How Long Will You Keep You 986 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Do it Do it Do it Do it...

I ain't that good, or that rich...  It is one V8 I won't have in my life, even if I did have a soft spot for a 928 S4 at one point in my yoof.

I’ve had mine 7 years and done lots of work to it, but it’s getting to the point where I probably need to spend a fair bit to get it back to A1. New rear tyres, condensers, sort out cabin leak, ABS light has just come on. However it also has a rust spot under the air intake and some fairly serious rust going on underneath on the chassis members which I’ve cleaned up, but they’ll go again. For this reason, I’m pretty sure it won’t make it into next year.

I was going to buy a 981, but having driven @bally4563’s 981S, I think it’s too much of a change to make in one go and by chance I have a mate who’s looking to move his 987.2 on this year, so this seems like the obvious next move.

4 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I’ve had mine 7 years and done lots of work to it, but it’s getting to the point where I probably need to spend a fair bit to get it back to A1. New rear tyres, condensers, sort out cabin leak, ABS light has just come on. However it also has a rust spot under the air intake and some fairly serious rust going on underneath on the chassis members which I’ve cleaned up, but they’ll go again. For this reason, I’m pretty sure it won’t make it into next year.

I was going to buy a 981, but having driven @bally4563’s 981S, I think it’s too much of a change to make in one go and by chance I have a mate who’s looking to move his 987.2 on this year, so this seems like the obvious next move.

I get that @Nobbie , moving from a 6 to  a 7 was a big jump for me , however in my mind to move on again I had to go two generations, to make the same impact , and I can’t fault my decision 

I get the rationale of those who trade for a newer Boxster and make some assumption they are all looking for something different. But if you are not then buy the same or similar again?

Bought it mine in Feb 21 without driving it/seeing it and not planning to sell, I have been driving(thanks to my role at my company) different vehicles at the tracks & roads, 986 is always the best fun I have ever had, chassis could be better if it is more stiff and it has a bit more power for tracks but for public driving it is great. It is simple, well balanced, easy to control, more natural feedback, it also doesn't cost much. I might be tempted for also early 1999,2000 911s but not planning to sell my 986 at all. 986 is the first Porsche I have ever seen close by and I found the same spec as I have seen in 2002 so again not planning to sell, hopefully I won't have to :)

Edited by femreg
typo

7 minutes ago, femreg said:

Bought it mine in Feb 21 without driving it/seeing it and not planning to sell, I have been driving(thanks to my role at my company) different vehicles at the tracks & roads, 986 is always the best fun I have ever had, chassis could be better if it is more stiff and it has a bit more power for tracks but for public driving it is great. It is simple, well balanced, easy to control, more natural feedback, it also doesn't cost much. I might be tempted for also early 1999,2000 911s but not planning to sell my 986 at all. 986 is the first Porsche I have ever seen close by and I found the same spec as I have seen in 2002 so again not planning to sell, hopefully I won't have to :)

Go front and rear strut braces, I know a man  who makes rears !!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, femreg said:

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Go front and rear strut braces, I know a man  who makes rears !!

Yes, @bally4563's rear brace bar kit gives the rear end a bit more composure and positivity.  Dead simple to fit and good value.

44 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Yes, @bally4563's rear brace bar kit gives the rear end a bit more composure and positivity.  Dead simple to fit and good value.

As said at the mo until the 986 is sorted can’t take any requests, can’t get near enough to the milling machine , but I am available for orders , so I can get materials in  and then can have a field day knocking them out !

I bought my 2003S from Belfast OPC with 2,000 miles on the clock when it had been traded in at 3 years old. Bought over the phone unseen as the SE knew what I was looking for. Kept it for 11 years and then moved it on for a new 718S.

The 986 was pretty much bullet proof - the window regulator went on the driver's side, and the exhaust rear box was replaced due to a rattle but that was it apart from servicing. Oh, and a clutch. And a battery. When it went, it had 77k on it. Great car.

Interestingly, a work colleague was in Belfast getting his 911 serviced and got chatting to another customer - an older gentleman. They were both looking at a new boxster, when the other chap remarked that he used to have a boxster, only did a couple of thousand miles in it before trading it in. My pal recognised that it was probably mine - not too many trilogy blues around - and told him that I had it and still was driving it. He was suitably impressed and regretted having traded it in. Apparently, he had lots and lots of exotic cars, the Boxster was his wife's and was rarely used.

When I sold it, I had all the paperwork out for the prospective buyer. He arrived at Happy Towers with another chap in tow (his mechanic). When they wanted to go for a test drive, I handed over the keys and suggested a decent drive loop - probably a little over 10 miles. They both duly departed and were back within a couple of minutes having turned back after less than a mile. They reckoned that there wasn't too much to learn about the car as I had been honest with them about everything and the short drive checked out. The buyer asked about the IMS bearing - I didn't even know that that was a thing! He transferred the cash right there and then - I could see the funds coming into my account on the phone as he did the deal.

I often wonder if he still has it. That was in November 2016 when I bought the 718.

IMG_8769.JPG.7859c66d242d94a20435cb9508c

• Like 2

I've spent so much on my 2.7 986.2, it's basically staying with me for a few years. I have a Mercedes E500 coupe for my daily which takes care of my inner speed demon, the wife has an EV for family stuff so the 986 is for handling and sun. I can't see a point in upgrading to a 987/981, only thing that might tempt me at some point is a lotus...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randeep said:

I've spent so much on my 2.7 986.2, it's basically staying with me for a few years. I have a Mercedes E500 coupe for my daily which takes care of my inner speed demon, the wife has an EV for family stuff so the 986 is for handling and sun. I can't see a point in upgrading to a 987/981, only thing that might tempt me at some point is a lotus...

