How Long Will You Keep You 986 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

I got my 986 in Sept 2018 so 5 and a bit years ago.  I've done lots of work to refresh it and to create a hobby as well as a 'toy' was the plan.  With work running out, thoughts maybe turn to what's next.  By the way this is the longest time I've kept any car before so it already has a special status for me and it is my first 'premium' brand car.

It would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on how long they plan to keep theirs and what might spark you to move on, other than obvious having to sell to raise money if harder times come along? 

May be 987s or 981s getting cheaper, want to scratch a different itch, or if you have changed how did it happen?

Well, I had my 986 for 2 years... initially bought it because I wanted to try out mid engined, flat 6 porsches! But really I think the 987 was always the one i really wanted, so after a successful trial period I swapped over.

The 987 also has some useful upgrades over a 986, important ones for me were better interior, lower seats, better looking exterior and wider standard wheels.

Though don't think the 987 is a forever car either, probably another 2 years then funds might allow either a 997 C2S or maybe even an R8 V8.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Thanks 1

I got mine in February '22, so two years ago. Similarly to you, my cars are hobbies as well as transport. Have a sensible Seat as a family car.

I've done a fair bit to the Boxster already, and still have a good bit planned, so I hope it'll be with me a while yet.

What might make me change it is the fact that I can only take one other member of the family out in it at once. Although that's also a reason for keeping it!

I had an XJ years ago and loved it. Have longed for another one ever since, so if I do sell the 986, it'll be supercharger time!

Bought mine with 93k on the clock in July 2016. It has now done more than 150k, I have spent several times what I bought it for on maintenance, upgrades and fuel, but I never intend to sell it, especially now that it has become a garaged second car and is soon to receive a brand new Dansk sports exhaust and 200 cel cats...

I guess I'm also too proud to sell my car unless it's in pristine condition, and there's still some work to go to get the cosmetics fully sorted. 

And there are always more upgrades to look forward to. Maybe some years down the line, if I have the money, when the engine needs a rebuild I'll have a 3.7l conversion done. Most people would never justify that kind of cost when they could just buy a Cayman/997/whatever, which deep down is what they really want anyway. I am not knocking the idea of a Cayman 987 S (with upgrades to bring it to R spec or better) or a 997 C2S, they are great cars, though the 987 Boxster doesn't really do it for me, looks-wise. But the 986 captured my 12 year-old imagination when I saw the 1993 concept car, I love the looks of the thing, almost as much as I love the looks of the pure, pebble-shaped 996.1. (Yep, you read that right.) But I would only consider a 996.1 in Carrera 2 manual guise, with no sunroof and no GT3 body kit addenda either (GT3 mechanicals are another matter). Sometimes I think that's an itch I'd still like to scratch someday, but the consensus seems to be that the 986 is just as much fun, if not more.

When I was young my plan was to get an unappreciated dream car, the likeliest candidate being a normally aspirated Giugiaro Esprit, but that boat has sailed. Who knows, maybe in 15 years time, if 986 prices go the way of 944/968/928 prices and we're still able to drive ICE cars without too much hassle, I might reconsider.

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand
Typos
  • Like 2

I've had a 986 since 2012 bought with some redundancy money and the current one since late 2013. Over the years I've thought about changing for a 987 Spyder or Lotus Exige V6. 

Before my kids I did a Euro trip every year for a good few years but for the last 4 years or so I barely manage a few 100 miles a year. I don't see the point of changing for perhaps another 10 years but perhaps EV cars might change the landscape and there may be some sort of last chance saloon in a few years which might make me change my mind. 

5 hours ago, DaveyP said:

I got mine in February '22, so two years ago. Similarly to you, my cars are hobbies as well as transport. Have a sensible Seat as a family car.

I've done a fair bit to the Boxster already, and still have a good bit planned, so I hope it'll be with me a while yet.

What might make me change it is the fact that I can only take one other member of the family out in it at once. Although that's also a reason for keeping it!

I had an XJ years ago and loved it. Have longed for another one ever since, so if I do sell the 986, it'll be supercharger time!

I have a Leon ST as my daily company car, and also a V8 hankering, in fact that was what I thought I was looking for but ended up with a mid-engined flat 6.  Go figure.

Had ours since August 21 and still very much enjoying it. Always things to do but a great car that we both enjoy.

No thoughts of replacement just yet but must admit that I have a soft spot for an Alpine 110. That is a few years away yet though.

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I have a Leon ST as my daily company car, and also a V8 hankering, in fact that was what I thought I was looking for but ended up with a mid-engined flat 6.  Go figure.

Ha! Ours is an ST. Sounds like our Boxsters are fairly similar too. It seems we've got a bit in common.

Can only assume you're a very handsome man! 

• Haha 2

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. Spent loads on service parts, consumables and waiting for my garage appointment to fix it all. I hope I keep it for a long time.

I'm already hiding cost from the Mrs, so I wonder how long it'll really last in my possession. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveyP said:

Ha! Ours is an ST. Sounds like our Boxsters are fairly similar too. It seems we've got a bit in common.

