Throttle cut out?

Bob Lemay

Hello Everyone,

I've been noticing some complete throttle shutdown, maybe a second or two, then it's restored. I keep thinking my foot is coming off the petal, but tonight, I confirmed by looking down at the accelerator as it was happening. Definite cutout. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks in advance Bob,  2005 Boxster S 987.1

Heard of brake light switch causing this a few times.   Not definitive of course but pretty cheap 1st attempt I would say.  

there’s a chance that a decent code reader with live values would “catch” the situation - or there may be some “implausible” conditions logged so it’s worth a quick check if you have access to a reader but I don’t have high hopes.  

10 hours ago, BoXa Steve said:

Hi Bob.

This happened to my 987.1 3.2 S and the cause was a faulty brake pedal switch which at the time seemed hard to believe as you wouldn't think they are connected !!

They are connects in most electronic throttle cars to prevent the driver from applying power whist also braking.

Ok, well just arrived home and squeezed down there at the switches, a feat in and of itself, and inspected the switches. Nothing looking out of the ordinary, but you can't see a faulty switch. I guess the next order of business would be to order a new brake switch, not a very expensive purchase. I'll take it for another nightly drive tonight and see what happens.

20 hours ago, Bob Lemay said:

Hello Everyone,

I've been noticing some complete throttle shutdown, maybe a second or two, then it's restored. I keep thinking my foot is coming off the petal, but tonight, I confirmed by looking down at the accelerator as it was happening. Definite cutout. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks in advance Bob,  2005 Boxster S 987.1

Yes, still checking for possibilities. 

My throttle box was replaced but didn't make any difference. The brake switch was replaced and all connectors on the ECU were cleaned. I have managed to drive the car X2 and had no issues.

I’ve had the same problem 2005 3.2s triptronic intermittent loss of throttle changed the brake switch solved my problem it’s a cheap go at fixing the problem 

I had no brake light problems just note the way you twist the switch to remove to refit switch it’s a bit awkward 😬 

Brake light switch - betcha. The ECU won't let you accelerate and brake at the same time as you'll know if you've ever tried to left foot brake. As the switch fails it sends the wrong signal to the ecu which cuts the throttle. If you back off and get straight back on it the power comes back.

Easy fix.

Well, It was a $20 fix! One brake light switch, and a can of electronics cleaner..not one incident in tonight's 2 hr. ride. A bit of dielectric grease on the switch tabs, and a spray of cleaner on the ECU connectors! Hardest part is getting to the switch, I ended up taking the seat out for easier access.

Thanks so much for the info!!

Bob

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bob Lemay said:

Well, It was a $20 fix! One brake light switch, and a can of electronics cleaner..not one incident in tonight's 2 hr. ride. A bit of dielectric grease on the switch tabs, and a spray of cleaner on the ECU connectors! Hardest part is getting to the switch, I ended up taking the seat out for easier access.

Thanks so much for the info!!

Bob

Here's a handy tip,,,,

WD40 is excellent at dissolving oxidisation on contacts if you don't have access to some solvent based Switch Cleaner of course.

Very Good! Thanks for all the tips, I would have never of guessed that the brake light switch would have been the culprit here, my mind's diagnosis went right to what ever kind of servo, or mechanism opens and closes the throttle body's plate. Glad I didn't have to mess with that. The old switch that I removed was completely shot, the plunger barely able to return to open position. Brake lights still worked, but the cut out was just getting worse and worse.

Thanks again,

Bob 

14 hours ago, Bob Lemay said:

Very Good! Thanks for all the tips, I would have never of guessed that the brake light switch would have been the culprit here, my mind's diagnosis went right to what ever kind of servo, or mechanism opens and closes the throttle body's plate. Glad I didn't have to mess with that. The old switch that I removed was completely shot, the plunger barely able to return to open position. Brake lights still worked, but the cut out was just getting worse and worse.

Thanks again,

Bob 

That's the thing - seems to cause the throttle issue was before it ever stops the brake lights working. Which I suppose is a good thing in a way. Porsche's coded message to tell you there's a problem before some idiot rear ends you. 🙄