these after the Prosche itch was scratched.
End up with 4.2 V8 Supercharged Range Rover. I think its going to ruin me 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, eob said:

I had one of these after the Prosche itch was scratched.
End up with 4.2 V8 Supercharged Range Rover. I think its going to ruin me 🤦‍♂️

Have you driven a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover from about 2010–2012 vintage. Insanely fast for a diesel!

11 minutes ago, phazed said:

Have you driven a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover from about 2010–2012 vintage. Insanely fast for a diesel!

I had heard that but the turbo failure rate put me off and apparently its a body off frame job to replace if they go. Same as the sport.
maxresdefault.jpg

The JLR SC V8 has got quite a good reputation and is ULEZ complient.

I'm lucky to have had 2 V8's, 4.4 BMW V8 in an L322 and also a C55 AMG. 

I'd like to try an E39 M5 (tried one but not for that long), a Ferrari V8 (perhaps an F355 is in some Dreamland attainable!)

6 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

A V8 hankering... Are you looking at TVR Chimaeras? Or Jag XKs? Or old Corvettes? 

928?? 🤔

Interesting thread, and something that I think about regularly..

I'm into the 3rd year of ownership of my 2.7, and I love it. Spent a small fortune on it, which I'd never get back.

I have a company BMW and the Boxster is just a 2nd fun / weekend / tinkering car. 

I've a bit of a 997 thing going on at the moment, but the reality is the Boxster already delivers everything I really need. I like taking the roof down and convertible 911's don't look right to my eyes 

Never say never, but I think I'll be keeping it. Plus, it's in such amazing condition, I'd never find another one like it

I can't think of anything else that offers so much, for so little !

If the Lotto lands, I'll be getting a GT3, to keep the Boxster company, in my new mansion

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edc said:

I'm lucky to have had 2 V8's, 4.4 BMW V8 in an L322 and also a C55 AMG. 

I'd like to try an E39 M5 (tried one but not for that long), a Ferrari V8 (perhaps an F355 is in some Dreamland attainable!)

E39 530d Sport is still my favourite car and one that I miss.

23 minutes ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

Yeah... an even more accomplished car than the younger and still awesome E31 840Ci. 

Only if you dare take on the electrics with no diagnostic tools!!