987 seats in a 986?

phazed

I would eventually like to fit a pair of lightweight track focused seats to my 986. Until then, if a pair of wingback seats turn up at a sensible price, I may go for them.

Question. Apparently, the 987 seats sit lower?

Will the 986 multi pin plug fit the 987 seats?

37 minutes ago, phazed said:

I would eventually like to fit a pair of lightweight track focused seats to my 986. Until then, if a pair of wingback seats turn up at a sensible price, I may go for them.

Question. Apparently, the 987 seats sit lower?

Will the 986 multi pin plug fit the 987 seats?

Interesting question. I have also considered the 987 seats but not really investigated the whole thing properly as my seats are okay comfort and looks-wise, but an extra bit of space would be great. I don't think they sit any lower, but apparently you can push them a bit further back because the seatbacks are a little thinner, thereby giving some more legroom.

And yes, the wingback sports seats would be a great upgrade.

I could indeed, Graham. Especially as the 987 is still under the cover!

With this weather, that is exactly where it is going to stay.

A pair of used 987 seats on eBay seems to be a minimum of 1500 pounds! Add that to the immobilizer and associated costs. It’s starting to get a bit silly!

2 minutes ago, phazed said:

I could indeed, Graham. Especially as the 987 is still under the cover!

With this weather, that is exactly where it is going to stay.

A pair of used 987 seats on eBay seems to be a minimum of 1500 pounds! Add that to the immobilizer and associated costs. It’s starting to get a bit silly!

What is the story re the immobiliser now ? How's it getting fixed and how much ? 

Short story. if your immobilizer is beyond repair and you want a remanufactured one, coded to your ECU and car +2 new keys and the original test and report , (which was very thorough) it will be in the region of £1,500  with a warranty.

this is where if you buy a cheap car with a water damaged immobilizer and the car has other problems as well, the costs soon mount up to make it an uneconomical repair…

My experience last year of buying a low mileage 987 with a water, damaged ECU under the passenger seat, gave me a false indication of the costs of a repair on a 986.

The new ECU from a Porsche dealership cost me less than 300 pounds and an independent Porsche garage, very local to me, coded it in for 50 pounds! That was a real result.

Coincidentally, both that car and my 986 had been regularly maintained by an independent garage and both had never cleared the drains. Even though past invoices actually stated clearing drains. If you had seen the huge amount of leaf debris and the giant fungating mushroom in the 986 you would’ve been amazed. Sadly, those weren’t the only discrepancies and lots of very basic maintenance were never carried out even though both previous owners had in good faith employed them and paid them in some cases ridiculous amounts to keep their car on the road. 
I would have thought the owners would keep tabs on what was actually done but sadly these pair of plums knew absolutely nothing about their cars apart from where the gear stick was! I digress!

The seats in a 986 sit considerably higher, especially the full electric ones. My mate who owns a lotus elise likened them to sofas.

I definitely wanted lower 987 seats, but the cost of 987 seats and the hassle of fitting, well... I just bought the whole car instead, got the seats included!

Now the seats are too low lol... have actually raised them up a tad from fully slammed.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, brillomaster said:

The seats in a 986 sit considerably higher, especially the full electric ones. My mate who owns a lotus elise likened them to sofas.

I definitely wanted lower 987 seats, but the cost of 987 seats and the hassle of fitting, well... I just bought the whole car instead, got the seats included!

Now the seats are too low lol... have actually raised them up a tad from fully slammed.

Surely the 987 seats are adjustable in height? Mine are.

22 minutes ago, Harri986 said:

The connections are not cross compatible.You need both sides of the 987 seat connections with enough wire to connect to the existing loom once cut off

Interesting to know, I assume if you have the correct plug/socket connection that the wiring can be made to correctly operate functions?

2 hours ago, Harri986 said:

The connections are not cross compatible.You need both sides of the 987 seat connections with enough wire to connect to the existing loom once cut off

Or you could cut the plug off from the 987 seats wire them to the plug of the 986 seats.  The wiring is pretty simple for the electric recline and heated elements, not sure about the full electric ones.

Edited by Sanky

19 hours ago, phazed said:

My experience last year of buying a low mileage 987 with a water, damaged ECU under the passenger seat, gave me a false indication of the costs of a repair on a 986.

Because the black boxes are different. In a 986 it's the alarm control unit which seems to control starting; in a 987 it's the rear control unit which just controls rear spoiler and boot opening, broadly speaking. The story is the 986 caused enough problems that they moved the ACU away, but in the 987 some bright spark said "oh look, free space" and put other electrics there. They may still flood but to a lower cost.

Seat belt warning light is part of that loom in the 986 (and 987 I guess).  You need to do something to ensure the warning light goes off or 'FAIL' at MOT time.

Fitted the driver seat just now. Electric recline works. The little lever on the side, I assume does the up and down but doesn’t really do anything at the moment. At 6‘2“ tall my head is about 1.5 inches from the underside of the roof lining. You definitely sit higher than in a 987 and I can feel the steering wheel on my legs even with the steering wheel pulled out to maximum. Don’t think I will stick with these as they are the original, I believe touring seats. No lateral support, not enough headroom with a helmet, steering wheel on my legs and the fact that they weigh 28 kg each! 

Apart from that, they are perfect!

Decided to leave this seat in for now just to see how the car works and performs before getting further.

You need to be sitting on it and pull the horizontal lever (that you said didn't do much) up for the seat to go down.  If the seat is not loaded it springs up to max height when you pull that lever up.

The key you have said there is with a helmet.  I don't believe at 6' 2" you will get a driving position that works in a 986 with 986 standard or wing back sports seats and the roof up at any rate....

Edited by ½cwt

This is what I am thinking. As much as I would like a pair of 987 seats from the seating position and the aesthetics, they are still heavy, (986 touring seats are 28 kg each) and very, very expensive.

The last pair of Elise seats I bought were quite cheap, (only weighed 1.5 kg each) but now they are ridiculous. Why is it that everything has gone skyhigh pricewise apart from potatoes? 🤫

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Why is it that everything has gone skyhigh pricewise apart from potatoes? 🤫

I took our water softener out of service when it went wrong as the replacement one a family plumber got for us would have needed a bit of reorganising in the garage. We have just received a special offer on bags of salt at £18! We used to pay £6!

I have a set of 987 seats (not heated) on the way. I plan to tackle the install next weekend (I'm away this weekend) and will do some reading up over the next week to ensure I don't fry anything in the car...

Expect lots of stupid questions from me over the next week or two.

59 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I have a set of 987 seats (not heated) on the way. I plan to tackle the install next weekend (I'm away this weekend) and will do some reading up over the next week to ensure I don't fry anything in the car...

Expect lots of stupid questions from me over the next week or two.

First stupid question which I can't find an answer for anywhere. My new seats include the seatbelt fittings. Can I just use them as is, or do I need to swop them out with the 986 seatbelt fittings? I'm not sure how the wiring for the seatbelt fittings differ, or if they differ at all, between the two generations. 

And like I said, I don't want to fry the electrics..

On 2/16/2024 at 10:18 AM, DaveyP said:

I've got 987 seats in my 986. 

Used the car's own seatbelt fittings.

For what it's worth, I'm 6ft4 and fit much more comfortably in the 987 seats. 

Awesome. I can't wait. They should be arriving today or tomorrow and I plan to fit them on the weekend.