Tips for a soon-to-be owner

Simebaby

Hi All

I'm picking up my Boxster on Friday - nothing out of the ordinary when compared to a lot of the cars on here (standard 2015 2.7 with PDK, wimpy exhaust, nav and bluetooth), but I can't wait. I've regressed to the state of a 5 year old.

Any tips for a complete newbie, to make sure I don't land it in a ditch / destroy the engine / make the gearbox explode?

I've seen I can get the 111 point check done after I've had it 90 days, then get a Porsche warranty - anyone done that? I do like the peace of mind it would give over something going wrong with the PDK.

Ta

Si

Welcome. 
Are you used to driving mid-engined? They can catch people out on wet bends and roundabouts. They don’t drift but simply spin (depending on tyres). 
Otherwise, check all drain holes are clear of old leaves etc. 981 not as bad as it’s older relatives but still a good habit. 

Are you handy with spanners and planning to do any maintenance jobs yourself and have you done much stuff like this yourself to other cars you've owned?

I'd suggest anyone buying a car should always get the geo checked. Obviously you need to choose somewhere competent to do this.

Warranty is a complicated subject.

The car has to be completely Porsche or Porsche approved parts. Even down to the battery and tyres. So the 111 check will flag anything outside that which will need replacing before they'll allow the warranty.

Then you'll have to stick to that to keep the warranty valid. Generally all services need to be done by Porsche themselves but I believe you can use third parties if definitely using Porsche or Porsche approved parts. If not you can invalidate the warranty. 

A 2015 car should mostly be all original parts. Mine needed some suspension parts at 6 years old and brake discs front at 40000 miles. Brake pads before obviously but not sure a 111 point check would go that far.

Tyres should have been changed at some point, they are date stamped on the side. I'd check the date stamps on all 4. At a minimum you want tyres not older than, up to you here, definitely not from 2015. Next you ideally don't want different dates side to side on the same axle but this is going down the OCD road a bit. As per above about warranty you need to check the tyres are N rated otherwise they will fail the 111 point check. The early Pirelli N0 tyres were really really bad. If you have these change them immediately. 

So your consideration here about warranty being worth it needs to take in the extra expense of replacing anything not approved at the start and then sticking to this during. It adds a lot to the overall cost compared to using pattern parts. A good example is brakes. I recently had an exchange with a stranger on the Internet who paid Porsche 1100 to to replace rear only discs and pads on a Panamera. You can decide if these would be comparable to say a set of fronts for your 981. How does that sound? I bought discs and pads myself for around 250 and charged myself. Again not Porsche parts so would invalidate a warranty. 

So are you the type of person who would only want Porsche parts and Porsche garages to work on your car?

Then you have to consider the likelihood of anything actually breaking and needing to be replaced. I see a lot of comments from people who have had made claims or had parts replaced.

PDK seems to be quite solid and not many failures but there have been a couple. No one will fix these boxes [independents] as Porsche deliberately sell no parts for them to create this situation where you have to replace the whole box if you get any problem. Bad form by Porsche. This is a risk but it's quite low. Some places have started opening up these boxes to try to fix common faults so in the future repairs may become available but for now it's best to assume otherwise. 

Some owners get a complete new sports exhaust because one of the valves got stuck open. I have no warranty and one of my valves is stuck open. I don't care because I always drive mine with valves open. That would be an expensive replacement and nice if included by warranty but not really necessary. 

PADM [fancy engine mounts] can fail on newer cars. Mine have been fine and are original - 2012 car - some believe the earlier mounts ate stronger. If your car has sports chrono it should have PADM. Outside warranty you can just ignore the warnings or replace with simpler standard mounts. No upgraded or revised part for this yet. Some owners of newer cars have changed these more than once under warranty. 

Other known faults 

Brake pedal bush - the early bush started to stick when it got hot. So on a hot day the brake pedal would stay down when you braked. No recall from Porsche but there is an upgraded or revised part. So you either paid for the replacement yourself, like I did, or claimed under warranty if you had it.