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious...

Had mine 11 years now. I really can't think of a good reason to change it. Its a bit slow perhaps, but on a summers day with the roof down on country roads its fab and the way it goes around cornersis perfect. I seemed to spend silly  money on replacing parts and repairs when I first had it but for the last few years it's been fault free and cost next to nothing to own. Although I am replacing a lower coffin arm at the moment as its got an irritating creak/squeek.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Tempt you to what, crash course in DIY mechanics?

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious...

Be fair. 

I'm loving my Boxster, but having driven a few of them, I know that I could p*ss all over it in an S1 Elise.

Same driver, same time, same (twisty) road? The Elise would whip the Boxster. 

Not as comfortable, not as reliable, but I can see why Randeep is keen, no?

Edited by DaveyP

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You’re new here aren’t you?

:D 

Reasonably. 

Might have had a glass of red whilst watching thd rugby last night too...

:inocent:

I'll pipe down and go make a start on my brake lines...

I used to have a 986 and owned it for nearly 3 years years or so.

Our first Boxster. Lapis Blue 2002 model.

It was a great car but things just kept going wrong. It had been very well looked after before my time and as an ex car mechanic I know my way round a car and this looked a gem but during my time of ownership it had (from memory) a clutch. indicator stalks, both door membranes, disc and pads all round, coffin arms and tuning forks all round, all 6 coil packs, a battery, the exhaust and it needed tyres in Italy (not the cars fault) when the new Michelins went out of round.

In the direct opposite to anyone else I just got fed up of working on it and swapped it in for a Yellow 987.

There are fond memories of my 986 as we went to Italy twice, all round Germany and to Barcelona in it but I can't say I miss it or the many hours spent working on it.

Since then I went through the 987 to a 981 and now on my second 718S.

XDwPZWb.jpeg

Edited by Malcolm E Box
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveyP said:

Be fair. 

I'm loving my Boxster, but having driven a few of them, I know that I could p*ss all over it in an S1 Elise.

Same driver, same time, same (twisty) road? The Elise would whip the Boxster. 

Not as comfortable, not as reliable, but I can see why Randeep is keen, no?

No comment on the ability of the cars (or driver 😉), just long standing perception of the marque.  Great fun though.

Had my 944S for almost 15 years so I’m going for 20 on the 986. By then I’ll be late 60s so know idea what I’d be thinking then. Cars keep getting heavier and with too much electronics. I think 2004 is really the last good year. Early Cayman was a thought until the bore scoring issue surfaced. Kind of over Porsche at this point.

I like large engines.

My previous 5.5 Chimaera. I did a huge amount of track days with this car. Not a patch on an Elise through the twisties but on the straights...

5Z8h9D5.png

Bought my 2003 986s tip last September and is my first Porsche. (Will do a straight  swap for a nice low mileage 981 if any one has one?? 😂 😜 )

Always promised myself a P when I retired but was too busy with XKR’s and F-types for a good few years. Got the V8 supercharged phase out of my system and then spare funds from a stint of working last summer allowed me to indulge in a wee flat 6 convertible . Bought the best one for my budget but looked on it as a ‘project car’ to work on over the winter just to get to know what Boxsters are all about. 
Been busy on getting it all sorted and now feel fairly comfortable working on them.

They are surprisingly logical and easy to work on-once you get over the initial ‘where’s the heck is the engine’ moment when you first try one out! The more jobs I do ,the more respect I have for the Boxster designers …………….👏👏

Only reason for me to ‘upgrade’ to a 981 is my height 6’2” and the fact that I have spinal compression in 3 vertebrae- and I do find the 986 cabin and driving position just too small for anything other than an hour at a time. I just need a bigger cabin. Still has to be a flat 6 though 👍👌

1 hour ago, ribroaster3 said:

Bought my 2003 986s tip last September and is my first Porsche. (Will do a straight  swap for a nice low mileage 981 if any one has one?? 😂 😜 )

Always promised myself a P when I retired but was too busy with XKR’s and F-types for a good few years. Got the V8 supercharged phase out of my system and then spare funds from a stint of working last summer allowed me to indulge in a wee flat 6 convertible . Bought the best one for my budget but looked on it as a ‘project car’ to work on over the winter just to get to know what Boxsters are all about. 
Been busy on getting it all sorted and now feel fairly comfortable working on them.

They are surprisingly logical and easy to work on-once you get over the initial ‘where’s the heck is the engine’ moment when you first try one out! The more jobs I do ,the more respect I have for the Boxster designers …………….👏👏

Only reason for me to ‘upgrade’ to a 981 is my height 6’2” and the fact that I have spinal compression in 3 vertebrae- and I do find the 986 cabin and driving position just too small for anything other than an hour at a time. I just need a bigger cabin. Still has to be a flat 6 though 👍👌

987.2 will get you more cabin space and the same drive train as the 981 for ££s less.

• Like 2

My 987. One has plenty of room. I am 6’2” tall and the seat is slightly forwards for the optimal driving position. Never thought the cabin was too cramped.

My 987.1 has plenty of room. I am 6‘2“ tall and the seat is slightly forwards for the optimal driving position. Never thought the cabin was too cramped.

As for my 986, I have never driven it apart from driving it on and off the trailer when I picked it up! I hope it’s not too small after all the work I’ve done on it!!!