How to: Fog lights as DRL: the Uktinpol 2 hack

drago.d

1 hour ago, Jimson666 said:

I was reading the hack just a bit nervous about doing it tbh 

It’s actually fairly straightforward. 

1. Remove light switch. Dead easy  

2. Disconnect plug. Dead easy. 

3. Remove wires from the holder. Dead fiddly, managed to snap a piece of plastic. No big deal. 

4. Cut diode to size. Dead easy. 

5. Re-cut diode cause you didn’t do Step 4 properly. Dead easy. 

6. Push diode into existing wires. Dead easy. 

7. Do steps 3, then 2, then 1. Dead easy. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jimson666 said:

I was reading the hack just a bit nervous about doing it tbh 

And that's fair I was too....but seriously its an absolute piece of cake. The hardest part is removing the cover of the plug, cut the cable tie off and have a fine flat blade screwdriver to hand. 

6 hours ago, chanlon1 said:

3. Remove wires from the holder. Dead fiddly, managed to snap a piece of plastic. No big deal. 

Exactly this......including step 5 :):D

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 12:31 AM, chanlon1 said:

When I did mine I didn't even bother with step 3 just pushed the diode in alongside the wires and it works fine. I did require step 5 though 😁

Dave

7 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Just done this mod. Very easy. Worked first time. Took 5 mins.

I have 9 diodes left over if anybody wants a few?

Yes please if you don't mind. Happy to paypal you the post + cost of diode!

11 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Yes please if you don't mind. Happy to paypal you the post + cost of diode!

Just PM me your address and i’ll pop a couple in an envelope for you tomorrow. Don’t worry about paying, they cost me about 15p each and I’m happy to help.

Edited by Jason986S

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, Jason986S said:

Just PM me your address and i’ll pop a couple in an envelope for you tomorrow. Don’t worry about paying, they cost me about 15p each and I’m happy to help.

Do you have any left please bud?

Cheers,

Paul

6 minutes ago, PaulP-MK said:

Do you have any left please bud?

Cheers,

Paul

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301773374367

probably easier to order a pack. I promised  @Dubdubz a couple 2 weeks ago and it completely slipped my mind (embarrassingly)

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2015 at 11:08 AM, drago.d said:

Finally managed to copy the text from the PDF into a post.

Anyway, here it is:

UKTINPOL 2 hack: DRL's for 987 Boxster

(Taken and edited from http://www.6speedonl...-lights-15.html)

I completed the Utkinpol II DRL hack using these tips and pictures...

(1) DIODE

Bought it from Maplins: item code QL73Q (1N4001S 1A Silicon Diode/Rectifier) £0.49 each

(2) REMOVE LIGHT SWITCH

I removed the light switch by pushing in the light switch while in the OFF position, and turning gently clockwise until it clicked. Then the switch just slides out. Unplug the Light switch from

the wiring harness and plug.

TIP: Be careful... The rubbery paint on the circular trim piece that seats the light switch

is extremely delicate. Even slightly scraping it with the wire harness could cause it to peel. I suggest placing or taping an index card there so you don't accidentally remove your paint. Do not put tape on the trim paint itself, however.

(3) REMOVE THE WIRE PLUG

TIP: No need to cut the black wire-tie. Here's what I did...

Instead of cutting the wire-tie, I was able raise the release clip (see picture 1), insert a small screwdriver in the slot next to the clip, and slide the plug out of the plug cover.

The yellow/white and red/yellow wires are clearly visible once the plug is out.

IMG_1353.png

(4) PREPARE DIODE

TIP: No need for shrink tubing or wire tape. Here's what I did...

The diode can fit nicely inside the plug cover. Bend the wire leads 90 degrees, close to the diode, as shown in picture 2. This will be just wide enough for the diode to fit between the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires on the plug. Cut the diode leads to a length of about 1/2"; should be long enough to reach up to the windowed metal "triangles" shown in picture 3.

IMG_1354.png

(5) INSERT DIODE

Slide the diode leads into the plug, along the yellow/white and the red/yellow wires. The cathode (the side of the diode with the silver band) must be inserted along the red/yellow wire. Again, picture 3 shows how this should look.

TIP: The diode side with the silver band goes with red/yellow wire.

IMG_1355.png

(6) REPLACE PLUG COVER & REINSTALL SWITCH

Slide the plug with the diode back into the plug cover, and snap in place. Reconnect the plug

and wire harness to the light switch. Then, insert the switch into the circular trim piece on the dash, gently push in the light switch and turn counter-clockwise.

IMG_1356.png

(7) MY EXPERIENCE

It works, and the car looks as though these lights were intended to operate like this. Certainly no more distracting or attention grabbing than some of the VW OEM setups (or plenty of other brands not using LEDs as DRLs).

I did the hack sometime around the end of August 2014; so far no battery drain issues, no issues from other road users including the boys in blue, and no error messages or the like.

With the ignition on and the light switch in the Home position the fogs now come on on their own i.e. no dipped head lamps or sidelights (either front or rear). The fog light symbol on the light switch surround illuminates to remind you they are on, and if you wish to switch them off you just have to turn the switch to Off.

When you turn the side lights or head lights on, the fog "DRLs" go out so the car only has the lights on you would normally expect.

The "Home" lighting functions remain exactly as normal, too.