Interior fan or demister - these can stick and refuse to work, so no air into the car. Obviously if the windscreen is misting up you can't see where you're going. Again no recall from Porsche but for this no upgraded or revised part. You can free this up yourself if it happens to You.

• Like 2

Welcome 👍

Tips ? Never drive it in the wet or the winter (I'm kidding, I drive mine all year round).

Porsche Extended warranty in the UK is unto 125k miles/15 years, requires Porsche to have serviced it last and the 111pt onboarding process you mention if it doesn't already have their warranty on it. I've been down this road myself, I rationalise the £60ish a month on-going warranty spend as peace of mind and I've had my monies worth out of it across three Boxster ownerships. 

More detail on the warranty https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/approvedwarranty/

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Never drive it in the wet or the winter (I'm kidding, I drive mine all year round).

Aquaplane is a risk with these

One of the guys on here who is a real nice friendly good looking chap who everyone really really likes did aquaplane and he has a thread all about it here if you're interested 

20181209-140350.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Aquaplane is a risk with these

One of the guys on here who is a real nice friendly good looking chap who everyone really really likes did aquaplane and he has a thread all about it here if you're interested 

20181209-140350.jpg

Manchester Gandalf? 

Hi Si,

Welcome to Boxster ownership. I picked my 2013 Boxster S at the end of December and although I have not used it much due to the cr*p weather, I have loved every journey in it. I bought mine from a Porsche dealership as I wanted the peace of mind that a warranty brings.

As others have said, be careful with the handling. Most of my driving is in a performance SUV with four wheel drive and which sticks to the road in all weathers. One of my first outings in the Boxster, I lost the rear end on a roundabout in cold but dry conditions. Luckily, no damage but it did shake me up. I checked the tyres and the two rears, despite plenty of tread, were old and replaced free of charge by the supplying dealership. The car handles better with new rubber and on the odd occasion it has been dry, the car sticks to the road and handles brilliantly. 

One thing that does surprise me is the long length of time that it takes to warm up. As the car has both a water and oil temperature gauge, you will notice that despite the water getting up to temperature quite quickly, the oil seems to take a long time to get to operating temperature. Being a little OCD, I don't like to push the car until the oil is up to temperature. This can take 15 minutes.

I'm sure you will enjoy the car.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Welcome. 
Are you used to driving mid-engined? They can catch people out on wet bends and roundabouts. They don’t drift but simply spin (depending on tyres). 
Otherwise, check all drain holes are clear of old leaves etc. 981 not as bad as it’s older relatives but still a good habit. 

This ^^^

It's only caught me out twice, so far, (once in each 987/981) but it's a wake up call when it does.

Having said that, I caught it with no further drama both times, by just lifting off the throttle.

(Both cars on Pirellis)

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Tyres should have been changed at some point, they are date stamped on the side. I'd check the date stamps on all 4. At a minimum you want tyres not older than, up to you here, definitely not from 2015. Next you ideally don't want different dates side to side on the same axle but this is going down the OCD road a bit. As per above about warranty you need to check the tyres are N rated otherwise they will fail the 111 point check. The early Pirelli N0 tyres were really really bad. If you have these change them immediately. 

4 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

(Both cars on Pirellis)

Agreed, check the brand and date of tyres. We love Michelin (most expensive), Goodyear, possibly Continental. Very contrasting reviews on Bridgestones, and little love for Pirelli. Then there are others which may have great grip but wear quickly. 

My point is not that you are driving a deathtrap, they are quite incredible and capable machines, but to be aware of the characteristics generally, and of your car/tyres in particular, before hooning around. I'm convinced more Boxsters have died due to this than to IMS failure, despite what you hear about the latter and not about the former. Find an appropriate place with safe run-off and play around if you can.

despite all of the doom mongers above 😜 - its a 10 year old sports car and you've bought it just at the right time of the year to get the roof down and enjoy it.

A lot of the mechanical scare stories you see on the internet are from the older cars, the 981 had a lot of those resolved, yes you'll still need to keep on top of maintenance and some of the jobs will be a bit expensive due to the Porsche tax, but this forum is a goldmine of useful info and knowledgeable/helpful members and most problems will have been found and fixed in the past. People can recommend a decent indy local to you for any jobs you don't fancy doing yourself.

