Litronic Retrofit Kit

Sanky

Has anyone fitted the Litronic retrofit kit to a 986.2?

I've fitted the kit, but can't get the low beam xenon to kick up when high beam is selected.

Link below if folks aren't familiar with it.

Porsche 911 Carrera Litronic Headlamp Installation - 996 (1998-2005) - 997 (2005-2012) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Using this Module 996 618 015 10, which I am not sure is the issue or what I am trying to do is not for UK cars.

Not the kit but there is a how to in the how to section written by I think Duffy from several years ago. 

11 hours ago, edc said:

Not the kit but there is a how to in the how to section written by I think Duffy from several years ago. 

Thanks found the thread.

So I may need to find the specific control module that is supplied with the retrofit kit.  As I just picked on up from eBay thinking they would all be the same.

Those of you that have factory fitted litronic, do your low beam kick up with the high beam is switched on?

@Richard Hamilton, seen some of your old post on this subject.  Can you recall if need to use a specific control module to get this feature to work?

Edited by Sanky

8 hours ago, helm hurst said:

I have it to fit. I think I saw somewhere you swap those two wires around. There are youtube vids showing the install. FCP euro I think.

I’ve looked on YT and the net and not seen anything about this.  If you can link the post it would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, helm hurst said:

Try this. Go to about 36mins in for the swap info'. However his car is an early one. Good luck

These for aftermarket lights, I’m fitting genuine Porsche Litronic headlights.

1 hour ago, Sanky said:

These for aftermarket lights, I’m fitting genuine Porsche Litronic headlights.

For a genuine retro fit, have you added the ride height sensors to the left side suspension front and rear.  This could affect whether the main beam flip up is working as these are required to level the dipped beam too.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

For a genuine retro fit, have you added the ride height sensors to the left side suspension front and rear.  This could affect whether the main beam flip up is working as these are required to level the dipped beam too.

It’s a retrofit kit that was offered from Porsche at the time.  The whole point of the kit is for the low beam to flip up with the high beam.  Without adding the height sensors.

Only thing I can see I’m doing different is using control module with a different part number as TSB.  Which may be the issue.

Just need someone to tell me if factory fitted install has this feature?

My recently acquired 986.2 has the Litronic option from factory.  However, I must admit they are still pretty poor to modern LED lights! lol

Comparing to my 992 which has PDLS+ and my wife's Audi which has matrix LED's.  Not a fair comparison but when you get used to the better lighting it's hard to adjust when jumping into the Boxster.  Any advice on how to brighten them up?  Nevertheless, it's a nice factory option and they look good on the car, so happy days! :)

Edited by Schuey

Make sure the lenses are nice and clear, they tend to yellow with age.  Stepping back the the 986 even with Litronic from a modern LED equipped car is quite noticeable.  However much better than the H7 candle lit versions.

• Like 1

You can also change the bulbs. The HID lose some efficiency with use over the years. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

You can also change the bulbs. The HID lose some efficiency with use over the years. 

Ah ok.  Which bulbs would you recommend?  Need to get from the dealer or can get from elsewhere?

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Make sure the lenses are nice and clear, they tend to yellow with age.  Stepping back the the 986 even with Litronic from a modern LED equipped car is quite noticeable.  However much better than the H7 candle lit versions.

Thanks, the lenses are clean to be fair but you're right, compared to the modern cars not great.  I suppose they were good at the time, but things have really improved since then.  But if changing the bulbs is an option, then I will try that to get some improvement.

I put new Osram standard D2S bulbs in my Litronics a couple of years ago and noticed a difference.  Not massive, but an improvement.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:31 PM, Sanky said:

Has anyone fitted the Litronic retrofit kit to a 986.2?

I've fitted the kit, but can't get the low beam xenon to kick up when high beam is selected.

Link below if folks aren't familiar with it.

Porsche 911 Carrera Litronic Headlamp Installation - 996 (1998-2005) - 997 (2005-2012) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Using this Module 996 618 015 10, which I am not sure is the issue or what I am trying to do is not for UK cars.

