Looking for a manual 981.

paulguitar

Evening everyone.

In a few weeks, I will be in the market for a manual 981. I'm hoping to line up a few cars to view over the coming weeks. 

Is anyone selling here? Budget low 20s but might creep up a bit for the right car.

Thanks all.

I have recently bought a 981 and I would have been manual all the way, however having sampled a PDK my thought process has totally changed and I’m glad I’ve gone down the slush box route. Just putting this up so as not to narrow your options 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Refers to the fluids in play in an autobox

I’ve had a 6 speed manual and x2 PDK cars. Loved them all. 

Our 3.5 V6 auto Viano has a 'slush' box, believe me, I know what one is. 🤨

My point is that the PDK is anything but. 😁

Edited by cozzykim

1 minute ago, cozzykim said:

Our 3.5 V6 auto Viano has a 'slush' box, believe me, I know what one is. 🤨

My point is that the PDK is anything but. 😁

Fair enough and yes indeed PDK is the hounds pounds.

23 hours ago, paulguitar said:

In a few weeks, I will be in the market for a manual 981.

Good man, you know it makes sense 👍 I've never understood why anyone would opt for the PDK option on a sports car (or any car, for that matter). The 6-speed manual 'box on a 981 is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned, and just adds to the whole driving experience IMHO. When I was looking at buying mine I only looked at manual cars, and if I remember correctly the split was around 50/50, which really surprised me.

Each to his own, obviously, but in this case I am definitely right 😂

• Like 1

Also what I’ve learnt already the roads that we tend to hoon down there is a skill to maximise to get the best out of the PDK it’s not a case of just leaving in auto using the paddle shifts etc it’s a whole new learning curve , down shifting with the paddles it’s still extremely engaging 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Also what I’ve learnt already the roads that we tend to hoon down there is a skill to maximise to get the best out of the PDK it’s not a case of just leaving in auto using the paddle shifts etc it’s a whole new learning curve , down shifting with the paddles it’s still extremely engaging 

Sounds rubbish to me 😂

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Good man, you know it makes sense 👍 I've never understood why anyone would opt for the PDK option on a sports car (or any car, for that matter). The 6-speed manual 'box on a 981 is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned, and just adds to the whole driving experience IMHO. When I was looking at buying mine I only looked at manual cars, and if I remember correctly the split was around 50/50, which really surprised me.

Each to his own, obviously, but in this case I am definitely right 😂

Come on @Davey P - you chose the wrong roof, so anything you say after that is just noise........

🤪

• Haha 1

Thanks for the contributions, everyone.

I think I will stick with my decision to make it a manual on this occasion. Perhaps there will be a PDK in the future if my knee starts to seize up or something along those lines. but for now, I think a great manual 'box is something I still enjoy and the car is mainly for fun.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Thanks for the contributions, everyone.

I think I will stick with my decision to make it a manual on this occasion. Perhaps there will be a PDK in the future if my knee starts to seize up or something along those lines. but for now, I think a great manual 'box is something I still enjoy and the car is mainly for fun.

Watch out for the over revs then. 🤨😁

I had a manual 987.2, but I prefer the PDK in the 981S

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Watch out for the over revs then. 🤨😁

I had a manual 987.2, but I prefer the PDK in the 981S

Are the PDK cars really as satisfying to drive as manuals? All of my instincts go against this...

8 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Are the PDK cars really as satisfying to drive as manuals? All of my instincts go against this...

You really have to drive one and make up your own mind. I thought I’d stay with a manual but the computer changes gears much faster than I could. It’s not perfect and it’s not for everyone.

As above if going for a manual then if possible get a rev range report. 

Edited by iborguk

7 minutes ago, iborguk said:

You really have to drive one and make up your own mind. I thought I’d stay with a manual but the computer changes gears much faster than I could. It’s not perfect and it’s not for everyone.

As above if going for a manual then if possible get a rev range report. 

I'm not really fussed about how fast the gearchanges are. I think what it is for me is that I just enjoy operating a good manual 'box. I won't be taking the car on a circuit and I don't drive at 10/10ths on the road.

If I can I will have a go in a PDK car. 

8 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Here's my take.