It was a surprisingly easy and quick mod; maybe 10 minutes, tops. Reversal would be just as easy and quick, too. No soldering or cutting of wires required!

Just done this mod, how simple, with great results, Ive fitted the LED aftermarket whole light units! This now saves me switching them on!! Love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kjb1 said:

Just done this mod, how simple, with great results, Ive fitted the LED aftermarket whole light units! This now saves me switching them on!! Love it.

Such a cheap and worth while modification. It really is a simple 5 minute job too. Literally. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2017 at 3:24 PM, Araf said:

I quite agree.  I'm wondering if this hack has been reverse engineered from the factory DRLs on a Gen2 which I think were a cost option.  No doubt the little black box that costs tens of pounds was opened up and found to contain a 50p component.

My only problem with be working out which wires to bridge with the diode. :unsure:  Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Hi - new here, my first post and I'm wondering if anyone's sorted this yet?

2009 987.2 Non-Xenon - wanting to use the diode hack to have just the LED strips below the fog lights (and the rear lights if they're on the same sidelight/parking light circuit) on when the light switch is in the "Home" position - ar alternatively a wiring diagram? I'm hoping it's just a different pin to use in the light switch connector.....

1 hour ago, JHamshaw said:

Hi - new here, my first post and I'm wondering if anyone's sorted this yet?

2009 987.2 Non-Xenon - wanting to use the diode hack to have just the LED strips below the fog lights (and the rear lights if they're on the same sidelight/parking light circuit) on when the light switch is in the "Home" position - ar alternatively a wiring diagram? I'm hoping it's just a different pin to use in the light switch connector.....

I bought some diodes and that's as far as I've got, so far.  Was it really two years ago. :o 

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Haha 1

Having done this to my previous two 987's and my current 997.. the hardest part for me has always been pushing the diode into the plug as the wire is almost as flimsy as solder wire and bends very  easily.....i am not know for my patience and delicate touch mind !

On 7/22/2019 at 8:50 PM, Araf said:

I bought some diodes and that's as far as I've got, so far.  Was it really two years ago. :o 

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks - and having diodes to hand I can now save you some time....

Boxster 987.2 2009 Non-Xenon :

- Switched off "DRL" (which is actually just dipped beams and tail lights in non-xenon cars) in the on board computer

- Using a wiring diagram (from a Cayman, but hoping and subsequently proving it's largely the same) , tried the hack, but between the yellow/red and grey wires. The grey wire is the sidelight/position light circuit.

- LED sidelight bars and tail lights illuminate with the switch in the "Home" position, BUT the "lights on" warning sounds when the key is removed - correct behaviour for the sidelights but not the desired effect. I guess the foglights aren't connected to the warning beeper as they go off when the headlights are turned off in any case (normally), which is  probably one reason why the hack works......

- Reverted to the "standard" hack as described earlier in this thread which works fine 

Ho hum, now off to buy some LED fog bulbs of the lowest output/least focussed beam pattern I can find.....! 😉

4 minutes ago, JHamshaw said:

Thanks - and having diodes to hand I can now save you some time....

Boxster 987.2 2009 Non-Xenon :

- Switched off "DRL" (which is actually just dipped beams and tail lights in non-xenon cars) in the on board computer

- Using a wiring diagram (from a Cayman, but hoping and subsequently proving it's largely the same) , tried the hack, but between the yellow/red and grey wires. The grey wire is the sidelight/position light circuit.

- LED sidelight bars and tail lights illuminate with the switch in the "Home" position, BUT the "lights on" warning sounds when the key is removed - correct behaviour for the sidelights but not the desired effect. I guess the foglights aren't connected to the warning beeper as they go off when the headlights are turned off in any case (normally), which is  probably one reason why the hack works......

- Reverted to the "standard" hack as described earlier in this thread which works fine 

Ho hum, now off to buy some LED fog bulbs of the lowest output/least focussed beam pattern I can find.....! 😉

These are similar to the ones I run in mine...look really good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ralbay-Vision-Upgrade-Bright-1200LM/dp/B07G3TP92K/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=2pcs+H7+Projection+Fog+Light+LED+Bulb&qid=1564072732&s=gateway&sr=8-6

• 1 year later...

hi, i have a 2009 987.2s. I tried this mod this morning and unfortunately it doesn't work.  When I set to "home" and the accessory key, I have the fog lights that come on without the parking or low beams like the mod is supposed to.  The problem is when I start the engine, the fog stays on but the low beams light up like before!  Anyone have a solution?

• 2 months later...

Hi
I'm happy to join the forum.
I live in France and I am the owner of a Porsche Boxster 987.1 S 3.4L YM2007.
This vehicle is my first Porsche.

I just done the diode hack. My fog lights act now as running lights. Great mod ! Works perfectly.
In france, it is forbiden to drive with FOG lights (without fog). I suppose because the power of halogen bulbs is too high (35W)
I'd like to install H8 LED bulbs, less bright.
I guess 5W LED (400 lumens) would be suitable to run the modified FOG light as DRL.
Do you know where I can purchase this type of LED ?

BOX1.jpg

IMG_2832.JPG

• 1 year later...

Just a quick thread resurrection to say that I found this hack on here via a Google search.. have performed it, and it works perfectly. Thought I'd better join '.net' and say thank you! LED fog bulbs purchased and will be installed soon! 

P.S. anyone need any diodes?! 🤣

Edited by Strugs