CEL - driveable?

Menoporsche

I know I need a code reader. Ironically it's (probably) in the back of the other car which is away having its coolant system sorted...

Got the car back a couple of weeks ago from having a new clutch etc, and drove it around a bit before this appeared. No idea if they are related.  In my MY08, if I get a CEL and the message "Check Engine Visit Workshop", am I right that the car is still driveable? Because if not it would say something more urgent like "Do not drive"?

All stabs in the dark welcome...

If it’s not a flashing CEL then it’s ok to drive but would get it looked at sooner than later. Can you drop by a garage with which has the appropriate code reader ?

If it’s driving ok I’ll bet on something exhaust related but that’s just that , a guess…

Edited by iborguk

Check the fluids (oil and water) and assuming its not overheating or suffering any other obvious issues then should be fine until you can get it checked - think you have said it's not so easy as amazon next day where you are - but a 20 quid code reader would tell you enough to inform the next steps

It's not flashing :)  I haven't had a chance to/ dared to drive it since that message appeared.

The agreement is my mechanic finishes the Toyota, brings it to me and drives off in the Boxster. His workshop is about half an hour away, so it sounds like it shouldn't blow up on the way there.  Just that the Toyota is taking more days than expected (solve one coolant leak, system builds pressure then exposes another leak! - then need to wait for parts each time) and it's frustrating that we have no car. It was supposed to come Friday, then Monday, then today but he messaged me just after midnight last night to say he's found another one :(. It's the usual hindsight, if I'd known of the delays I would have already ordered a code reader. 

OK sod it, just ordered the iCarsoft, arrives Friday :) 

• Like 1

Was that the N rated iCarsoft you ordered, of not the car will explode when you connect it.  🤣

Edited by ½cwt
  • Haha 1

icarsoft arrived a day earlier than predicted 👍

"P0431,  Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold, Bank 2."

Sounds to me like "you have a slight leak in the exhaust, ok to drive until you can get it fixed".

30 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

icarsoft arrived a day earlier than predicted 👍

Sounds to me like "you have a slight leak in the exhaust, ok to drive until you can get it fixed".

Could be...

P0431

Catalytic conversion

NOTE

The catalytic converter monitor compares the amplitude of the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter with the amplitude of a computed limit catalytic

converter during defined air gulping and enrichment phases. The amplitudes allow conclusions to be drawn about the ability of the catalytic converter to

store oxygen.

Diagnostic conditions

Engine start temperature > -15°C (5 °F)

Catalytic converter temperature 385 .... 635°C (725-1175 °F)

Loading of activated charcoal filter < 8

Oxygen sensing in front of catalytic converter active

Oxygen sensors behind catalytic converter ready for operation

50 seconds (cumulative) within following load/rpm range

Engine speed 1280 .... 2880 rpm

Engine load (relative filling) 22 .... 41%

No fault oxygen sensors, tank vent, secondary-air pump relay, secondary-air valve relay, throttle adjusting unit, mass air flow sensor, no misfire.

The diagnostic conditions can also be established using the PIWIS Tester via the short test "Catalytic conversion". It is not necessary to have the

vehicle in motion for this.

Possible fault causes

Oxygen sensors in front of and behind catalytic converter swapped (position in exhaust assembly)

Valve lift error

Aged oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter

Catalytic converter faulty (pre-catalytic conversion rate too low)

If an aged oxygen sensor (oxygen sensor signal behind catalytic converter, dynamism) is detected together with this fault: remedy the fault "Oxygen sensor signal behind catalytic converter,dynamism" first, then check if this fault - catalytic conversion - has been entered again.

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

Are your exhaust bolts/studs very rusty?  Could be the start of a leaking system which would skew the lambda readings throwing up a catalysing out of range fault.  Or a dying lambda sensor.  Check the live data with the iCarsoft and if one reading is constant or completely out of range that could indicate a duff lambda. 

Definitely 'override and reset' is the first step and investigate in more depth if it returns.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 3:08 PM, Menoporsche said:

Cleared it then, it stayed away for a month, back again today. 
Will check when indie is free, to get it looked at.