PDK is auto clutch, more than automatic "gears"

Had / have PDK car ( this is my 2nd 987.2) - aside from the PDK guessing what you would like, there are many ways to communicate with the gearbox - the paddles/buttons obviously, but a small blip will take 1 gear down, a larger blips will take 2, floor ( no kickdown) and back up, lowest possible gear at optimum revs ( you want to try 6th to 3rd at 75 mph) . Floor it, kickdown, lowest gear, hold to red line.

Then there's the brakes, brake hard for a turn and the box will shift down 2 gears not 1 - will hold the gears longer because it thinks (based on braking and lateral sensors) you are "on it"

Add sport or sports plus to the mix and you have "choices", and it will change gear quicker than you can - and it won't bite you.

Or - move the stick and have manual, as many gearchanges as you would like. Just no clutch pedal, for me, I am not that excited about pressing a clutch pedal, that isn't "enagaging"

No wrong answer, and its personal preference, but don't confuse "automatic in my daily merc" with "pdk" 

Drive a couple and play with the box, and decide........... there are no wrong answers, if I was looking for another car and the right car came up and it was PDK or if it was Manual - then fine.

In my opinion, PDK is at its worst, when Automatic is at its best, slow moving stop / start traffic - the PDK is lumpy, more lumpy than I would be in a manual and more lumpy than an automatic gearbox 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

I'm not really fussed about how fast the gearchanges are. I think what it is for me is that I just enjoy operating a good manual 'box. I won't be taking the car on a circuit and I don't drive at 10/10ths on the road.

I am referring to it changing to the appropriate gear when required. Again doesn’t always get it right but does a better job than me.

No wrong answers here in Manual vs PDK in my opinion. Do what works for you.

19 minutes ago, Paul P said:

In my opinion, PDK is at its worst, when Automatic is at its best, slow moving stop / start traffic - the PDK is lumpy, more lumpy than I would be in a manual and more lumpy than an automatic gearbox 

That’s almost my opposite experience in mine, it makes slow moving traffic easier. Maybe it’s my driving Ms Daisy style or something in later software.

Edited by iborguk

10 minutes ago, paulguitar said:

Its personal choice absolutely - I guess what people are saying is don't dismiss it because of what you *think* it will be like, dismiss it because you didn't like it - and the advice given should help figure out what makes PDK different - so when if you try, push it and see.

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

That’s almost my opposite experience in mine, it makes slow moving traffic easier. Maybe it’s my driving Ms Daisy style or something in later software.

Yup - doesn't seem to bother others, I don't like the fact that before I have moved 3 car lengths at 10 mph that it's in 2nd - and then it gets confused between do you need 1st or 3rd. Maybe my driving st

Traffic moves, press the throttle a bit, 1st, brake, go 2nd, go, 1st,3rd? - clunk.... in the daily I would have maybe been thinking about 2nd .... perhaps thats where the later software makes it better ( 718 I drove felt better) But thats > 1% of my use case - so it doesnt matter. 

I would have either - I find no difference in my level engagement - except, when the scenery is moving past at a blur - I can, if I choose, let the car worry about the gears, or I can "drop it down 2 cogs and give it a handfull"

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

That from a man that’s never taken his car over 56 mph ….just saying!

Only when Mrs P is in the passenger seat - She sh*ts herself if I go over 3000 revs... 😄

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Come on @Davey P - you chose the wrong roof, so anything you say after that is just noise........ 🤪

As always, I walked straight into that one, ha ha! 😂

1 hour ago, paulguitar said:

There you go, that is the correct answer, excellent decision 👍

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Come on @Davey P - you chose the wrong roof, so anything you say after that is just noise........

🤪

Technically as he chose the wrong roof, everything is silence....

Horses for courses this one.  I have a VAG DSG box with paddles int eh daily and a manual 986.  Now the PDK is another level from the DSG 'box but still I prefer the 6 speed manual when pushing on in the 986.  If I were to drive a 987.2 or 981 I might like a PDK, but I think I'd love a manual even if it is harder or shows up your own changes.  I nearly went for a PDK a few weeks ago, but I really think I'd need to drive one for a quite a lot of miles cross country and no more than one occasion to be fully onboard that it gives me that satisfaction of a manual shift and until you can get on the PDK learning curve you might think you've bought the wrong car when you actually wanted the personal satisfaction (or challenge) of a manual.

Intriguingly when I did some research the available manual 987.2S seem to be £1k to £2k more than similar PDK ones.  Finally when a PDK 'box goes wrong I suspect you'd prefer to have the manual 'box repair bill.

• Like 1