Can only assume you're a very handsome man! 

Ah, that could be where things fall down....

Any Scoobies in your past?

34 minutes ago, helm hurst said:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. Spent loads on service parts, consumables and waiting for my garage appointment to fix it all. I hope I keep it for a long time.

I'm already hiding cost from the Mrs, so I wonder how long it'll really last in my possession. 

Here's a plan.

Years ago The Better ½ and I agreed we'd have an amount each month put into our own separate accounts from out joint account.  We could do what we wanted with that, but had to include costs of presents to each other.  IIRC it started at £100 per month back in 2002 and rose over time to £180 per month each now.  I pay for anything that isn't standard annual service, tyres, tax, insurance, MOT for the Boxster (so restoration work, accessories and tools) and my Le Mans trips out of mine.  We get also get to bank any TopCashBack earned on our work expenses, so back in 2018/19 when I had to pay for all work expenses and claim back I had to spend 16 weeks going to and from Scandinavia each week, so 1% or 6% here 10% there on hotels, airport parking and car hire etc got me another £850 towards the Boxster, so paid for most of the suspension refresh parts.  Sadly I have to book travel centrally now with current employer and don't travel as much either.  She does Spa trips and evenings out with friends and the like.  Avoids questions about where the money goes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Here's a plan.

Years ago The Better ½ and I agreed we'd have an amount each month put into our own separate accounts from out joint account.  We could do what we wanted with that, but had to include costs of presents to each other.  IIRC it started at £100 per month back in 2002 and rose over time to £180 per month each now.  I pay for anything that isn't standard annual service, tyres, tax, insurance, MOT for the Boxster (so restoration work, accessories and tools) and my Le Mans trips out of mine.  We get also get to bank any TopCashBack earned on our work expenses, so back in 2018/19 when I had to pay for all work expenses and claim back I had to spend 16 weeks going to and from Scandinavia each week, so 1% or 6% here 10% there on hotels, airport parking and car hire etc got me another £850 towards the Boxster, so paid for most of the suspension refresh parts.  Sadly I have to book travel centrally now with current employer and don't travel as much either.  She does Spa trips and evenings out with friends and the like.  Avoids questions about where the money goes.

And if she's lucky, Better½ gets a bar of chocolate for her birthday!

One way to stretch your budget is for you both to agree that Spa trips come out the joint account. You'd get atleast one track day in Belgium before a foul's called! 😅

• Haha 1

Owned mine - or does it possess me? - since May 2007.

Cannot see me replacing it with another Boxster unless it was a 982 Spyder.

Haven’t been in another car that ticks as many boxes as my 986 does - so can’t see it going to facilitate replacement with something else either.

My 2006 Range Rover Sport does dog box, pick-up truck and general smoking around duties - but writing this reminds me to make more use of the 986.

• Like 1

I wish I could go to Spa. We've just bought our retirement home on the Isle of Wight, so waiting for refub work to be completed before we leave London (for good I hope). 

Budgets are under extreme scrutiny at the moment by my better half. As she often reminds me "we'd live in a garage if you had your way". I couldn't agree more. 

I also have a ducati scrambler that randomly demands funding, ah the joys of financial marital deceit.   

• Haha 1

Had my 986S about 5 years, was my first Porsche and was bought 24 hours after a conversation at work about 2 seat convertibles and was the first one I saw. Eventually it made way for the first of 3 987S that I have had.

Was a great car and I changed the lights for later spec ones and put 987S wheels on which i think suited it and made it look a bit more modern too.

Biggest downside on it for me was the interior was soooooooooooooooooooooo old looking compared to the 987

29789352288_3eed4471fe_o_d.jpg

Had mine since 2018, done loads of work on maintenance and upgrades.  Always look on AT for what other Porsche I could get to replace it with.  But with amount I’ve spent on my 986 think I would struggle to find something as sorted.

But you never know.

First Boxster (986) purchased new in 2002.Sold in 2016 14yrs old and replaced with new Boxster 718. Still have it in my garage. At 78 yrs of age me that is not the car I can't see me ever selling it. Both cars have given me so much pleasure over the years.

4 hours ago, DaveyP said:

Yup. Had me a tuned up Bugeye Wagon...

Spooky - I've had two Mk1 Legacy Turbos, a Classic Impreza 4 door and two classic wagons (one a chipped up JDM import).

1 hour ago, Sanky said:

Had mine since 2018, done loads of work on maintenance and upgrades.  Always look on AT for what other Porsche I could get to replace it with.  But with amount I’ve spent on my 986 think I would struggle to find something as sorted.

But you never know.

That's abut where I am too!  But I'm being tempted...

5 hours ago, helm hurst said:

I wish I could go to Spa.    

It's got to be done at least once, absolutely epic place, and a really pretty part of the world. Been lucky enough to go 3 times, then took the boy to the F1 last year.

I need to take the GT4 before I move on from it.

Edited by plynchy