Looking for a manual 981.

paulguitar

On 2/4/2024 at 8:46 PM, Paul P said:

Here's my take.

PDK is auto clutch, more than automatic "gears"

Had / have PDK car ( this is my 2nd 987.2) - aside from the PDK guessing what you would like, there are many ways to communicate with the gearbox - the paddles/buttons obviously, but a small blip will take 1 gear down, a larger blips will take 2, floor ( no kickdown) and back up, lowest possible gear at optimum revs ( you want to try 6th to 3rd at 75 mph) . Floor it, kickdown, lowest gear, hold to red line.

Then there's the brakes, brake hard for a turn and the box will shift down 2 gears not 1 - will hold the gears longer because it thinks (based on braking and lateral sensors) you are "on it"

Add sport or sports plus to the mix and you have "choices", and it will change gear quicker than you can - and it won't bite you.

Or - move the stick and have manual, as many gearchanges as you would like. Just no clutch pedal, for me, I am not that excited about pressing a clutch pedal, that isn't "enagaging"

No wrong answer, and its personal preference, but don't confuse "automatic in my daily merc" with "pdk" 

Drive a couple and play with the box, and decide........... there are no wrong answers, if I was looking for another car and the right car came up and it was PDK or if it was Manual - then fine.

In my opinion, PDK is at its worst, when Automatic is at its best, slow moving stop / start traffic - the PDK is lumpy, more lumpy than I would be in a manual and more lumpy than an automatic gearbox 

That is about the best summary of how engaging and well designed for spirited driving , a PDK can be. I’m a big fan of PDK in the 981. It offers the best of both worlds most of the time. (In the real world) 👌

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

I bought a car, collected it on Saturday and love it so far!

I've tried adding some photos but have not been able to. 

You need to host them somewhere like Imgur and then link to them. Storage is very limited on here.

Tell us more about your new car, manual?

Edited by Nobbie

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

You need to host them somewhere like Imgur and then link to them. Storage is very limited on here.

Tell us more about your new car, manual?

Yes, a manual S in aqua blue. I’ve linked to the ad from Pembury Cars who sold it to the guy I bought it from. He did 4000 miles in it in the two years he had it and it still looks as good as it does in those pictures. 

I’ve bought cruise control stalks on eBay and I’m looking to have that fitted and coded. Next job I think will be getting CarPlay fitted, probably to the existing screen. 

I’m loving it so far. It feels and looks really special. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulguitar said:

Yes, a manual S in aqua blue. I’ve linked to the ad from Pembury Cars who sold it to the guy I bought it from. He did 4000 miles in it in the two years he had it and it still looks as good as it does in those pictures. 

I’ve bought cruise control stalks on eBay and I’m looking to have that fitted and coded. Next job I think will be getting CarPlay fitted, probably to the existing screen. 

I’m loving it so far. It feels and looks really special. 

Very nice, not usually a fan of light interiors, but it works well with the blue. Perfect for all year roof down motoring with the PSE and heated seats/steering wheel. One thing to note on the CarPlay thing, see if the GPS display remains in the instrument binnacle as it can be tricky to see with the roof down on the main screen.

I’ve just picked up my new 981S, so know the feeling of excitement.

WNYqy6L.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paulguitar said:

I bought a car, collected it on Saturday and love it so far!

Excellent, and it looks really nice! Start a new thread in Running Reports :)