Grabbing brakes?

brillomaster

Anyone had an MOT advisory for 'Service brake requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair (1.2.1 (c))'

A look up of the mot advisory code suggests i have '1.2. Service brake performance and efficiency, performance - A brake on any wheel grabbing severely'

from what i can see, is i have plenty of pad material left, and all brake lines and fluid was renewed recently. car also has plenty strong enough brakes, and brakes in a straight line.

about to take it to my local indy for a once over, but... not really sure what causes brakes to be grabbing on one wheel more than the others... anyone able to shed any light?

Sticky caliper - pistons not retracting properly.   ? 

Surely they could tell which wheel was grabbing or if it’s one axle or the other.  

possibly a pedal/master cylinder thing if it’s all round.  

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

well, garage havent found anything of note, so... and the code didn't even come up on the way over to the garage, so... think we're good for a send on monday!

Has Patt been cutting your brake pipes🤔

4 hours ago, Paul P said:

Sticky caliper - pistons not retracting properly.   ? 

Surely they could tell which wheel was grabbing or if it’s one axle or the other.  

possibly a pedal/master cylinder thing if it’s all round.  

I had a front Alloy Wheel on my old Range Rover that got dirtier quicker than the others. It bothered me for the last two years. It transpired that I had a sticky caliper on that wheel. Passed the last two MOT’s, drove and braked in a straight line. Telltale was worn pads on one side, hence the premature dustiness of that one wheel as the pistons were not retracting as they should.

Point is, you may not notice a sticky caliper until you strip it down. 

i can't see anything out the ordinary on any of pad wear, increased dust or one wheel getting hotter than the others, so... and as i say, brakes work fine at the moment, so not gonna worry about it at the moment!

2 hours ago, brillomaster said:

i can't see anything out the ordinary on any of pad wear, increased dust or one wheel getting hotter than the others, so... and as i say, brakes work fine at the moment, so not gonna worry about it at the moment!

Yep. Plenty of time to worry at the bottom of craners..... Actually I don't think I've visited that particular gravel trap. Been in the one at redgate. 🙄

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Could it be the handbrake contributing to this??

I thought the same as the OP talks about 'service brake' which I thought was another name for handbrake?

43 minutes ago, entdgc said:

I thought the same as the OP talks about 'service brake' which I thought was another name for handbrake?

I thought mot speak was emergency brake for handbrake and service brake means “brakes” but I may well be wrong on that.  

well, if the brakes were a little questionable before, they're shot to pieces now! 😅 new, upgraded rear pads ordered, will see if that fixes the light coming on (it probably will)

front pads are expensive track pads and still have one more trackday in them i reckon and that isnt till august, so will drop fresh fronts in after that.

• Like 1