They are brilliant cars, don't drive like a tw@t and you'll be fine, the same as any other car. If you really want to get to grips with the limits of the performance, a day at the Porsche Experience Centre with the skid pan is well worth the money (and you get to drive some nice cars too).

Enjoy - and if you didn't know already - we like pics on this forum, so post up as soon as you get it.

The hardest part will be removing the grin from your face!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simebaby said:

Hi All

I'm picking up my Boxster on Friday - nothing out of the ordinary when compared to a lot of the cars on here (standard 2015 2.7 with PDK, wimpy exhaust, nav and bluetooth), but I can't wait. I've regressed to the state of a 5 year old.

You are in for a treat mate, the 981 is a fantastic car, both in looks and performance/handling. As others on here have mentioned, it would be a good idea to take it easy for your first few drives to get used to the characteristics. I've never had any dramas with mine (981 Cayman) but I've got quite a relaxed driving style anyway, so that's not surprising. I predict your feeling of being a 5 year old will last a lot longer than you think. I speak from personal experience there 😂

The maintenance intervals are recommended every 2 years, so running costs are not as expensive as you might think. I have mine serviced every year at an indy, just because I want to, and even then I don't think the cost is too bad. In fact, I doubt it's much more expensive than most other cars I owned.

With regards to extras and spec, if it makes you feel any better mine has got even less than yours, with no nav or bluetooth... I think mine can probably be classed as "poverty spec", but does that matter? Of course not, they are all brilliant, regardless of the toys. I think I've switched the radio on once, just to make sure it works, and it's never been used since. The only sound you need to hear is under your right foot...

Enjoy the car when you get it, and as others have said, post some pics when you get time 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Topbox said:

I  agree with @ATM on warranties, a very thorough perspective, and @Mattman42 on the broader picture of ownership. Welcome & enjoy. Take it to Europe on long touring holiday is my best advice.

Even more fun if you go with like minded friends.

Half the fun when we go to Le Mans are the convoys (even at legal speeds)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Patt said:

Even more fun if you go with like minded friends.

Half the fun when we go to Le Mans are the convoys (even at legal speeds)

I've never been. But I know some regulars who tell me it's gone hill over the last few years. New regs about what you can take into the camping and mainly what you can't. Is that true?

Camping - not done that since the 90's !!

We rent houses and have creature comforts such as cold beer and often a pool 😄

Cheers all! In particular ATM for the hugely detailed reply (I'd already read your rebuild thread in awe). Much as I'd love to aspire to something like this I'm mechanically inept so I'll be leaving any work to someone who at least looks vaguely qualified.

Will deffo post pics once I have it! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Simebaby said:

I've seen I can get the 111 point check done after I've had it 90 days, then get a Porsche warranty - anyone done that? I do like the peace of mind it would give over something going wrong with the PDK.

I’ve just done exactly that. 

8 year service and 3 year warranty was £3200 with 25% discount on the service. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davey P said:

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, that looks wonderful mate, well played that man! 👍

Say the word, we can make yours look like that :)

18 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Say the word, we can make yours look like that :)

Not interested mate, mine is perfect as it is... 😂

• Like 1

Awesome looking thing.  Congratulations.  Agate Grey is a joy in any 981.   Foldy mirrors too - nice!

One thing to look for is the drain holes getting clogged. Preventative maintenance way better than cure.  Lots of advice on here from @daz05 and others, and depending on of who services it, they may check them for you.  You'll get to know this chap on YT too who gives us all good advice.

The summary of drain holes is;  some design "choices" maybe questionable in that the roof mechanism has a way to direct rain through a set of drain holes and they can get clogged.  If that happens the water can gather under the passenger seat where some control electric live, and cause (expensive) problems.  Wet seat belts are a giveaway.  very sensible to have this checked out.  Hopefully not a prob for you

Edited by Withy
  • Like 2