Looking for a manual 981.

paulguitar

Thanks all.

Okay, I nearly got swayed but I am going to stick to my guns on this. In the future a PDK, perhaps. This car though, is a manual.

Does anyone have one to sell, or know of a good one?

Comments on this are based on personal experiences I have owned I think to date 7 Boxster,s  one a Tiptronic , but the PDK has blown my mind away , every car I’ve owned wether working on it has just stayed in the garage ready for the next blast out , this one I will move cars off the drive , just to nip down to Tesco and back….. try one and then preach to the converted!

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Here's my take.

PDK is auto clutch, more than automatic "gears"

Had / have PDK car ( this is my 2nd 987.2) - aside from the PDK guessing what you would like, there are many ways to communicate with the gearbox - the paddles/buttons obviously, but a small blip will take 1 gear down, a larger blips will take 2, floor ( no kickdown) and back up, lowest possible gear at optimum revs ( you want to try 6th to 3rd at 75 mph) . Floor it, kickdown, lowest gear, hold to red line.

Then there's the brakes, brake hard for a turn and the box will shift down 2 gears not 1 - will hold the gears longer because it thinks (based on braking and lateral sensors) you are "on it"

Add sport or sports plus to the mix and you have "choices", and it will change gear quicker than you can - and it won't bite you.

Or - move the stick and have manual, as many gearchanges as you would like. Just no clutch pedal, for me, I am not that excited about pressing a clutch pedal, that isn't "enagaging"

No wrong answer, and its personal preference, but don't confuse "automatic in my daily merc" with "pdk" 

Drive a couple and play with the box, and decide........... there are no wrong answers, if I was looking for another car and the right car came up and it was PDK or if it was Manual - then fine.

In my opinion, PDK is at its worst, when Automatic is at its best, slow moving stop / start traffic - the PDK is lumpy, more lumpy than I would be in a manual and more lumpy than an automatic gearbox 

That’s the thing drive it like a wuss it recognises your driving style….. just saying!

Might consider selling mine in the next month, 2.7 Manual, 53K Miles.

Not because I don't like it, just might be the time for something different. 

PM me if your interested but no worries if not. 

1 hour ago, toby_b said:

Might consider selling mine in the next month, 2.7 Manual, 53K Miles.

Not because I don't like it, just might be the time for something different. 

PM me if your interested but no worries if not. 

Thank you, Toby, I have PMd you. 

1 hour ago, paulguitar said:

Just to update it is a 981 manual Boxster that am in the market for. 

You should try out a Cayman as well, just so you can see how much better it is compared to a Boxster.... I am pushing my luck there, I know, but it's sort of expected now 😄

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

You should try out a Cayman as well, just so you can see how much better it is compared to a Boxster.... I am pushing my luck there, I know, but it's sort of expected now 😄

A silly suggestion, the retractible roof doesn't work on any of the Cayman variants.

3 hours ago, toby_b said:

Sorry I should of said mine was a Cayman 😁

Good man, so you will be able to confirm that the Cayman is superior to the Boxster then...? (lights the touch paper, and stands well back 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Good man, so you will be able to confirm that the Cayman is superior to the Boxster then...? (lights the touch paper, and stands well back 😂)

I love Caymans too, and think they possibly look even better. Certainly, I think the 987 generation Caymans look better than the Boxsters. But I think being able to drive with the roof down adds to the whole 'event' angle of driving this kind of car, which, let's face it, is something of an extravagant self-indulgence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

@Davey P only problem is, you are driving the entry level Porsche as the Boxster costs more. 😉

Not a problem for me matey, I still find it hard to believe that is actually my car, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, paulguitar said:

I love Caymans too, and think they possibly look even better. Certainly, I think the 987 generation Caymans look better than the Boxsters. But I think being able to drive with the roof down adds to the whole 'event' angle of driving this kind of car, which, let's face it, is something of an extravagant self-indulgence. 

I think that the lines of the Cayman make it the best looking Porsche.

I still prefer the Boxster, especially the 981, for its complete sense of occasion and being the 2nd best looker of the entire marque, they definitely got the proportions and lines right in the 981.

18 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

@Davey P only problem is, you are driving the entry level Porsche as the Boxster costs more. 😉

How else do you think he handles the budget to retain the household staff?  These things require compromises somewhere.  Those of us not burdened by such considerations drive Boxsters and the cost be damned!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Paul P said:

that is a cracking car mate - no sarcasm - a very very pretty Porsche

Cheers fella, I really appreciate that (BAN HIM!!!) ☺️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davey P said:

Cheers fella, I really appreciate that (BAN HIM!!!) ☺️

Anyone who thinks the Boxster looks better than the Cayman is kidding themselves on. Until the roof is down of course.

• Haha 2

Over the years here there are MANY "diehard" manual fans who have been converted to PDK. Not just one or two.  I've never driven one but I've seen on here they are a total game changer in terms of enjoyment. People can't believe they are that good, but apparently they really are.

I believe there aren't so many manuals on the market as most new buyers chose PDK. (I think Porsche sales staff were pushing them TBH). See how it affects your choice of what is available; colour, mileage, price etc.

Paul, whichever you get, you'll enjoy it :) 

#savethemanuals

It's a sweet shift in the 981, made even better if you put in a Porsche short shifter (easy DIY job). 

You can beat nailing a perfect heal and toe shift! 

If you get one with sports crono, it will rev match for you in Sports Plus, which, although it feels like cheating, is pretty special!