How Long Will You Keep You 986 & What Might Make You Change It?

½cwt

3 hours ago, phazed said:

My 987. One has plenty of room. I am 6’2” tall and the seat is slightly forwards for the optimal driving position. Never thought the cabin was too cramped.

My 987.1 has plenty of room. I am 6‘2“ tall and the seat is slightly forwards for the optimal driving position. Never thought the cabin was too cramped.

As for my 986, I have never driven it apart from driving it on and off the trailer when I picked it up! I hope it’s not too small after all the work I’ve done on it!!!

My 986.2 was a little tight so I done a console delete which makes a lot of difference. Well to me anyway. 6’1” tall. 🤙🏻

3 hours ago, kdh said:

I'm 5' 10 and find 986 a bit cramped. Knees almost touching steering wheel.

987 is perfect though.

That is disappointing to hear, being 6‘2“ tall. I may if I have time, bolt the seat in position and test the seating position. I know I’ve had the car for several months but never really driven it.!

@phazed I am 6’ 4” and have managed to drive mine in comfort for 8 years. Head room is limited but I always have the roof off, unless tipping down or on motorway.

8 hours ago, kdh said:

I'm 5' 10 and find 986 a bit cramped

Never heard that from anyone under 6ft before!  Seemed that 6’2” was the approximate limit, depending on body part proportions. 

11 hours ago, kdh said:

I'm 5' 10 and find 986 a bit cramped. Knees almost touching steering wheel.

987 is perfect though.

Remember the steering wheel is reach adjustable, so you can pull it towards you if you move the seat base back a bit to straighten your legs...

Im thinking of selling mine, once I put it through MOT next month.

Bought it for a bit of fun, which it has given plenty of, but running three cars and not putting many miles on two of them is getting a bit hard to justify.

Will decide for definite soon, but I think if I was offered over £3000 for it once MOT,d I would take it.

Its cosmetically scruffy, but mechanically pretty good. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my ‘03 2.7 at the end of July 2017, so 6+ years at this point. It was, and still is, a low mileage car (now roughly 55k), seal grey and extended Metropole Blue leather, all original paint and very clean. It’s a fair weather car only and I have no intention to sell/change to anything else. A nice 997 might be tempting if the right one cropped up but I’m not seriously thinking about it. My 986 replaced a mk1 MX5 with a previous history of MGB, TR4 etc, so I’m perfectly happy with the Boxster being a classic rather than a modern sports car - a GT3 console delete helps with the classic vibe. Happily there was a boxed, unused original one in the correct colour for sale on the forum just after I bought the car. 

I bought mine 986 3 years ago. it was in a really-really bad condition but we pushed through and fixed almost everything. My dream was always 996/997 but after all we went through, I couldn't sell it now. 

The 911 would have extra performance (don't really need it tbh) and is arguably a better looking car but much more expensive maintenance (fuel economy and road tax are crazy compare to 986). I stick with my 986. It deserves a caring home.

• 2 weeks later...

Reacquainting myself with a 986 after 20 years it remains a favourite and, at the end of the age of petrol, is it the all round greatest sports car ever. Very possibly. 

I liked Empire and Return if the Jedi but neither were jaw dropping like episode 4.

• Like 3

Had mine since 2016 and now its about to go.  986 2.7 2003 manual.

It was a great project - I have done everything myself in the garage - IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, suspension, brakes, interior upgrades, maintenance, wheels etc etc etc

But I now have a 997 - so she has to go  - a very sad day when it comes. 😥

On 3/19/2024 at 7:42 PM, DorsetWurzel said:

Haven’t got any plans to sell it, but I am getting a TVR Chimera 4.0HC it needs some work, but hopefully they can live happily together!

Any questions, please ask. I’ve had my TVRs completely apart several times. 🙃

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Sometimes even intentionally?

A shed full of upgrades over the years.

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Any questions, please ask. I’ve had my TVRs completely apart several times. 🙃

tQaohoJ.png

gZbtsb1.png

You can do so much with these cars. They are like a driving Mechano set.

My 5.5 stroked and bored RV8 Chimaera.

I’ll get my coat now. 

1 hour ago, phazed said:

tQaohoJ.png

gZbtsb1.png

You can do so much with these cars. They are like a driving Mechano set.

My 5.5 stroked and bored RV8 Chimaera.

I’ll get my coat now. 

That'll be why you are questioning the torque of a 986S....

Quite possibly…Acceleration from 70-150 in top gear was blisteringly fast. I do miss that part of it.

I have only done about 50 miles in the 986 so far. The performance is growing on me. Strangely the torque at around 2K seems very usable.

Also, I am either getting used to the ToyoSport exhaust or it is settling down. Had a play with the db meter at a friend’s today. 5K revs recorded a constant 99 db. Not great but it seems to be settling down.

Im currently trying to decide whether to sell mine in the next couple of months, as it is. Or, tidy it up cosmetically over the summer and then sell it next spring.

I cant afford to run three cars, and the Boxster is a luxury / toy / project, so it will be the one that has to go unfortunately.