ADMIRAL Multicar

EXY

Hi Guys,

Anyone got anything bad to say about Admiral Multicar?

Or indeed about Admiral in general.

Just had a nice conversation with a Canadian lady who offered some pretty convincing prices.

My KIA is currently insured with Admiral and was considering putting Mrs Exy's Porsche on with them.

What happens if you decide to move from their policies?

Cheers chaps,

I believe the biggest problem with admiral is if you have factory options or modifications in the event of a claim they only replace with standard. So for example you have an accident and need a new wheel you don't get an 18" but a standard 16/17" instead.

Not claimed, aside from a screen in the 986 (which was fine despite my fussyness!) but been insured with them last three years. Initially the 986 s & wife's 206, good prices eve at renewal.

This year they couldn't help me with her (new to her) A3 Sportback. So she left them. I had insured my daily (mangy Honda civic for £170 a year). I then added the 987 - reasonable - as both 987 & civic cost me about £450 together, very pleased.

Only downside was altering the plate (if later than 14 days of start of policy) admin charge (regardless of my moaning) was £17.50...

Other than that - happy.

I believe the biggest problem with admiral is if you have factory options or modifications in the event of a claim they only replace with standard. So for example you have an accident and need a new wheel you don't get an 18" but a standard 16/17" instead.

I would say that's b*ll*x unless you know it to be genuinely true. The fundamental principle of insurance is that if you sustain damage or loss, the insurer is obliged by law to put you back in the same position you were in before the loss.

We used them to get our then 19 year olds 2nd year insurance on a Punto. We put the Boxster on as well and insured it in Mrs RCS's name. She'd always driven the family car insured in my name so had no no claims discount, but they gave her full discount with confirmation from my insurors she was main named driver and we'd no claims. When doing the deal over the phone following on line quotes queried why it had risen slightly. The lady (also Canadian!!) said the premium varied almost day by day, but spoke to a supervisor and they did at the lower price. Can't complain at that - full no claims for Mrs RCS and a premium match.

At renewal last year lads premium hadn't moved despite another years no claims, and family car had just been changed and seemed a tad expensive, so we actually moved family car and Boxster to Saga (joys of getting old) and surprisingly Aviva did a great quote for the lad on his car, so we saved a bit.

Thems our experiences - nothing bad to report really - think the real proof with any insuror will be how well and quickly they handle any claim

I would say that's b*ll*x unless you know it to be genuinely true. The fundamental principle of insurance is that if you sustain damage or loss, the insurer is obliged by law to put you back in the same position you were in before the loss.

I'm with them at the moment and that's my understanding. I think it's more widely known with Elephant who are part of the same group. I don't know anyone who has put it to the test. I'll try to find the small print later and post it up. I had to tell them all the factory options on my car but there's a vague statement about it being a 'standard' replacement policy.

Here's the wording from the policy:

Standard parts replacement
Your policy does not cover any non standard parts (modifications). Manufacturer’s
optional extras are only covered if they have been declared and we have agreed to
arrange cover for them.
If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing
parts needed for your car to meet the manufacturer’s specification.
I have informed them of the factory options (many owners won't know what's standard and what isn't) on my car but these aren't listed on the schedule but in the extra conditions(endorsements) section is the following 'Standard parts replacement'.
It seems very grey to me and I only found out some time after I took out the policy after reading something elsewhere on the internet. I doubt I will use them again.

in my experience they quote quite keen premiums, and then hammer you with an 'admin' charge AND interest if you want to pay monthly, and I mean hammer, the combined admin and interest added up to over 30% last time I got a quote from them.

I wouldn't even get a quote from them now on principle, that admin charge takes the p1$$ out of the consumer credit act too as they do not consider it part of the interest rate, which it should be, so they try to tell you it's about 8% or something

I've currently got the Box and the commuter with them, when i did a search on the comparison sites they were about £50 cheaper than the next cheapest price then when i called them to take out the policy for adding the commuter actually took another £200 off the Boxster quote and the premium for the other car was the cheapest i had found so i was happy, not had to claim from them so god knows what their service is like

Cheers everyone :D

I am currently insured with Admiral who were the cheapest with the Meerkats last August for the family hatch (£280 IIRC).

Boxster is due next month so just checking out the options, renewal is £350ish for a classic policy with a NI firm and £220ish with Admiral/Meerkats. Major difference is the classic policy has an agreed valuation of £12k for the Boxster.

Eddy's observation/post is worth checking as we all know there is rarely a STANDARD Boxster!

Ollie, do you have an 01/02 number I can call?

Cheers everyone :D

I am currently insured with Admiral who were the cheapest with the Meerkats last August for the family hatch (£280 IIRC).

Boxster is due next month so just checking out the options, renewal is £350ish for a classic policy with a NI firm and £220ish with Admiral/Meerkats. Major difference is the classic policy has an agreed valuation of £12k for the Boxster.

Eddy's observation/post is worth checking as we all know there is rarely a STANDARD Boxster!

Ollie, do you have an 01/02 number I can call?

Sure but just for reference, the 03303 number is free to call from most mobile phone.

tel: 01707 642552

Thanks

Ollie

price.

at renewal time, and this is the third year on the trot, for a golf and an aygo they have mailed a quote for 1,100. i too call the nice canadian ladies and check back to confused.com and every year they drop it to 500ish.

i can't see a benefit with multi-car policies. one car is in my name, one in the wife's. you have separate no claims, separate everything. i thought originally it would mean you got one ncb and could apply to any car you owned, not so. so the only 'advantage' i see is you get to pay for all your insurance in one go, which frankly hurts.

Here's the wording from the policy:

Standard parts replacement
Your policy does not cover any non standard parts (modifications). Manufacturer’s
optional extras are only covered if they have been declared and we have agreed to
arrange cover for them.
If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing
parts needed for your car to meet the manufacturer’s specification.
I have informed them of the factory options (many owners won't know what's standard and what isn't) on my car but these aren't listed on the schedule but in the extra conditions(endorsements) section is the following 'Standard parts replacement'.
It seems very grey to me and I only found out some time after I took out the policy after reading something elsewhere on the internet. I doubt I will use them again.
Agreed.
You really do have to trawl through the small print before signing up as this and similar areas are often reason they are cheaper.
Cheap is often cheap for a reason.

They're fantastic. Go with them. We have a Nissan Juke, and two Boxsters on with them, and it's about 1k. My other half only has 2 years of driving and it was super cheap..

Limited mileage etc, but still very good...

Cheers!

Admiral will pay for the repairs at a porsche approved garage, they wont fit non standard parts so if its got PASM dampers or 19" wheels , leather door cards or an aerokit thats what they price for in the repair.

Obviously if you bought a set of aftermarket carbon wheels or a techart bodykit that may be a different story.

Thats not what the policy wording above states Berty - options only covered if they are declared and accepted (and I'm sure an additional payment extracted from you for the priviledge)

Thats not what the policy wording above states Berty - options only covered if they are declared and accepted (and I'm sure an additional payment extracted from you for the priviledge)

Admiral must have really shat in your cream bun matey :thumbsup_still:

Gonna have to decide something pronto though :axehead:

Not just Admiral EXY

Just saying you need to read very carefully the policy conditions before you buy.

If you always go for the chealpest quote and never read the small print you are gonna catch a cold one day.

Archived