For pure nerd value I tried to find that part in the parts list.  Can’t match it.  Although Google searches find units with that part number and they are there plain as day on eBay.  

Also interested to learn about the “kick” never knew that was a thing. 

on the 987.2 bi-xenon there is a supplemental halogen high beam bulb because of the “warm up” time for xenon , when you flash your lights the halogen is there for instant effect and then the xenon catches up.  Also interesting is that cars equipped with them don’t have front fog lights.  Apparently the beam pattern is sufficient. 

13 hours ago, Paul P said:

For pure nerd value I tried to find that part in the parts list.  Can’t match it.  Although Google searches find units with that part number and they are there plain as day on eBay.  

Also interested to learn about the “kick” never knew that was a thing. 

on the 987.2 bi-xenon there is a supplemental halogen high beam bulb because of the “warm up” time for xenon , when you flash your lights the halogen is there for instant effect and then the xenon catches up.  Also interesting is that cars equipped with them don’t have front fog lights.  Apparently the beam pattern is sufficient. 

There are not many control modules with 996 618 151 ** part number about and the ones listed on eBay seem to demand a premium, which is the part used in the retrofit-kit.  Not sure on the difference yet between that and 996 618 015** module.

But think I could mimic the height sensors with a few resistors to get the low beam kick up to work.

Wiring loom is still available from OPC.

Edited by Sanky

I couldn't see them on the PET docs - so I am thinking its either a part number that means "its in the retro kit and is really something else" - or a special part for the kit that does what the factory kit would do if it had the height sensors.....

Interesting stuff - hope you get to the bottom of it.

On 1/30/2024 at 5:13 PM, Schuey said:

My recently acquired 986.2 has the Litronic option from factory.  However, I must admit they are still pretty poor to modern LED lights! lol

Comparing to my 992 which has PDLS+ and my wife's Audi which has matrix LED's.  Not a fair comparison but when you get used to the better lighting it's hard to adjust when jumping into the Boxster.  Any advice on how to brighten them up?  Nevertheless, it's a nice factory option and they look good on the car, so happy days! :)

You may benefit on this kit,

Porsche 986 Boxster 96-04 bi-xenon headlight repair & upgrade kit for (retrofitlab.com)

• Like 1

Without reading the whole thread, I wonder if someone can answer this question

My 986 has the Litronic headlight system. I have just been putting the car back together, new suspension amongst other items and when I was dismantling, I found that the two sensors on the front and rear nearside that are linked to the coffin arms had broken arms, plastic brackets and the mounting on the sensors were also broken. I understand that this system, when working is excellent as it takes into consideration the attitude of the car and points the headlights in the right direction all the time. Question: if I leave these sensors disconnected, (remove them completely) will the headlights stay in a fixed attitude like normal headlights? Will there be any errors that come up on the dash?

Reason I have asked is as usual, these parts cost an absolute fortune for what they are!

29 minutes ago, phazed said:

My 986 has the Litronic headlight system. I have just been putting the car back together, new suspension amongst other items and when I was dismantling, I found that the two sensors on the front and rear nearside that are linked to the coffin arms had broken arms, plastic brackets and the mounting on the sensors were also broken. I understand that this system, when working is excellent as it takes into consideration the attitude of the car and points the headlights in the right direction all the time. Question: if I leave these sensors disconnected, (remove them completely) will the headlights stay in a fixed attitude like normal headlights? Will there be any errors that come up on the dash?

Reason I have asked is as usual, these parts cost an absolute fortune for what they are!

One link broke on mine, you don't get any errors.  Don't know if it gone through an MOT broken, but my only thought would be that it could fail on dip beam pattern, but really it should fail 'safe'.  The link is about £40 from Porsche and the clip for the coffin arm about £3.50, the modules however may be salvage is a better route, or some glue to fix cracked plastic mounts, genuine are about £140 each, after market from D911 about £88 and the mount for the sensor is about £13 for Porsche.

Edited by ½cwt

54 minutes ago, phazed said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272646302833